Goodyear Mechanic says need a new engine!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ontheroadtv

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2005 CRD 4x4 which I've owned since 4 miles old.
After hurricane, idled for 2 hours charging and running ac. Drove car next day 5 miles and poof, car died on the side of the road.
I see black oil sludge in my coolant overflow, engine doesn't seem seized like it wants to start, chug a chug. (okay I'm a girl)

Code says P0304- possible misfire 4th cylinder, they said no compression but the car never made it inside the garage.
They are simply stating that new head gasket needed, rebuild 4K or more.

The car is mint inside and out...I hate to see it go to salvage yard and I don't trust these guys. "duh, it's a diesel?"

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have a garage or tools so I can't rebuild or check head.

Help! I want it to go to someone who loves it as much as I do!!!
If I was a college kid I would die for this car!!!
:emotions34:

thanks, any comments or ideas welcome. I'm in southeast Florida so no rust!

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
After hurricane, idled for 2 hours charging and running ac. Drove car next day 5 miles and poof, car died on the side of the road.
I see black oil sludge in my coolant overflow, engine doesn't seem seized like it wants to start, chug a chug. (okay I'm a girl)

Code says P0304- possible misfire 4th cylinder, they said no compression but the car never made it inside the garage.

The car is mint inside and out...I hate to see it go to salvage yard and I don't trust these guys. "duh, it's a diesel?"

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have a garage or tools so I can't rebuild or check head.

You're giving it away? If so I call dibs.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did Irma flood it???

You need a good CRD mechanic to check it out to be sure it is not some simple thing first. Get it to a good jeep dealer and have them give you a second opinion.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would look for a diesel specific shop. A place like Goodyear likely doesn't have anyone remotely skilled in CRDs.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

If you got oil in the coolant yes expect at minimum a $4000 repair bill,more likely it will reach over $6000+ since you should do the timing belt/WP at the same time and if the timing belt broke you will need rockers and such.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
They like to blow headgaskets and crack heads. Sometimes the heads crack around the valve seats which makes one of them fall out. EGR system and 0W** oil contribute to intake plugging and valves letting go. New heads are really, really spendy. Lifters probably all need replacing and spendy ARP head studs are a good idea. Ceramic glowplug tips become free and dance with the valves so they need to be replaced with metal glowplugs.

It's good the engine spins freely. Don't crank it anymore. There aren't many junkyard CRD engines around. There are many more spendy kits and modifications that should be done to keep your engine from cratering in the future. It's not a simple headgasket job, your Goodyear wrenches will probably have a bad year, and dealers are not known for having any talent with these engines; generally the spendiest, worst path to take. Find a good mechanic with some experience on this engine if you want to keep it or SELL it, don't scrap it. If you really like your Liberty shop for one with the V6 and you can spend your money on all the normal stuff they all need.

I like my CRD but it's been squatting in my shop for the last four years while I've been feebling along with my health hobby. Just a timing belt job and all the basic recommended mods. It'll go again and be better than new until I get texted or smack a moose. Looking forward to it.

LOST Jeeps has the best info on the CRD. I hang around here because it's less depressing.

Last edited:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
ID Parts, Sasquatch, and Green Diesel Engineering will have most of what CRDs need and want.

Latest posts

Members online