E-rated tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC04KJ

Reaction score
Anybody running E-rated 10 ply tires on your Liberty? If so, what pressure are you running at?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No need for ten ply, unless you are a ton truck hauling huge loads
If you bought them well ...:shrug:
So just asking "If" or did you already??

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Es on my F150 - with no load I usually have them in the 40 PSI range. When I load up I pump them up to 80 PSI.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
34 lbs. I've ran E's for 3 years now only because they were on both sets of wheels that I have bought and I'm cheap. This last set ride a lot better than the first set. Even at 34lbs they would jar your teeth. All tire brands are not the same!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
34 lbs. I've ran E's for 3 years now only because they were on both sets of wheels that I have bought and I'm cheap. This last set ride a lot better than the first set. Even at 34lbs they would jar your teeth. All tire brands are not the same!

Depends on the manufacturer, I had considered going to Ten Ply because of the longevity they provide over a standard tire when not worked. I've seen some Ten Ply's that have lasted 80k miles and looked good for another 20 at least. What I have been taught is when you have a Ten Ply, a non load PSI should be about 65, when loaded you want to run the 80 cold recommendation. After you are done with your heavy load you put them back down to 65. Reason why is since its a High PSI tire any less than 65 is considered under inflation on them. This comes from the horses mouth of a major tire manufacturer.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main business is as a tire shop. Mufflers, brakes, front end repair/alignment are all important sidelines.

95% of my customers who buy LR-E tires DON'T need them but buy them for the rough gravel roads in this area. For mail carriers, chicken farmers who run 2-3 miles of gravel 20 times per day (these guys are smart enough to build their chicken houses next to somebody else's home, NOT their own) it may even be a good idea. Most of the rest simply spend more on something they don't need and gonna beat their vehicles up due to rough ride for nothing.

As far as 10 ply on a Liberty(or any Jeep), Samurai, Explorer, RAV-4, etc. Any pressure over 25-28 is just gonna beat your **** off.

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure they are assuming that you have a vehicle heavy enough to warrant 10 ply tires?

I should add a disclaimer that this same Manufacturer tells their retail outlets that Nitrogen is a waste of money, a fraud/scam pick your word which is why they don't sell it, but sends out memos and tells the public Nitrogen is important and should be done.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running about 30psi in 245/75R16E goodyears. Decent ride and wearing evenly.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide whether to go with E1-Load Hankooks or C1-Load Duratracs now. Hankooks are cheaper by $16.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Liberty I ran 10 ply tires (245/75). I did the chalk test (always use the chalk test to tell what PSI to keep them at instead of basing it off others).. I ran them at 33psi... I hated it.. When I got my lift the Liberty rode so nice until I put those bastards on. Turned my ride so rough.

I currently run an E rated tire on my current Jeep and it's no-where near as jarring or bad as it was in the Liberty though. the 35's I run at 29psi.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, not a big fan of Goodyear overall, but unless you're running a mail route over country gravel roads, or some regular, serious, offroading I'd really go with the LR-C just for the better ride quality. Both wear fairly well.

Bob

Last edited:

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 6 ply Mastercraft AXTs in a 245/75.... I wouldn't go past that in a Liberty. 10 ply tires are great if you have 1 tons under something and it takes the abuse but on a liberty... Just don't. 6 ply tires will give you some flexibility and ride comfort but still offer better off road capability vs a standard load... Just my two cents from working at a tire/full service facility!

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had considered running the Bridgestone Duravis M700, its an 10 ply beast but its almost bullet proof my only issue was and why I didn't go with it, it was just black wall and when it comes to trucks and SUV's I prefer OWL. Sold a few sets of them to guys who wanted tires that would hold up in the backwoods for hunting. They LOVED them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.