Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KK (08-Present) > Lift Kit Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

Lift Kit Discussion

KK lift/tires, etc. general info.

This is a discussion on KK lift/tires, etc. general info. within the Lift Kit Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KK (08-Present) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! OK, it's getting time to start thinking of replacing my KJ. Today I ...

KK - Lift Kit Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2016, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default KK lift/tires, etc. general info.

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
OK, it's getting time to start thinking of replacing my KJ. Today I saw a lifted KK on the road that looked pretty nice, and have seen a few with reasonable mileage for decent prices, so I was just looking for a little info specific to the KKs. Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in a KK UNLESS I lifted it.

Do the same general rules apply to the KK as the KJ. Just wondering what I would be getting into with a newer Libby.

With a OME lift, does the tire limit still sit around 31" diameter to avoid rubbing?
If I stay at the 2.5" lift can I get away with stock UCAs?

What else would I need to know? Brake lines? Alignment issues? gearing? etc.

Thanks

2004 Black KJ Sport 4x4, 3.7L petrol, Auto.
Front: OME coils, Bilstein shocks. Rear: Moog coils + 2 isolators, KYB shocks JBA UCAs, .
Powder coated OEM steelies (Graphic metallic) wrapped in General Grabber AT2 235-70/16
OEM Trans and TC skids. Front tow hooks, Rear hitch D-Ring. Husky liners
Jo6pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Jo6pak View Post
OK, it's getting time to start thinking of replacing my KJ. Today I saw a lifted KK on the road that looked pretty nice, and have seen a few with reasonable mileage for decent prices, so I was just looking for a little info specific to the KKs. Frankly, I wouldn't be interested in a KK UNLESS I lifted it.

Do the same general rules apply to the KK as the KJ. Just wondering what I would be getting into with a newer Libby.

With a OME lift, does the tire limit still sit around 31" diameter to avoid rubbing?
If I stay at the 2.5" lift can I get away with stock UCAs?

What else would I need to know? Brake lines? Alignment issues? gearing? etc.

Thanks
First it seems most all KKs get worse mileage so be ready for that
As far as suspension same front coil/shocks work for both, rear shocks are the same and the rear coils are different. Sticking to 2.5 inches of lift, you shouldn't have too many issues. With the way the track bar and sway bar are on the KKs you will have issues if you go up into the 3-4 inch range ( longer track bar and also extended sway bar links for the rear
Same size as far as tires go as well on both pretty well, stick with 30s unless you are regearing
Stock UCAs work as well if staying lower
CURRENT PROJECT 03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, 81,000 miles, one owner, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Tom. figured you'd chime in with the answers.

Nice to know about the fuel economy.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I need to get either a new motorcycle or a new vehicle this year. Both are getting along in age/mileage, and I don[t want to have to make 2 payments. Just starting to make a plan.

Front: OME coils, Bilstein shocks. Rear: Moog coils + 2 isolators, KYB shocks JBA UCAs, .
Powder coated OEM steelies (Graphic metallic) wrapped in General Grabber AT2 235-70/16
Old 02-23-2016, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Tom. figured you'd chime in with the answers.

Nice to know about the fuel economy.

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet. I need to get either a new motorcycle or a new vehicle this year. Both are getting along in age/mileage, and I don[t want to have to make 2 payments. Just starting to make a plan.
Buy more KJs LOL
Thats what i am doing, buying low mileage one owner ones in great shape and upgrading them to what I want
CURRENT PROJECT 03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, 81,000 miles, one owner, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds rear bumper
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Low mileage KJs are extinct around here. Hell, "for sale" KJs are an endangered species altogether.

It usually takes me about 6 months to a year to decide what I want to buy for a vehicle, so I usually start plenty early. I may go to the dark side and check out a Subaru CrossTrek.

The motorcycle that I was going to go look at on Saturday just sold today

Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Low mileage KJs are extinct around here. Hell, "for sale" KJs are an endangered species altogether.

It usually takes me about 6 months to a year to decide what I want to buy for a vehicle, so I usually start plenty early. I may go to the dark side and check out a Subaru CrossTrek.

The motorcycle that I was going to go look at on Saturday just sold today
I may be slapped for saying this but I test drove a new crosstrek with a friend and I liked it. Nimble little thing. Of course I have had Subaru's in the past and my family drives all Subaru so I might be biased.
MBRP Performance Exhaust, Rear Detroit TrueTrac, Fastman Throttle body
Armor: Mopar Front, TCase/4XGuard Trans, Rock Sliders/Skid Row gas tank, Solid Works Differential Armor
Ironman/Bilstein 2" lift
Yes, it's a stick.
CzarKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

OK, in more searching I have a few more questions about the KKs

Tow hooks- I've read that they are the same as the KJ. So, I could use the ones I already have?

Skid plates- Factory still available, Aftermarket?

Other general info, such as recalls, TSBs, common problems. I'm guessing the engine-drivetrain is pretty much the same?

Bumpers, rock rails, anything else available?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

Tow hooks are the same, I'm pretty sure the engine skid is the same. Not sure about the trans and transfer case. Gas tank is all together different since it's midship in the KK. Your huskyliners would probably fit up front.

Checkout AttheHelm's thread in the LOST fab section. He makes some killer KK stuff. Bumpers, skids, roof racks.

Drivetrain wise they're the same. One thing that's different is the tcase, you either have 2wd-4hi-4lo or 2wd-awd-4lo. With the AWD one I've read somewhere once, that the clutch packs in the tcase wear out. Not sure if that's true or not though.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it

Last edited by HoosierJeeper; 05-02-2017 at 08:13 AM.
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kombat Edition Jeep

151K, no clutch pack problems in the transfer case. Tow hooks are the same, along with the engine skid. Skids are still available.

KJ Country's Resident Jeep Employee!
Marlon_JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
OK, thanks gentlemen.

I have yet to drive (of even sit in) a KK. I'm not really in any hurry, just starting to shop around. and look for info.