New Tires on the KK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AjosephNGS

Reaction score
I see a lot of questions popping up about tire selection. I just bought a set of Yokohama Geolander ATS in 235/70/16 for my stock KK. They are an approved alternative fitment compared to the stock 225's. As you see in the photo they don't look much different than stock in size but if you've been driving on 225's you notice the difference right away. The detail on the sidewall, tread pattern and depth look WAY better than stock to the eye - Just didn't translate that well in the photo. I can see where anything larger would have some rubb issues on stock vehicles. I also feel like they stick like glue to the pavement and I no longer squeal around corners and on/off ramps. They are only 2 days old though. I'll post back about wear and their off road performance once I get them in the dirt. FYI: you'll also probably find a LOT more option in the 235/70/16 than in the 225 tire size if your local shops are anything like mine. I ordered them on tire rack and had them installed locally for about $515 all in which around here was $200 less than i could get any shops for a good all terrain tire.

You must be registered for see images attach

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have kept white sidewall out (if they are white on the inside now).

AjosephNGS

Reaction score
In response to the white letters - eh, I like black. To each his own

In response to the size -

Believe me I would LOVE to go bigger. I'm not thrilled with these kiddy shoes. I put these photos up so people could see what the approved alternative fitment would look like on their jeep. There are an awful lot of people on the forums here that talk about rub on 245's. Do they, or don't they?

Also, I didn't really go smaller. I went wider. From my reading that appeared to be the largest tire to fit without modification. I just checked the specs again you're right by a slight margin on height. The 225/75 is VERY slightly taller, like 2 tenths of and inch. So you're right about smaller but I would hardly consider .2" smaller, plus that's a pretty marginal difference for what seemed like a much larger selection in the 235/70's and the added traction from the width - which is admittedly also slight. They are about .4 inches wider and .2 inches shorter.

Perhaps it's time to post up some authoritative information about tire size in this forum. 99% of the posts I read here when trying to make my decision on tire size ended without conclusion. "Try this size and let us know how it works..." "You could try 245's but you may rub...." I think just about every KK owner who doesn't have a lift would like to here some solid answers about what works and what doesn't. Which is why I decided to make a post about my mundane upgrade. I think it's good info for guys like me who had no idea what a 235/70 would look like compared to a 225/75. Let's see some photo's and comments form someone with 245/75's or 235/85's. I'm sure it would help a lot guys buying tires make informed decisions.

Also, I think a lot of people would like to to know the maximum diameter opposed to width since that's what fills these wells. 245/75's would be 1.5 inches bigger in diameter than stock but a 235/85 would be even larger than that and have a half inch less width to rub...in theory... It would seem to me that thinner tires with a larger diameter would be the ticket for filling up these big wheel wells if you're not lifted and avoiding rub. At what point does that affect your suspension travel? Thoughts anyone? :freak3:

Cheers!

Jeep gave us massive wells and no way to fill 'em. :favorites68:
You must be registered for see images attach

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Wow. Well it's pretty common knowledge that a 235/70 will fit as it is the optional wider size offered from the factory. The other common tidbit that has been posted on here many, many times is that a 245/70R16 will fit any stock Liberty with no rubbing. I should know, I have done it TWICE ...

Now a 245/75... another ball game entirely. No way those will fit stock.

AjosephNGS

Reaction score
Right on. Like i said before, the post was just to show guys who are tire shopping what the 235/70's look like. It's good to know that 245/70's fit. I'd probably opt for those in the future. Too bad you're still only getting another 2 tenths of an inch in height over stock 225/75 though. Guess if we want man tires that lift is going be needed after all... :)

Latest posts

Members online