Found a Biodiesel CRD Ltd on Oahu - good buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlohaTRacer

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a 4WD Liberty here in Hawaii and one of the Jeeps I've located on Oahu is an '05 CRD Limited with mild lift, 31" tires, 95K miles, silver exterior/black wheels/blacked out grille (Oakland Raider fan?) auto, Selec-Trac and hitch for $7600. Would this vehicle be worth a look?

NOTE: there is a chrome tailgate emblem above the "CRD" emblem that spells out "Biodiesel"; I'm not sure if this is factory or not.

The other 4WD Libertys I've found are a mixed bag of 3.7L stick shift and auto trans KKs, one of which has the "2WD-4WD Auto-4WD Low" selector switch.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a 4WD Liberty here in Hawaii and one of the Jeeps I've located on Oahu is an '05 CRD Limited with mild lift, 31" tires, 95K miles, silver exterior/black wheels/blacked out grille (Oakland Raider fan?) auto, Selec-Trac and hitch for $7600. Would this vehicle be worth a look?

NOTE: there is a chrome tailgate emblem above the "CRD" emblem that spells out "Biodiesel"; I'm not sure if this is factory or not.

The other 4WD Libertys I've found are a mixed bag of 3.7L stick shift and auto trans KKs, one of which has the "2WD-4WD Auto-4WD Low" selector switch.

Thanks for your help!

Never made a Bio Diesel KJ
Depending on what suspension is under it could be good or bad.
at 95,000 if everything hasn't been done then a lot will need to be by 100,000miles
I suggest going to the LOST JEEPs forum and reading Sams Newbie Guide in the CRD section.
CRDs take a lot more maintenance to keep them running than a gasser

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Several CRD owners have conversions to run Used Fry Oil (UFO) but it isn't a common conversion. Might be better off if it's just a badge stuck on there unless you're an engineer looking for an expensive hobby jeep.

Look for a sasquatch EGR delete kit and do some research at LOSTkjs if you have your heart set on a CRD. These engines like to blow for a variety of top-end reasons. You won't find many mechanics who can do a good job on these even at the dealer.

Get a gas Liberty if you want it to drive or get a CRD if you want a hobby.

AlohaTRacer

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply...I tracked down the guide mentioned above and many of the "spring cleaning" items mentioned (frequent filter changes, cleaning MAF, etc.) are similar to what we '86-'87 Turbo Buick Regal/Grand National guys do to get them to run right. The intercooled turbo V6 in that car also has a CC Vent that goes to the turbo inlet, wreaking havoc with hoses, etc. The CRD EHM mod is similar to what I did when I started running my GN and TR at the drag strip (did that for 17 years.) Overall, Sam's guide is not too daunting but I can see the key is to really quiz the prior owner about things.

Thanks again for the great info!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Since you seem to be a "hobbyist" I'll add a few things to the list.

CRDs also like a fuel pump added to the tank, ARP head studs, Green Diesel Engineering reprograming for engine and transmission computers, and a Provent air-oil seperator although the Elephant Hose Modification probably won't ever freeze in Hawaii. Aaaannndd Turbo-diesel-freak's beautiful expensive thermostat housing.

CRD2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several CRD owners have conversions to run Used Fry Oil (UFO) but it isn't a common conversion. Might be better off if it's just a badge stuck on there unless you're an engineer looking for an expensive hobby jeep.

Look for a sasquatch EGR delete kit and do some research at LOSTkjs if you have your heart set on a CRD. These engines like to blow for a variety of top-end reasons. You won't find many mechanics who can do a good job on these even at the dealer.

Get a gas Liberty if you want it to drive or get a CRD if you want a hobby.

I might add if you like turbo whistle, torque decent fuel milage and the smell of good ol No2 in the morning!

Latest posts

Members online