Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail - western Wisconsin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We're going to do a long day trip to SW Wisconsin this Sunday. We're headed out to the Trans-Wisconsin Adventure Trail... or at least the section of it that is between IL and Prairie Du Chien... we're going with another local Jeep guy (we won't be in Eugene this time, but the Blazer).

Reading about the trail, it sounds like it might be something fun to try for spring/fall months... get a small group together and run it in 2-3 days, camp...

Per the website:
The Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail is a 600+ mile route that starts at the Illinois/Wisconsin border near Galena IL, and finishes northeast of Cornucopia Wisconsin at Lake Superior. The trail was designed for dual sport and Adventure style motorcycles but it can also be done by high clearance vehicles with a slight route change.

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope to have pics when we get back - I was thinking maybe arranging a weekend trip later in the year if anyone is interested. Maybe good for those folks near the mighty Mississippi?

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear it's a wee bit snowy up yonder. Are you actually hitting part of the trail, or scoping it out for later?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
We'll do as much as we can get away with. From what I read, a lot of it in the southern section is gravel road with some dirt sections. The 'fun' sections are further north.

We're hoping to scope it out for future and nicer weather travel.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are adventure motorcycle tours a couple times a year along this same route. Didn't know it was also available to 4x4s.

This would definitely be something I would be interested in, I could scout some of the sections too. Do you have a more detailed map, or link, for the route?

Looks like it runs right past my hometown.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jayme.
I'll try to do some scouting of the central portion as time and weather permit and keep everyone posted.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice article and pictures. Makes me want to try the trail myself. :)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on where I end up job-wise, that just might happen. :D

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still liking this idea, although I hate the acronym for the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail.:think:

My schedule for spring is pretty tight, but hopefully I'll be free when you make the plans...at least for some of it.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been looking into the route. Looks like most of it is Jeepable (yes, new verb), just a few sections are OHV trails at least as far as I've looked.

For corny photo ops; the route goes very near Liberty, WI. and there is a Liberty Lane farther north. Not sure if there is a County Highway KJ:burnout:

It's been a few years since I've wheeled up near Black River Falls, but I will check out a few alternate routes through that area.

Chad Berger (Lone Wolf blogger) is from Westby, which is only about 45min from me. I am going to try and contact him for more info on the northern sections.

Even if I can't make the trip, I'll pass along any info.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any info you can pass along. I really want to make this happen - potentially as a trial run for my KJ after the transfer case and trans go in, and before I take it out to the PNW this summer.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm totally interested in this! Is is just open for public use, do I need a permit or anything?

Also, Jo, where exactly can we pick up the trail around here? The map kinda shows it near Sparta?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the route runs right thru Sparta (which is where I grew up.)
As far as I can tell, the only permits needed would be for OHV trails, which are off limits to Jeeps anyway. (still researching the northern part of the route to find bypass routes)
Possibly a State Park pass for camping and such?

If I can do it, I would like to meet Jayme in Galena and do the whole trail complete.
Otherwise, we could just about meet them anywhere.

I do know of a better route from Cataract to north of Black River, just need to scout it out to make sure it's still passable in the Black River State Forest north of Millston.

Of course, this all depends on the results of the KJ's operation on Monday.:popcorn:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the only permits needed would be for OHV trails, which are off limits to Jeeps anyway.

This is correct.

Is there like a trail head or something?

Not that we found - directions essentially give you a road to start from. That's what we did when we did the little southern segment. It's pretty specific about which roads/routes to follow.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jayme, once you guys decide on the dates that you are going to do it, please let me know. If I can I will meet up, at least for some of it.

Latest posts

Members online