tire pressure monitor sensor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fredfordguy

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought an 07 Liberty Limited, love the vehicle but have a question. I'm planning on running a set of steel rims with snow treads during the winter, saving the alloys for summer. The alloy's have TPS sensors, the steel ones dont. Will this mess up my computer? I've heard the sensors are pretty pricey. thanks for any advice....Mike in NH

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensors are cheap if you get them from rock auto like me. I run a set of winter tire and winter rims and I got you can get a set of five sensors for about 125. Also if you do not tire sensors your trucks computer will always have a message on the evic that comes up and tells you that there is a sensor missing or bad and it will not let you vie anything until you hit any button on the evic. That message comes up every time you start the truck up and it gets annoying after a while.

fredfordguy

Reaction score
If I get some used sensors, there are 4 on craigslist for $60.0,do I have to take it to the dealer to calibrate them to my vehicle? sorry for being kinda slow on this stuff, thanks for the assistance....

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any good tire place should have the training tool. The way to get the sensors trained is by putting the jeep throw its training cycle and having the tire place trigger each sensor in the order that the EVIC states. Your owners manual will tell you how to put thejeep into its training mode.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T waste your money on used! They have a max life expectancy of 5 years because of the non replaceable battery. Yea, yea, some of you've got em that're 7-8 years old and still working,,,,keep it to yourself, you're running on borrowed time.

Are the snows/steels already mounted? If so, they'll have to be broken down to instal. We, and most shops do free re-learn procedure if you buy tires from us, usually even do it free with mount and balance if the customer's not a ****.

Talk to your tire shop, often they'll give you quite a deal on tire/wheel/sensor combo, if you're in the market for it all at once.

Your local O'Reilly will often beat online for that matter.

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^yeah, don't waste money on used sensors.

OP......if yours is an 07 the 07 sensors might just train themselves when installed and you do not need any tool to reset them. Mine is an 05 and mine just set automaticly. I think the 02-04 KJ's had to be reset with a tool but 05-07 are different.

Dave