Towing with a CRD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6strngs

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently have a 83 chevy c30 turbo diesel truck with a custom flat bed that is big enough to load a car onto and tow. It's been a good truck, never left me stranded but it definitely shows it's age and always needs something worked on and leaks oil all over the place. I'm really considering getting something a little (a lot) newer and getting a car trailer to tow my race car to the track. Something that has caught me eye is the Jeep Liberty CRD, because I like diesels and LOVE turbochargers. :gr_grin: Also, the Jeep is pretty affordable for what it is and it gets good enough fuel mileage that it could double as my daily driver.

From what I've read that CRD and v6 have the same towing capacity at 5,000 lbs. I'd be looking to tow a miata (~2100 lbs) and a trailer, plus some tools and extra wheels/tires and probably a passenger or two. The track I frequent is about 60 miles one way, mostly flat but there is a section that does have some hills. Does anyone have experience towing with a CRD? Do you think it'd be up to the task? I'm no stranger to modifying cars so I'd have no problem adding some extras like a transmission cooler, etc. but I don't want to be pushing it so close to it's limits that it blows up 10k miles from now. Thoughts? Opinions?

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a CRD myself, but I was looking into them when I was shopping.

If I remember correctly, the CRD has the 545RFE 5-speed transmission and all CRDs have the factory tow package stock, so it should have a separate transmission and power steering cooler.

Your big problem will be the fact that the Liberty has a short wheel base and is pretty light.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here tows an SRT-4 Neon. He's pushing the capacity for sure but says the Jeep holds up just fine. This is with the 3.7 though.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's going to depend on how heavy the trailer is. Does the trailer have brakes? That'd make it a lot safer.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK

MAKER OF CRD SERVICEABLE THERMOSTAT ASSEMBLIES
Reaction score
I have a CRD, and so does my partner with whom I developed the our new design engine thermostat. He has no problem towing a 2500 lb travel trailer with the CRD loaded also with 5 people and gear. That was in 90 degree weather at 120 kms/hour on vacation. We were torture-testing the new thermostat, and everything went well... no temperature fluctuations, and no overheating issues.

I would NOT recommend converting the engine-driven clutch fan with an electric one. Keep it stock, unless the clutch fan is giving out, and then replace it with a Hayden unit. The stock fan moves about 5400 CFM, while good comparable electric ones move only about 3300-3400 CFM.

If you want a CRD, be prepared to perform upgrades, if they have not been done already. Look to Green Diesel Engineering, Sasquatch Motorsports, and me, (4J/1G Engineering), for the right upgrades to get your CRD running right!

6strngs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a trailer yet, but I'm definitely trying to find something with two axles and brakes, as low to the ground and lightweight as possible. I might even build my own. I'd like to keep the weight less than 1700 lbs, which after tires/tools should bring the total trailer weight to ~4,000 lbs. Like I said, I don't mind adding a few aftermarket accessories. It sounds like it will be up to it, so I guess I'll start shopping! Thanks guys

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone on here tows an SRT-4 Neon. He's pushing the capacity for sure but says the Jeep holds up just fine. This is with the 3.7 though.

that would be me... :D

You must be registered for see images

weighed in at 10,060# gross.
I would expect the diesel to do it better/more easily, especially when I've seen them do this...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

lanthony2020

Reaction score
I have a 2005 CRD with the Green Diesel Eco and Trans towing. The trans towing keeps the overdrive from coming on to soon.

I towed a 1949 Willys Jeep Pickup with an extra door and complete extra motor in the bed and some other stuff. I also had luggage and my two 110 lb. Labradors. I weigh 300 lb.

I pickup up my new (old) jeep in Rapid City, SD. I think the U-haul trailer and truck weighed nearly 6500 lbs..

Of course, I kept the overdrive off as this is absolutely a must when towing, especially in hills and mountains.

It performed flawlessly.

After I climbed the Chamberlain, SD hill, took me down to 55 before I reached the top, I took a break and accidentally left overdrive on. My second overdrive does not engage until 70 mph, so it did not go into the second overdrive.

It worked great in the first overdrive. The rest of the journey was flat interstate, however.

The EGRs on these booger up the BAP sensor and greatly effects power and efficiency.

I also run a KN and have removed the Cat and muffler (these get completely boogered up as well) and run 2.5 exhaust all the way back.

I love my CRD, now with 166,000 miles.

LN

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy who owned the rig, said it did fine in everything but heavy crosswinds. biggest thing is as always, don't drive like an a**hole while towing. :D

Flea

Reaction score
I know I'm a little late to this, but:
You must be registered for see images attach

A Miata on a car hauler will be no problem. Trailer brakes and an aux transmission cooler are advisable.

Edit to add: I have over 1k miles on this combination including mountains and stop-and-go traffic.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I've towed a 16' v-nose box trailer with my crd and it does well enough. I keep it out of overdrive unless the road is downhill or flat. Had to replace both rear calipers when the pads went; maybe they got hot... normally I'm easy on brakes. Seems to sag the rear springs so I'm thinking about putting airbags in the coils. Anybody done that?? Haven't tryed towing on hardpack snow and ice? I'm curious as to how it handles under braking with the abs voting the jeep out of the equation. Currently lost in the forever timing belt and everything else change.

mass-hole

Reaction score
I towed my buddies ~4500 lbs Mastercraft X1 wakeboard boat through the mtns of New Hampshire with my Jeep. It was stock at the time except for my GDE hot tune and it was able to tow it. At highways speed it did have some trouble pulling the hills. I typically had to put the hammer down but it was able to maintain 70-75 mph. Stability was not an issue despite being a somewhat long trailer.

I would think towing a Miata might be a little easier as its lower to the ground and probably more aerodynamic than a boat with a big wake tower.

I agree on air bags. The trailer I towed had a fairly low tongue weight but it did compress a little. I would think with a car trailer you will get a lot more and really crush the back.

FYI, All crds have the same heavy duty cooling regardless of the tow package, in other words they are all ready to tow. Not all of them have the hitch or wiring. Mine had an aftermarket hitch when I bought it and I had to install the 7 pin mopar harness myself which was very easy.

Last edited:

KiwiCanuck

Reaction score
I'm REALLY late to the party. Bought a 2006 Liberty CRD last month - I've towed our club's rowing trailer three weekends so far. (it's a small rowing club trailer, not one of the big monsters). I've found that I need to take it off "overdrive" going up the Niagara Escarpment on the 406 from St. Catharines towards Welland, in Ontario - other than that it seems to handle it all very well. Would be better if the trailer had brakes but so far so good. (I've been told my Jetta TDI could handle the trailer too, but a) no hitch on the car, and b) I'd rather have a vehicle that outweighs the trailer, instead of t'other way round.)

It's an old vehicle but has very few miles (yes, miles, US build, and I have to remember that it's in miles/miles per hour, not metric). After getting a few maintenance issues sorted out (it was towed for most of its life, in the southern US, apparently, and there's NO RUST on a 11 year-old vehicle). Have changed fuel filter, air filter, the guys who sold it to me replaced the turbo actuator, and I'm waiting delivery on a right rear window regulator (temporary repair seems to work, though)..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online