oil drain bolt stripped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwmdiesel

Reaction score
So finished timing belt water pump thermostat egr delete and last task for the day change the oil... Well go to take drain plug out and about half way out seems to get tight and looks like it is coming out crooked this is my first liberty crd and first to me oil change has any one dealt with stripped oil drain plug??
I stoped and tightened it back up, never got very tight but holding for now

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A very common problem on the CRD....Lostjeeps has many hits on this.

Fix is usually to fit some form of Helicoil thread and them maybe fit a plastic plug... it is made by Fumoto...so in future the drain plug can be opened by hand.

I believe the USA CRDs use an aluminium-alloy oil pan which makes stripping the thread very easy...my 2002 Export CRD definitely appears to have a metal pan with a metal drain thread!

Note: Edited to give correct name "Fumoto"

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Yup, US models have the cast aluminum pan.

Fumoto 104 brass drain valve works as a replacement. Needs a 18mm X 1.5 tap, (16.5mm drill size), to fit. I believe this is larger than the original but the same thread pitch.

Use the original drain hole, don't make a new one.

Last edited: