Hi from Memphis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan_G

Reaction score
I've visited from time to time over the years to gather info. I've always considering buying my Mom's 05 Liberty and might actually pull the trigger this fall. It's a Limited 4x4 V6 with 62k miles. She's had it since new. Still has the original suspension. Has a little sag and needs a few things fixed but I think its a great daily driver. I'd like to just make it a little more capable. I would like a lift and bigger tires but I don't want to get into needing to regear so from what I've been reading, I'm thinking the OME 925/947 with stock size A/T tires would fit me best. I'm curious if it would be better to switch the stock 17's for 16's? I'll be doing more reading and posting more questions in the future.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've visited from time to time over the years to gather info. I've always considering buying my Mom's 05 Liberty and might actually pull the trigger this fall. It's a Limited 4x4 V6 with 62k miles. She's had it since new. Still has the original suspension. Has a little sag and needs a few things fixed but I think its a great daily driver. I'd like to just make it a little more capable. I would like a lift and bigger tires but I don't want to get into needing to regear so from what I've been reading, I'm thinking the OME 925/947 with stock size A/T tires would fit me best. I'm curious if it would be better to switch the stock 17's for 16's? I'll be doing more reading and posting more questions in the future.

Keep 16 inch
go at least 926/947s
with either OME or Bilstein shocks you could easily do 245-70-16s or 255-70-16s
At 62,000 miles its past due for suspension upgrade

Dan_G

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I’ve read some of your posts on here. That shouldn’t hurt mpg’s too much right? I want to keep this for a good 5 yrs. If chose to commute with it I rather get a commuter car but I would be open to regear at that point. Its just that, if I regear I might as well install lockers too. I’m new to this but I will try to get my feet wet at some point.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sticking with those size tires will not hurt mileage that much , plus only lifting 1.5 inches or so above new stock height

Dan_G

Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I got confused and was thinking the different OME springs had different amounts of lift. If I go with 926's in the front then I should go 948's in the rear too, so I don't sag under load? Aside from random hauls (since I don't have a truck), the weekend getaways will at most be some camping equipment or a kayak on the roof. I'm thinking of doing the suspension this fall/winter. I'm moving back to northern CA in 5 months so tires, or wheels/tires will wait until after that. Then I'll be looking for a group to join so I can go get some offroad experience. A coworker here suggested I look into "overlanding".

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.