Hello, transfer case/drivetrain question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pepethejeep

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a green 2003 Liberty Limited edition that I call Pepe. Me and my buddy were trailing this morning, and I noticed that two separate times I had it in 4 wheel drive all time and the back seemed to tug and then engage instead of smoothly accelerating when I stepped on the gas. The only weird thing is that it fixed itself both times and functioned normally afterwords. I was just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if it is nothing. Thanks.
Wow I just wrote an essay.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a green 2003 Liberty Limited edition that I call Pepe. Me and my buddy were trailing this morning, and I noticed that two separate times I had it in 4 wheel drive all time and the back seemed to tug and then engage instead of smoothly accelerating when I stepped on the gas. The only weird thing is that it fixed itself both times and functioned normally afterwords. I was just wondering if this is something to be concerned about or if it is nothing. Thanks.
Wow I just wrote an essay.

Could be many things causing it
what transfer case do you have?
when was transmission, transfer case and diff fluids changed?
Are tires all the same size?
Does it have trash loc in the rear diff?
Little more info would help , like was it in 4 lo or 4 hi when it done it, mud or just dirt trails ?

Pepethejeep

Reaction score
The transfer case has 242j stamped for the model and it is 272 ratio. I have no clue when the fluids were changed, I got the Jeep a week ago, all the tires are the same size, I am not sure if it has a trash lock or not, there is one sticker with a bar code and the other has all the ink worn off. I just noticed there is a very tiny leak on the full cap of the transfer case.