Map sensor cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
Cleaned my map sensor today, took it out and it was full of crud it was very easy to clean with carb cleaner, put a EHM on at about 15000 miles, but didn't do the ORM, until recently. The first time I cleaned the map sensor it was a hard carbon, this time it was a powdery carbon, when cleaned the sensor was orange again, it wouldn't clean that good last time. So I put in a new sensor at that time,I think a GDE tune is in the future.
How often is every one else cleaning this sensor?.:D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my truck with 42,000 miles. It already was running a ORM and Provent. I cleaned my sensor at that time and frankly it didnt need cleaning. If youre running the ORM you really dont need to clean it. Im going to check it again at 20,000 miles.

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been blowing MAP codes for a few days, then the CEL goes off for a few weeks. Should I clean the sensor? Also, the mileage has dropped off a lot

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I am not running either of those. What do I have to do to do a setup for one of those systems?

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air sensors are at a minimum cleaned on my vehicle every air filter service interval.

Others items are being added to the routine that are not cited in the standard schedules to further bomb-proof this excellent truck.

It is my firm belief (somewhat qualified by experience with heavy duty machinery) that a scant preventative maintenance schedule lets these bomb-proof motors down.
Despite popular opinion, we are lucky to have the VM motor. It is the micky-mouse pollution control (penny-pinched cause they had to) and penny-pinched peripherals that let us down and these items MUST be maintained.

Many peripherals can be easily replaced with better quality units that match the high quality of this excellent power plant.
Cheers
Auberon

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air sensors are at a minimum cleaned on my vehicle every air filter service interval.

Others items are being added to the routine that are not cited in the standard schedules to further bomb-proof this excellent truck.

It is my firm belief (somewhat qualified by experience with heavy duty machinery) that a scant preventative maintenance schedule lets these bomb-proof motors down.
Despite popular opinion, we are lucky to have the VM motor. It is the micky-mouse pollution control (penny-pinched cause they had to) and penny-pinched peripherals that let us down and these items MUST be maintained.

Many peripherals can be easily replaced with better quality units that match the high quality of this excellent power plant.
Cheers
Auberon

AMEN!!!:D I've stated several times that taking this engine, and surrounding it with the cheap support systems that DC/Chrysler did, was akin to taking a diamond and sticking it up a goat's **** orifice. The engine itself is virtually a miniature Cummins, originally developed to survive in the marine environment.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a GDE tune is in the future.

Dude, IMHO, you'd be well advised to stay as far away from GDE as possible - go with an Inmotion Stage II or Rocket Chip tune. For the sake of civility and not starting a flame war, I won't post here why I'd advise against them - if you'd like to know why, PM me and I'll fill you in.

Beetlemn73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Orm

Cleaned my map sensor today, took it out and it was full of crud it was very easy to clean with carb cleaner, put a EHM on at about 15000 miles, but didn't do the ORM, until recently. The first time I cleaned the map sensor it was a hard carbon, this time it was a powdery carbon, when cleaned the sensor was orange again, it wouldn't clean that good last time. So I put in a new sensor at that time,I think a GDE tune is in the future.
How often is every one else cleaning this sensor?.:D

What is the ORM? I also see EGR mentioned here. My CRD ran out of fuel and ever since, the Check Engine lite is on. I bleed the air out of the fuel filter. The engine did cough a few times as it ran out. I have 55K on it. Sounds like I have something that needs to be cleaned. I have not gone to see what the code is.
Thanks for any pointers

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read the thread and I think there is some confusion here.
I hope this helps:

Beetlemn73, I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the ORM is the Off Road Modification which is a trick circuit to trick the ECU into thinking the MAF sensor has been connected from start-up as some like to disconnect it for trail work. It can be left in place all the time without MIL showing against a disconnected MAF otherwise you have to start the motor and then disconnect the MAF (affects economy).

JourneyJim, with respect, (I don't know if it is just a typo) but there have been questions asked in the thread.
I would be very wary of using heavy duty hydrocarbons like carby cleaner to clean a MAF....if that is what you refer to. It would be quite OK for the Boost Sensor.
The MAF consists of a very delicate platinum resistor that cools as a mass of air flows past it when it has been heated to a known temperature. The cooling of the electrode is used by the ECU to adjust fuel trim. The ECU coordinates fuel trim/throttle position/air volume/intake air temp etc to set fuel trim for a given engine load.

So,
MAF is just after the air intake (filter box).
Boost Sensor is a polymer cage under the wiring loom/fuel rail on the LHS of the motor held in by 2 cap screws.
The ORM is the trick circuit developed in the early days of the KJ to fool the ECU and is connected between the MAF and the ECU (breaking into the loom).
Cheers
Auberon

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I used carb cleaner on it, both times. I thought it seemed harmless to the sensor, after all it cleaned the soot off of it.
I haven't pulled it since last winter when I cleaned it. The ehm has been on for a while and the orm was on, just recently plugged it back in.

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the ORM? I also see EGR mentioned here. My CRD ran out of fuel and ever since, the Check Engine lite is on. I bleed the air out of the fuel filter. The engine did cough a few times as it ran out. I have 55K on it. Sounds like I have something that needs to be cleaned. I have not gone to see what the code is.
Thanks for any pointers

The ORM (Offroad mod) is simply unplugging your MAF. I used back electrical tape to cover both terminals is case of water.

StarDreamers.us

Reaction score
Quick question? The mileage on my 05 CRD has dropped to about 15.3. Any suggestions? Jeep dealer tells me they can find no error codes for the problem.

Thanks!

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question? The mileage on my 05 CRD has dropped to about 15.3. Any suggestions? Jeep dealer tells me they can find no error codes for the problem.

Thanks!
First check your tire pressure, then the air filter. If all is good then your sensor may be dirty. After cleaning mine didn't notice any increase in mileage, but I've never gotten good mileage.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the MAP sensor for the first time today - I've had the Jeep for 40K miles (5 years). Dear god it was filthy - soot and oil. Thankfully I got a large can of carb cleaner:) It seemed I was going to be spraying forever. It's drying off now. I must say, not too easy to get to is it? Took me a fair while to move the wiring harness out of the way, and I think one of the little spring clips that hold it to its mount has dropped off. I managed to secure both the screw and washer safely though:)

I have a provent in the shed - my wife bought it for my last birthday. I think I may have to get on and fit it!

JeepyJez

Reaction score
Can you guys clarify... are we referring to a MAP or MAF here (or are they the same thing)?

I have error code P0069 thrown-up on my '07 2.8 CRD, 51k miles (diagnosed by Autel MaxiTrip TP100), that clears after several driving cycles, but seems to recur at low speed start/stop type driving.

Do I need to clean/replace the MAP/MAF... if cleaning's the solution, what is best to use by way of a cleaning agent (have seen earlier comments ref. carb cleaner)? What other intake/air sensors would you recommend are cleaned regularly?

Thanks in advance.

Chris_W

Last edited:

Auberon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected re offroad modification.
To clarify the questions asked:
I have only referred to the MAF and the Boost Sensor. They need regular cleaning with the right cleaners. Boost is way more robust than the MAF. The MAF has a fine platinum wire in it and a resistor. Harsh solvents WILL break down the outer coating on the resistor and it will fail over a shorter period. Oil mist can coat the platinum resistor and needs removal on a regular basis.

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor. It is the one in the duct from the air filter box to the turbo.

The term MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure).....generally applies to petrol engines. There is no MAP that I am aware of in the diesel system (2006 model) although atmospheric pressure is monitored by the ECU. It is not a listed as a primary component in the system in the 06 model.

The Boost Sensor is the squirrel-cage arrangement under the wiring loom that snakes over the CRD engine. It gets really dirty and needs cleaning at rergular intervals. Some refer to the what is the Boost Sensor as a MAP, I think.

If it is filthy and you do clean it, the ECU will relearn that you have cleaned it but it is a good idea when you clean a sensor, so that your vehicle can recognise the change (and you can feel it more quickly) that you disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour. The changes will be noted by the computer much more quickly. Applies with any mod you do otherwise it can take a large number of warm-up cycles to be recognised.

JeepyJez

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Auberon... VERY helpful.

I'll get onto inspecting/cleaning the MAF and Boost Sensor right away.

Latest posts

Members online