oil consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrenchKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i've got a 2,8 CRD model 2007. I need to check everytime the oil level. I think the engine uses oil because I have to add oil to get the level required. What about yours? do you need to add oil every each 1000 kilometers? :confused:
thanks for your answers.

Reneg8

Reaction score
Bonjour!

Our CRD isn't consuming that much oil. I check it once in a while and it seems
to use only a liter during the service interval of 20.000 km.

No sign of blue smoke or maybe a puddle of oil under the Jeep?

FrenchKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the engine seems to run well, no weird smoke and no leack.kopkrab.gif
I will try to check carefully the level and precisely, I have to drive about 2 thousand kilometers next week. I will check the level after this mileage. It wil be a good tendancy.:)

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well he may not be using the oil in the way you think. I have a 2006 with a provent oil seprator installed. if I fill mine up to the max line on the dipstick in a week or so it will be down to the middle between max and add marks. All the some how is making it past the crankcase vent and is collected by the Provent and fills my drain tube. If you dont have a Provent that hose from the CCV is routed to the turbo where the oil mist will then become part of the compressed air stream, go through the intercooler and into the intake and be burnt. I started leaving mine half way between the marks on the dipdtick and it stays.

FrenchKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wavey.gif
I've just made about 2000 km in one week without adding any oil. I checked the level after this mileage and i've had a good surprise. The level was correct. It seems that the engine didn't use oil. I don't understand but it's good news.:)

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
My understanding is that the dipstick is not correct on these 2.8's, if you go by the marks it'll be over filled, after oil change and the 6.5 quarts are put in, it is no where close to the max mark, but closer to the min mark. I change ever 5000 miles and don't notice any drop in level. I have the ehm and it does make a vapor smoke once in a while.

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 06 2.8 crd has no significant oil use to speak of.
I have done a sort - of calibration check of my dipstick for an ideal level - if your not sure how, maybe have a look at some Caterpillar sites - CAT always recommend calibration of the sump / dipstick.
My KJ stays just a tick below the maximum mark which is where I fill it to.
This is the measured 6 l.
One day I will scribe the stick to make it a bit easire but I am very aware of where it should sit and stay. It will help my wife as she loves to drive the KJ instead of her car.

When I first got her (the KJ that is), I tended to be paranoid about keeping that level up to max until I remembered my old practice of calibration with other engines. Smoke blowing (of any sigificant amount and of any colour) ceased, through a combination of this and the fact that I actually do change air filters....which the dealers were not doing.

The supplied oil separator puck on mine is always internally clean as one could hope for and the boost sensor stays pretty clean too.

How clean is your puck, your Boost sensor, your MAF?
Was it run in with the occasional WOT? to help bed it in.
Mine didn't start to settle down until after 30 000km. By the way, the odd slowly attained WOT is a bit of fun too. ::happy160: and it's never too late to deglaze the bores.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Auberon