KK lift/tires, etc. general info.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, it's getting time to start thinking of replacing my KJ. Today I saw a lifted KK on the road that looked pretty nice, and have seen a few with reasonable mileage for decent prices, so I was just looking for a little info specific to the KKs. Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in a KK UNLESS I lifted it.

Do the same general rules apply to the KK as the KJ. Just wondering what I would be getting into with a newer Libby.

With a OME lift, does the tire limit still sit around 31" diameter to avoid rubbing?
If I stay at the 2.5" lift can I get away with stock UCAs?

What else would I need to know? Brake lines? Alignment issues? gearing? etc.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, it's getting time to start thinking of replacing my KJ. Today I saw a lifted KK on the road that looked pretty nice, and have seen a few with reasonable mileage for decent prices, so I was just looking for a little info specific to the KKs. Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in a KK UNLESS I lifted it.

Do the same general rules apply to the KK as the KJ. Just wondering what I would be getting into with a newer Libby.

With a OME lift, does the tire limit still sit around 31" diameter to avoid rubbing?
If I stay at the 2.5" lift can I get away with stock UCAs?

What else would I need to know? Brake lines? Alignment issues? gearing? etc.

Thanks

First it seems most all KKs get worse mileage so be ready for that
As far as suspension same front coil/shocks work for both, rear shocks are the same and the rear coils are different. Sticking to 2.5 inches of lift, you shouldn't have too many issues. With the way the track bar and sway bar are on the KKs you will have issues if you go up into the 3-4 inch range ( longer track bar and also extended sway bar links for the rear
Same size as far as tires go as well on both pretty well, stick with 30s unless you are regearing
Stock UCAs work as well if staying lower

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. figured you'd chime in with the answers.:waytogo:

Nice to know about the fuel economy.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I need to get either a new motorcycle or a new vehicle this year. Both are getting along in age/mileage, and I don[t want to have to make 2 payments. Just starting to make a plan.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. figured you'd chime in with the answers.:waytogo:

Nice to know about the fuel economy.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I need to get either a new motorcycle or a new vehicle this year. Both are getting along in age/mileage, and I don[t want to have to make 2 payments. Just starting to make a plan.

Buy more KJs LOL
Thats what i am doing, buying low mileage one owner ones in great shape and upgrading them to what I want :shrug::icon_lol:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low mileage KJs are extinct around here. Hell, "for sale" KJs are an endangered species altogether.

It usually takes me about 6 months to a year to decide what I want to buy for a vehicle, so I usually start plenty early. I may go to the dark side and check out a Subaru CrossTrek.

The motorcycle that I was going to go look at on Saturday just sold today:thumbsdown:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low mileage KJs are extinct around here. Hell, "for sale" KJs are an endangered species altogether.

It usually takes me about 6 months to a year to decide what I want to buy for a vehicle, so I usually start plenty early. I may go to the dark side and check out a Subaru CrossTrek.

The motorcycle that I was going to go look at on Saturday just sold today:thumbsdown:

I may be slapped for saying this but I test drove a new crosstrek with a friend and I liked it. Nimble little thing. Of course I have had Subaru's in the past and my family drives all Subaru so I might be biased.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, in more searching I have a few more questions about the KKs

Tow hooks- I've read that they are the same as the KJ. So, I could use the ones I already have?

Skid plates- Factory still available, Aftermarket?

Other general info, such as recalls, TSBs, common problems. I'm guessing the engine-drivetrain is pretty much the same?

Bumpers, rock rails, anything else available?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tow hooks are the same, I'm pretty sure the engine skid is the same. Not sure about the trans and transfer case. Gas tank is all together different since it's midship in the KK. Your huskyliners would probably fit up front.

Checkout AttheHelm's thread in the LOST fab section. He makes some killer KK stuff. Bumpers, skids, roof racks.

Drivetrain wise they're the same. One thing that's different is the tcase, you either have 2wd-4hi-4lo or 2wd-awd-4lo. With the AWD one I've read somewhere once, that the clutch packs in the tcase wear out. Not sure if that's true or not though.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
151K, no clutch pack problems in the transfer case. Tow hooks are the same, along with the engine skid. Skids are still available.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks gentlemen.

I have yet to drive (of even sit in) a KK. I'm not really in any hurry, just starting to shop around. and look for info.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
151K, no clutch pack problems in the transfer case. Tow hooks are the same, along with the engine skid. Skids are still available.

Is that clutch pack thing a rumor? Kind of hope it is! Not in the market for a KK but good to know anyway.
OK, thanks gentlemen.

I have yet to drive (of even sit in) a KK. I'm not really in any hurry, just starting to shop around. and look for info.

Just image a KJ with a squared off dash and no spare tire in the rearview mirror and you have a KK.

Actually, they do seemed a bit more polished noise wise, if I remember right. Not significantly, could just be the ones I drove had mall crawler tires. I do kind of prefer the KJ interior styling wise, but some of the new KKs had fake wood trim and cool leather (brown) that actually looks awesome.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny enough I have been considering the swap as well. It's a matter of swapping most of my current lift parts and selling the others. But I don't feel like buying ANOTHER vehicle. The Jeep does what I need it to do.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does too, but it's getting to the point of nickeling me. I got to check one out at an area dealer on Monday. That particular specimen was in poor shape, but I got to check out the basics. I know that are basically the same "chassis", but the KKs just seem so much bigger to me. I also wasn't impressed with the different seating position of the drivers chair.

A KK is still on the list of possibilities, but not until I can find a better one to check out and drive.
I'm planning on driving a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo(WK2?) in the next few days, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about those too:gr_grin:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep finding lower mileage KJs until there is no more out there, then I'll turn Amish and just have a horse and buggy !

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The KK seems bigger because it *is* bigger. The seating position of the driver's seat is actually the same I believe. The dash is higher. At least that's how it feels to me. I actually prefer this over the feel of the KJ.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Is that clutch pack thing a rumor? Kind of hope it is! Not in the market for a KK but good to know anyway.

Just image a KJ with a squared off dash and no spare tire in the rearview mirror and you have a KK.

Actually, they do seemed a bit more polished noise wise, if I remember right. Not significantly, could just be the ones I drove had mall crawler tires. I do kind of prefer the KJ interior styling wise, but some of the new KKs had fake wood trim and cool leather (brown) that actually looks awesome.

Your post is the FIRST time I have ever heard of a transfer case clutch pack problem.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been researching KKs and have seen suggestions that they have the BLD system.
Is this true?
Do they all have it, or just some sub-models?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm guessing Command Trac ones have just plain TC and the Selec Trac ones probably act similar to Quadra Trac/Drive.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input HJ. I've been finding lots of contradictory info. Some say that all KK have BLD, some say only Wranglers and GCs of the same vintage

It's not a deal maker or breaker, but it would be nice not having to ever add a LSD.

Just curious what one finds when looking into things:emotions34:

Latest posts

Members online