Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > CRD KJ's Section

Register to remove these ads.

CRD KJ's Section

Problems starting cold

This is a discussion on Problems starting cold within the CRD KJ's Section forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Hey all, I have an 05 CRD. It's been pretty cold here the ...

CRD KJ's Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Problems starting cold

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey all,

I have an 05 CRD. It's been pretty cold here the last few days (got to -14f last night). I've had the block heater plugged in every night, but it's been stalling after shifting into Drive.

This morn, I started it up, let it warm up for about 5 minutes backed out of my driveway and when I shifted from Reverse into Drive, the Jeep died. When I tried to start it back up, the battery was dead.

I replaced the battery this evening. It now cranks, but won't start. I plugged the block heater back in for about an hour and it started, but as soon as I shifted to drive, it died again.

I have some diesel thiner in the tank to try and keep it from gelling up, but the Jeep still seems to have problems staying running when it's cold.

Is this an issue with too cold of tranny fluid? Or is there something else going on here that I've missed? Is my transmission oil pump going out?

Thanks,
shelbydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

This might not help you.. But I was up in Reno NV a few weeks ago and as I left my brother's house it was quite cold... The jeep had no power what-so-ever - I would put the gas pedal all the way to the floor and it couldn't even move the vehicle.. Every now and then it would just die...

I shut it off and turned it on a few times, and it got no better. Then I pressed the fuel priming pump on the drivers side and heard something that sounded like air being released. After that it ran perfectly and I've had no problems with it.

- Greg
devnul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have used the primer pump on the filter. That seems to get the car started again. My next step is probably to get a new fuel filter and see if that helps.

Where do I get a lift pump for the 2.8 diesel?

thx for the help.
shelbydz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default CRD Hard to Start When Cold

It's finally started to get a bit chilly here in New England (20s at night) and I'm finding that my '05 Liberty CRD that we bought over the summer has to crank for 5-10 seconds after the glow plug light goes off before it turns over. Should it take this long? Time for new glow plugs at 90k miles?

Last edited by bradleyj; 12-11-2009 at 08:18 AM.
bradleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

why don't you plug in the block heater makes it easier to start. Already got down to -2F here in the midwest my started up with no problem straight away.
yakman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've got no place to plug in to. My two other diesel vehicles ('97 Passat and '02 Excursion) both start up no problem just with glow plugs. It's going to get a lot colder than 25F too.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: mitchell south dakota from may through oct every year

I've been at 6500 feet and minus temps for the last week, and it's having to turn over a few more times before it fires, but it starts and runs just like all diesels when cold, in cold temps the quality of fuel and a clean fuel filter are very important. If it's a factory battery, would think about changing it, crds get testy when they don't have the right amount of power during start up.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
I've got no place to plug in to. My two other diesel vehicles ('97 Passat and '02 Excursion) both start up no problem just with glow plugs. It's going to get a lot colder than 25F too.
Are you sure you don't have a block heater it took me a whlie to fine mine. It was zipped tied up and looked like it had never been used. I located mine on the left side of the block, look forward of the fuel filter and lower.

I have a 06 jetta tdi it doesn't have a problem starting even when it's cold and it doesn't have a block heater.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

I may have a block heater but I've got no place to plug it in to. The place where I park is outdoors nowhere near an outlet.

So how many seconds of cranking is normal for CRDs to turn over when the temp gets below freezing? My Passat turns over almost instantly when I crank after the glow plug light goes out.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
When it gets below 20F here I plug mine in its alot easier on engine coponents but up till then mine fires right up within 2 secs.