HOW TO: Liberty CRD 2.8L Fuel Filter Pics & Changing Ins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD has 17,623 miles on the clock as of today and it's time for its 3rd oil change (I've been on about a 5700 to 6000 mile drain interval or so).

The fuel filter has a recommended replacement interval of 25k miles, but I really don't want to stretch it that far.

I recently purchased the fuel filter from Cornett Chrysler in Irvine, KY.....part number 52129238AA........lists for $44.22 and my cost was $27.50 plus tax.

Here's a few pics of the filter.

You must be registered for see images

This is the bottom part of the fuel filter.

If you look in the previous picture, you'll see a white "dummy" plastic plug that threads into the bottom of the fuel filter.....this is where the water is regularly drained from the fuel filter and where the WIF (Water In Fuel) sensor is located.

This is the top part of the fuel filter.

There's two o-rings / gaskets that need a light coating of diesel and / or diesel fuel supplement applied to them prior to installation.

Note the white filter media through the six holes in the filter.

If you look a tad harder, you'll see the bottom of the filter where the WIF Sensor is attached.

Fuel Delivery Diagram 2.8L CRD.

You'll need a good set of car / truck ramps to pull the front end on.....the fuel filter change will have to be done from the bottom.

Start off by disconnecting the water in fuel sensor located at the bottom of the filter. Do not unscrew the WIF sensor yet, unless you want some nice #2 running down your arm into your armpit. Simply feel your way around the connector, and then simply squeeze and pull the connector at the same time.

You'll need either a home-made strap type wrench or a fluted oil filter wrench to loosen the fuel filter. Unscrew it counter clockwise and ease it down with care. Due to clearance issues, I'll be buying an appropriate fluted oil filter wrench in the near future.

After removing the filter, clean the fuel filter housing with a clean paper towel. Ensure that both the center (small) o-ring and large o-ring are on the old filter and not the housing to prevent a double-gasketing scenario. This is easier performed from the top, underhood.

Transfer the WIF sensor from the old filter onto the new one. If you kept the filter in its original vertical position, you can see how loosening the WIF sensor also doubles as the drain for routine draining.

Prime the new fuel filter with your choice of diesel fuel supplement (I used Power Service as it's readily available). Be patient as you fill it up....the more you get into the filter, the less pushing of the priming button you'll have to do for a re-start. Coat both o-rings (large and small) with diesel fuel supplement.

Thread onto the housing and tighten by hand. Reconnect the WIF sensor connector. You'll need a 1/2" wrench to open the air bleed screw....open it up two or three turns. Place a shop towel near the nipple end of the air bleed screw and hit the primer button until you see all diesel and no air coming out......usually not much more than 6 to 8 pumps if you primed the filter with diesel fuel supplement right the first time.

Tighten air bleed screw.....start up, and check for leaks.

Piece of cake....unless you have huge arms.....it's a little tight getting to everything from below.

Sorry for the lack of pictures regarding the fuel filter change itself.....I was also performing an oil & filter change and tire rotation, and my hands were rotten from the work......didn't want to trash the ol' digital camera.

Greg

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great How-to! You CRD guys are lucky your fuel filter is in the engine compartment, the 3.7L's fuel filter is on top of the fuel tank.

Last edited:

dnm45227

Reaction score
Only have about 900 miles on ours so far, but I'm going to remeber this thread for future use. Thanks Greg!

GilaMonster

Reaction score
When bleeding, it is cleaner to attach some tubing to a container to catch the fluid. Much like bleeding brakes.

Good write up.

rgoodspeed

Reaction score
Fuel filter change

It is much easier to change the fuel filter from the top vs's the bottom. I have 33,000 on my Crd and just changed the filter for the 3rd. time, I think it is cheap insurance to change the filter more often than what they recomend. I just remove the two caps screws that hold the unit/housing onto the firewall, remove the two hoses and the 3 electric plugs and change the filter on my work bench and then put it all back together; total time, approx. 20 mins from strat to finish. Doing it from the bottom is going to be a pain and you will get diesel fuel in the face. Good luck.

adrianglock

Reaction score
This is a mopar part! Which means you can fit it to any Chrysler made brand like jeep. How frequent you do need to replace this part in a year by the way? Is there any alternative brand that I can fit coz it cost a lot - a bit too much for my old jeep

Canadian

Reaction score
Great write up I also change it from the top with the removal of the two housing bolts. And also attach the tubbing to the bleeder with it up higher than the bleeder screw as to let the air out Do it on the road because no matter what you'll get fuel on the ground. About a 20 min job.

brando26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often should someone drain water from the WIF sensor location? or would it just drain all the diesel out of the filter all together? im a crd newb..

jsjjamessiler

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to have information on the change from the OE setup to the caterpillar set up or even a Cummins set up, there's nothing really wrong with this set upbut where I live cat and Cummins parts are easier to come by than Mopar or wix.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attempted duplicate post deletion

Last edited:

WWDiesel

Reaction score
Non OEM Fuel Filters

Does anyone happen to have information on the change from the OE setup to the caterpillar set up or even a Cummins set up, there's nothing really wrong with this set upbut where I live cat and Cummins parts are easier to come by than Mopar or wix.
I went to a Donaldson 11 micron primary filter with a clear water drain bowl. This only required changing the WIF sensor. The Donaldson filter screws right onto the OEM filter head. I then added a 3 micron secondary filter between the primary OEM filter and the CP3 fuel pump.. CAT or Fleetguard filters can be used in place of the Donaldson filters, but Donaldson is the only company making the clear water bowl attachment that I am aware of...

Filter Data:
Primary Fuel Filter – Non OEM WIF Sensor Port Thread: ½ x 20 IN
Mounting Thread Size: 16 X1.5 MM (same as OEM)
Donaldson Filter Part #P550588 11 micron rating @ 99% efficiency
Sensor Port Thread ½ x 20
Donaldson Clear drain bowl Part No. P569758
Donaldson Clear drain bowl Twist & Drain Valve with 1/2"-20 UNF Threaded Port Sensor / Donaldson Part #P550865
Racor 1/2"-20 UNF WIF Sensor / Racor Part #RK 30964
Alt. filters: Fleetguard (FS1001) / Baldwin – BF1258 or BF1212 / P551001 (no bowl) {all these filters require the the Racor 1/2"-20 UNF WIF sensor}

Secondary Fuel Filter
Mounting Thread Size: 1-14 UN
Napa 4770 / Wix 24770, Filter Base
Donaldson Part #P551313 / 3 micron rating @99% efficiency (Beta 75 or higher)
Alt. filters: Fleetguard (FF5320) / CAT (1R-0750) / Baldwin BF7633

See Picture!
& More information on why you need to add a secondary 3 micron fuel filter:
Two very good articles by George Morrison on diesel fuel contamination and the need for better filtration in today's modern diesel engine... :icon_wink:
Both are PDF's so you will need Adobe Reader to view.
http://nicktane.com/images/HDT_article_10-10-03.pdf
http://nicktane.com/images/February HDT Fuel Article Part II.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_0006 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0006 - Copy.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 28

jeepman1946

Reaction score
This is a really old post but I'll share anyway.
I change my fuel filter from the top. I remove the wire crack the filter loose while still attached to the firewall. I use wrench with a rubber strap. Need to at least loosen that before removing the housing.

Then I remove the bolts that fasten it to the firewall and pull it out where I can get hold of everything. Remove filter, lower it and take it out of there. Fill new filter at least 3/4 full and ***** it on. Fasten to firewall and finish tightening the filter. Install wire and press the pump till firm. No need to crawl underneath.

Latest posts

Members online