15" vs 16" 03 libby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codad

Reaction score
recently lifted the jeep 2.5". Now I'm looking for new tires and rims, I want 31x10.50 but don't know if I should get crager soft 8's in 15 or 16

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Pretty sure 15" won't clear the calipers.

Better minds will be along with better advice.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
recently lifted the jeep 2.5". Now I'm looking for new tires and rims, I want 31x10.50 but don't know if I should get crager soft 8's in 15 or 16

First thing , what lift ?
Second why 31X10.50 s ?
Third if its a full spring lift then 7 inch wide wheels with 4 inches of backspacing work best, 245-75-16s are the same height
245-75-16s, 265-70-16s and 31X10.50-15s are all the same height basically
I run 265-70-16s on one of my KJs with 4.10 gearing which makes it run like stock

Codad

Reaction score
I did a full suspension lift with ome springs an bilstein shocks. I found a really good deal on a set of 16x8 wheels with 245/75r16's with 4.5 inch of back spacing. will those work?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a full suspension lift with ome springs an bilstein shocks. I found a really good deal on a set of 16x8 wheels with 245/75r16's with 4.5 inch of back spacing. will those work?

Best is a little wider tire on 8 inch , even though many run the 245-75-16s

BUT 5 inches of backspacing is best, with 4.5 inch will have to run way more bumpstop

Codad

Reaction score
the deal I found is 4 vision 16x8 85 soft 8's with 4.5 backspace and 4 brand new goodyear wrangler duratrac for around 800 which is good for where I live. are they worth getting and running. could I just run a 1/4 or 1/2 inch wheel spacer or is that an even worse idea

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the deal I found is 4 vision 16x8 85 soft 8's with 4.5 backspace and 4 brand new goodyear wrangler duratrac for around 800 which is good for where I live. are they worth getting and running. could I just run a 1/4 or 1/2 inch wheel spacer or is that an even worse idea

Adding wheel spacers makes it even worse spacing the tire and wheel combo out even more
What size Duratracs ? If you you must run 8 inch wide wheels
then 255-70 or 265-70-16s sit much better on an 8 inch wheel
of course will lose power anytime you get up into that size along with gas mileage unless you regear

Codad

Reaction score
Adding wheel spacers makes it even worse spacing the tire and wheel combo out even more
What size Duratracs ? If you you must run 8 inch wide wheels
then 255-70 or 265-70-16s sit much better on an 8 inch wheel
of course will lose power anytime you get up into that size along with gas mileage unless you regear

245/75R16 Duratracs already mounted and balanced

Codad

Reaction score
Well good luck, all you can say at this point I guess
need to stop wasting my time

you're the one asking what size they were.... I haven't even bought them I meant the duratracs are already on those wheels

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're the one asking what size they were.... I haven't even bought them I meant the duratracs are already on those wheels

I think Tom read that as I did, that you already bought the tires and wheels and had them mounted and balanced... not that they already come that way as a package.

If the backspacing was 5", I'd say go for it.. if you're just looking for appearances, and are mall crawling this thing around, it'll probably be fine. If you are going off of the pavement at all, either a lot more bumpstop or you'll rub the crap out of things when the wheel articulates.. it's not ideal, but it's also hard to say exactly how bad it'll be until they're mounted up.

Why are you so hung up on soft 8's? I think that may be limiting you some.. or perhaps you could find a way to just save up a touch more and get the soft 8 style in the correct size and backspacing.

It took me 4 years to get to where I could swing the OME/Bilstein lift. But if I was going to do it, I was going to do it right.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
245/75R16 Duratracs already mounted and balanced

To 99.9% of the folks that means they are bought, mounted, balanced and paid for and waiting to install after you lift it.

Maybe we're not explaining it right, many of us have been building KJs for years . Me, for example since 2004, my 04 has had 8 different sizes of tire, 3 different wheels 4 different lifts at various heights , different gears, 3 different aftermarket front bumpers besides doing over 55 lifts on KJs with various tires and wheel combos.
Many are like me and have done a lot.
So when we ask a question or comment, its not a Fakebook answer from someone who just bought a KJ and has never owned any 4x4, its from years of experience knowing what works best, what doesn't .

Latest posts