how to replace egr valve on a 2.8 crd 05?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studebaker

Reaction score
i bought a new egr valve; but i can't find instructions to replace it......
what is the procedure or instructions for how to get to it to replace it....?

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you're probably not going to want to do it yourself unless working on cars is what yo do for a living, my first one i did took me about four hours, now i have them down i about 1-1.5 hours, they are a pain in the ****, located on the drivers side rear of the engine block under the intake manifold. remove the engine cover, fuel filter and housing, (is not pressurized) two small coolant hoses attached to the egr and you'll need 1/4 inch ratchet w/8 mm socket and 8 mm ratcheting wrench(atleast thats what i use) prepare for sore back, shoulders and arms. may possibly need ecm flash, is recommended w/egr replacement. good luck

studebaker

Reaction score
thanks for your quick reply ; is there a manual that has a drawing of all you just said?

studebaker

Reaction score
i thought it was going to be a pain; i know where it is, but can't picture the process in my mind's eye.......

sprsonic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is on chryslers website, but cant copy and paste, most likely on chilton or mitchel on demand's site. how close are you to toledo, can give a hand if not too far

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is ECM flash "recommended w/egr replacement"?

En4cr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the mechanic replace my EGR...He cussed me out from one end of his shop to the other about the pain in the ass that it was to change. He ended up taking the engine cover off, removing the fuel filter and starter to get the the EGR

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to be a mechanic to replace the EGR valve. Yo do need tools, time and patience.

Remove the batt & tray, the fuel head, CAC hose and FCV. After removing all og this, you still will not have enough room to work, but it's the best you'll get.

You're supposed to drain the coolant since there are hoses connected to the EGR and the system is under pressure. I didn't do that however.

The EGR is held in place with 4 screws that you will not be able to see only feel. Be careful not to strip them. I'm no expert but there was no way I was going to pay $700 to replace something that is held on with 4 screws.

Be wary that blown CAC hose can also trigger EGR codes which was my case.

JoBo

Reaction score
MrMopar has stated on LOST that they can be succesfully cleaned after removing the electrical part from the valve.
MrMopar also says the latest flash exercises the EGR more to keep it free.
It took the dealer tech 8 hours to replace my EGR and Flow control valves under warranty. Must have been his first one.

cpaine

Reaction score
I just took mine off because my cel is on, it only took about 45 min to get it off. If I have to do it again (cel is still on) it will take half that, it's not that bad as long as you have the right tools because it is a tight spot! I split it in half and let the valve soak in parts cleaner. The valve wasn't stuck but it was a little "sticky" feeling and it did feel much better after it soaked awhile. But my light is still on, not cool.

tim273

Reaction score
I just had the CEL come on and got the code for the egr. I took it to a mechanic and they said that it either needs to be replaced or to have the ECM reprogrammed. The reprogram apparently changes the parameters on how the EGR valve works to make it more effecient. I'm scheduled for that reprogramming on Friday.

flman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you guys even messing with them valves?
3 Options

1 Unplug the MAF at the air cleaner to stop the EGR operation. (Will set a CEL)
2 Get a SEGR, (Alot of wiring and splicing into the ECM wiring)
3 Get the GDE tune http://www.greendieselengineering.com/goPage.do?method=home (Will turn off the CEL)
(These are only good if the valve is stuck shut and vehicle is still performing well, if not you need to change the valve or clean it first)

Last edited:

changingtime

Reaction score
the latest flash takes away some faulty check engine lights for the egr valve. It actually fixes about 10 faulty lights...

u20101228

Reaction score
Wow my first one only took me about 2 hours. It is really not that hard. Two hoses and 4 8mm bolts. I had to go to Sears and get a skinny 8mm wrench to get to the last bolt. All the others I used a 1/4" ratchet with an 8mm socket.

I only removed the fuel filter too. I tried doing it from underneath by removing the starter but that was way too much trouble.

I didn't get my ECM reprogrammed, but I plan to have that done. By the way, my first ECM only lasted 40k miles. I ordered one off ebay through a dealer in Detroit who sells on ebay. I think it was ~$190.00 shipped.

Rickshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled mine out and glass bead blasted it and put it back in. The check Eng. light stayed on just for a while then went off, good to go!Didn't pull all that stuff off just my fuel filter but that was easy since I use Colder quick couplers and no leaking what so ever. Alan

jwilinski

Reaction score
You don't need to be a mechanic to replace the EGR valve. Yo do need tools, time and patience.

Remove the batt & tray, the fuel head, CAC hose and FCV. After removing all og this, you still will not have enough room to work, but it's the best you'll get.

You're supposed to drain the coolant since there are hoses connected to the EGR and the system is under pressure. I didn't do that however.

The EGR is held in place with 4 screws that you will not be able to see only feel. Be careful not to strip them. I'm no expert but there was no way I was going to pay $700 to replace something that is held on with 4 screws.

Be wary that blown CAC hose can also trigger EGR codes which was my case.
My jeep dealer quoted me $1600 to replace my EGR on my 2005 Liberty CRD diesel (160,000 miles). I can’t fathom why it costs so much. I’ve never done much car repair stuff (only batteries, tail lights, fluids, etc.) but I’m thinking about trying to do this myself. Do you think I can do it properly? John

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealers are ridiculously expensive, there are certain modifications that make the EGR a very easy fix.....

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
What did the dealer say was wrong with it? Does your Jeep get inspected for emissions where you live? Is the $1600. all labor or parts?

jwilinski

Reaction score
What did the dealer say was wrong with it? Does your Jeep get inspected for emissions where you live? Is the $1600. all labor or parts?
My dealer quoted me the same price in Minnesota. I’m going to bite the bullet and pay it. The vehicle runs fine but it just won’t start after driving occasionally. It’s frustrating to have to pay that much.