Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Member's Forums > Off Topic > Hobbies

Hobbies

The official "Gun Nut" thread.....

This is a discussion on The official "Gun Nut" thread..... within the Hobbies forums, part of the Off Topic category!
I know we've got a few floating around KJ Country, so I figured we needed our own special place to ...

A section to discuss your other hobbies besides Jeeps. Sports, camping, other non Jeep vehicles, non Jeep electronics, etc.

Like Tree352Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The official "Gun Nut" thread.....

I know we've got a few floating around KJ Country, so I figured we needed our own special place to talk guns......

So to start things off......

I'm presently shopping for a new 9mm. Our range has a couple of steel plate racks that I really enjoy shooting. Range rules dictate we shoot any steel targets with a center fire gun only, this is because with some of these plates, .22's tend to bounce off and back at the firing line.
I don't like beating up my Limited Edition Kimber Target Match 1911, or my custom reloaded match grade ammo on the steel, as I'd prefer to save both gun and ammo for our matches. Because of this I want to get another center fire handgun that's cheap to shoot, and right now nothing is cheaper than 9mm.
I've got my choices narrowed down to either the Beretta 92FS, or FN's FNP-9, with a third possible choice being a Springfield XD-9.
In the past I had a Beretta 96FS...(.40 S&W version of the 92FS)...loved the gun, didn't care for the caliber of ammo, it's fine for police work, but really isn't my cup of tea for range play and pistol matches. Wouldn't mind having that gun again in 9mm. The FNP-9 gets rave reviews from both the gun writers and those who own & shoot them, I prefer metal guns over plastic, don't have anything against plastic guns, as I've owned a couple in the past, just prefer metal one's......

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions from other gun nuts.......

2014 Toyota Tundra 4X4

2003 H-D FatBoy 100 Year Anniversary Model
Road Captain for the Red Knights NJ Chapter #23 Atlantic City....
FDNY 343...Let us Never Forget.....
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer / Shotgun & Rifle Instructor....
SurfGuitar141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I really like my FN's. If you're thinking about the FNP-9, I'd suggest that you take a look at the FNX-9. It has the low bore axis like the FNP 45 Tactical (one of my favorites) so you have less recoil and better control. It also has 4 backstraps instead of 2 so you customize the grip better to suit your needs.
'17 Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport
Sold - '17 Chevy Colorado Z71 Crew Cab
'18 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71
'19 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
KYLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

My suggestion, and I may be a bit biased, is to check out a CZ75.

I've owned a Glock 22, HK USP40, Several M1911 types, Walther P99, and the CZ puts them all outside the X ring....so to speak.

And it is also the most inexpensive.
I'm not a fan of either the Beretta or the FN. It's a personal choice, but the Berrette feels too chunky and the FNs controls are small and hard to negotiate with gloved hands.

There are several different models of the CZ75; SA only, SA/DA, Steel or alloy frames. They generally can be found cheaper than the two you've mentioned also.

Whatever you choose, have fun.

2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo.Silver 3.6L with QT2/Select-terrain
JK Rubicon wheels wrapped with 265/70-17 BFG KO2
WeatherTech liners, tow hooks
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would recommend either a Heckler & Koch, Glock or Smith & Wesson M&P series. I have only heard good things about the Fabrique Nationale and Springfield XD & XDm but I have never shot one. On a side note FN makes the M240 and M249 SAW.

I must say that the M9 is my least favorite pistol of all of the ones that I have shot.

My current carry, Gen4 Glock 17

Smith & Wesson M&P9c.

Disassembled Smith & Wesson M&P9
Garmin StreetPilot C330 GPS Navigation.
Boston Acoustics 275W 6 Speaker Stereo.

Please Read This
LibertyOrDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by KYLiberty View Post
I really like my FN's. If you're thinking about the FNP-9, I'd suggest that you take a look at the FNX-9. It has the low bore axis like the FNP 45 Tactical (one of my favorites) so you have less recoil and better control. It also has 4 backstraps instead of 2 so you customize the grip better to suit your needs.
I would prefer the FNX-9, but New Jersey has a 10 round mag limit, and as of now FN is not offering the FNX-9 with a 10 round mag, that's why I'm considering the FNP-9 since it is available with a 10 round mag.

Like I said, I had the Beretta 96FS, I really liked that gun, especially for what I want it for....(strictly range work, as there's currently no CCW here).....I just didn't like the .40 S&W round.....and I prefer metal guns over plastic, but if FN offered the FNX for Jersey, I'd definitely go for one of those.....

2014 Toyota Tundra 4X4

Old 11-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by SurfGuitar141 View Post
I would prefer the FNX-9, but New Jersey has a 10 round mag limit, and as of now FN is not offering the FNX-9 with a 10 round mag, that's why I'm considering the FNP-9 since it is available with a 10 round mag.

Like I said, I had the Beretta 96FS, I really liked that gun, especially for what I want it for....(strictly range work, as there's currently no CCW here).....I just didn't like the .40 S&W round.....and I prefer metal guns over plastic, but if FN offered the FNX for Jersey, I'd definitely go for one of those.....
Low capacity mags only sucks. You may have to move to KY. You can 100 round drums here.

Oh, back on topic a little more, since you don't like beating up your Limited Edition Kimber, have you thought about something like the Tactical Pro II in a 9mm with 9 round capacity? Don't know if that is anywhere near the price range you want to be in for this gun though.

Last edited by KYLiberty; 12-02-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was looking at the 9mm Kimbers last night online, the prices all run from $950.00 on up.....I'm looking to keep it under $600.00, $500.00 if I have to buy extra mags and a new holster for it.
I even looked at the Springfield Loaded 9mm's and their prices are up there, but that's based on manufacturer's MSRP, they usually sell for a lot less at the gun shop, just how much less would determine if I can swing it or not.....

I'd even consider a Browning Hi-Power if the right deal came along, but for now it looks like the Beretta 92FS or 92A1 will probably be the route I go.....I prefer metal guns, I already know how the gun is going to feel in my hands having had the 96FS before, they're easy to clean and maintain, and there's multiple sources of spare parts out there for them should it develop any issues.....

2014 Toyota Tundra 4X4

Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Seems two of the area gun shops carry the Beretta 92's, one has an M9 in the cabinet, the other has a few coming in this week.....both are quoting prices at or around $650.00 N.I.B......

Here's a couple shots of my Kimber for your viewing enjoyment.....

LiquidSteel and Crackuh_Don like this.

2014 Toyota Tundra 4X4

Old 11-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bud's has them for $568. It would save you some money to buy if the shops around you don't have too high of FFL transfer fees. Have I mentioned I love living in Lexington, KY.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/23505
Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by KYLiberty View Post
Bud's has them for $568. It would save you some money to buy if the shops around you don't have too high of FFL transfer fees. Have I mentioned I love living in Lexington, KY.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/23505
The cost of being an FFL in New Jersey is beyond belief, besides the cost to keep up your FFL with the fed's, the state nails these guys with licensing fees for everything. The one shop I used to deal with used to discount pretty good, but anymore his prices are just as high as every other shop, and the over all cost for a gun here can sometimes run at or above MSRP. These guys really do have a much higher overhead than dealers in most other states. The anti gun democrats here would love nothing more than to run them all out of business, the one's that survive are the bigger stores that sell a large line of hunting & work clothes, boots, gloves, hats, archery, and other accessories. Few if any stock powder, primers & bullet heads since the cost to do so is even higher......

There's a class action suit against the state right now over many of their draconian gun laws, focused mainly towards their "Justifiable Need" clause in the CCW law. One state senator from my district is pushing a new "shall Issue" CCW law, and there were election promises from our new republican governor concerning the anti gun laws here, but as yet he's been too busy priming himself for a run as president, and ripping the pensions & benefits away from cops, firemen and teachers, so who knows if it'll ever improve.....

2014 Toyota Tundra 4X4