Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > CRD KJ's Section

Register to remove these ads.

CRD KJ's Section

Goodyear Mechanic says need a new engine!

This is a discussion on Goodyear Mechanic says need a new engine! within the CRD KJ's Section forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Hi all, I have a 2005 CRD 4x4 which I've owned since 4 ...

CRD KJ's Section

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Myke
  • 1 Post By tjkj2002
  • 1 Post By turblediesel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Goodyear Mechanic says need a new engine!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hi all,
I have a 2005 CRD 4x4 which I've owned since 4 miles old.
After hurricane, idled for 2 hours charging and running ac. Drove car next day 5 miles and poof, car died on the side of the road.
I see black oil sludge in my coolant overflow, engine doesn't seem seized like it wants to start, chug a chug. (okay I'm a girl)

Code says P0304- possible misfire 4th cylinder, they said no compression but the car never made it inside the garage.
They are simply stating that new head gasket needed, rebuild 4K or more.

The car is mint inside and out...I hate to see it go to salvage yard and I don't trust these guys. "duh, it's a diesel?"

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have a garage or tools so I can't rebuild or check head.

Help! I want it to go to someone who loves it as much as I do!!!
If I was a college kid I would die for this car!!!

thanks, any comments or ideas welcome. I'm in southeast Florida so no rust!
ontheroadtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ontheroadtv View Post
Hi all,
After hurricane, idled for 2 hours charging and running ac. Drove car next day 5 miles and poof, car died on the side of the road.
I see black oil sludge in my coolant overflow, engine doesn't seem seized like it wants to start, chug a chug. (okay I'm a girl)

Code says P0304- possible misfire 4th cylinder, they said no compression but the car never made it inside the garage.

The car is mint inside and out...I hate to see it go to salvage yard and I don't trust these guys. "duh, it's a diesel?"

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have a garage or tools so I can't rebuild or check head.

You're giving it away? If so I call dibs.
ontheroadtv likes this.
Tires: 32" (265/70/17) Cooper STT PROs on 17x7.5 (5.5" BS) OEM Wheels w/ 1.5" Spacers
Skids: OEM Engine
Lighting: 42" & 12" Auxbeam 5D LED Light Bars, DDM Tuning 5000k 55w HIDs, & Euro Turn Signals
Misc: DetourUSA Backbone, Smittybilt X20 10k lbs Winch, Ultranger 3/8" Synthetic Winch Rope Raptor Lined Interior
Myke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Administrator

Did Irma flood it???

You need a good CRD mechanic to check it out to be sure it is not some simple thing first. Get it to a good jeep dealer and have them give you a second opinion.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gold Supporter/Admin

I would look for a diesel specific shop. A place like Goodyear likely doesn't have anyone remotely skilled in CRDs.
96 XJ Country
It's better to have a winch and need it than to not have a winch and not need it
HoosierJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by ontheroadtv View Post
Hi all,

If you got oil in the coolant yes expect at minimum a $4000 repair bill,more likely it will reach over $6000+ since you should do the timing belt/WP at the same time and if the timing belt broke you will need rockers and such.
turblediesel likes this.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

They like to blow headgaskets and crack heads. Sometimes the heads crack around the valve seats which makes one of them fall out. EGR system and 0W** oil contribute to intake plugging and valves letting go. New heads are really, really spendy. Lifters probably all need replacing and spendy ARP head studs are a good idea. Ceramic glowplug tips become free and dance with the valves so they need to be replaced with metal glowplugs.

It's good the engine spins freely. Don't crank it anymore. There aren't many junkyard CRD engines around. There are many more spendy kits and modifications that should be done to keep your engine from cratering in the future. It's not a simple headgasket job, your Goodyear wrenches will probably have a bad year, and dealers are not known for having any talent with these engines; generally the spendiest, worst path to take. Find a good mechanic with some experience on this engine if you want to keep it or SELL it, don't scrap it. If you really like your Liberty shop for one with the V6 and you can spend your money on all the normal stuff they all need.

I like my CRD but it's been squatting in my shop for the last four years while I've been feebling along with my health hobby. Just a timing belt job and all the basic recommended mods. It'll go again and be better than new until I get texted or smack a moose. Looking forward to it.

LOST Jeeps has the best info on the CRD. I hang around here because it's less depressing.
ontheroadtv likes this.

Last edited by turblediesel; 09-28-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: spendy
turblediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

You might want to check with this guy
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/c...267421627.html
craws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everyone!!! Super helpful....getting a diagnostic asap
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

ID Parts, Sasquatch, and Green Diesel Engineering will have most of what CRDs need and want.
turblediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
No flood but coolant leaked out due to a hose that blew loose...crazy. I should have checked but who knew? Poof, too late....