CRD timing tools to rent? Anyone? (Midwest)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhmegaMike

Reaction score
CRD timing tools to rent? Nevermind, Got it done!

Hello, I'm looking for someone to rent the VM1085 cam gear tool from. Seems that GDE is 5-6 week wait for their rentals. I would also consider buying the tool if anyone has one to sell...

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited:

Mopars-Only

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1298
https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=1299

These two are a lot cheaper, and you can avoid buying these if you work at it. I got two sets of metric drill bits, and figured out what size bit fits snugly into the cam through the plug hole once you have removed the plug. I then figured out what size rubber hose fits that bit snugly, and cut short pieces of that hose and used it to secure the bit into the threads where the proper tool would screw into those threads. Basically, the rubber hose secures the bit into the threads, and the bit is a perfect fit into the camshafts. I of course used the slick upper end of the bit, not the sharp end that cuts metal.
Try to keep in mind, the factory service manual tells you to use the screw in pin locks sold at the links above to replace the timing belt. The fancy gear locker is for changing out the cam sprockets themselves, or a seal behind them; any time the sprockets must be removed and reinstalled. One must also place a lock into the flywheel flexplate down in the bell housing area. They have a fancy lock for that too, but even the Jeep Factory Service Manual shows you how to use an allen wrench for that particular task. If you are just changing your belt, this setup I used will work fine for you. The idea that you must remove the cam sprockets to change the belt is simply misinformed. Read the FSM, it will show you what you have to do to secure the camshafts properly to R&R the belt.
Good luck with it;
Mopars-Only

OhmegaMike

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have the cam locking pins. I did remove the cam gears. Used a homemade gear holder to break them free. That was the easy part, torquing them back down to 80ft lbs without them moving, and without the locator pins installed, is a whole lot a fun! Lots of swearing, but it's done, and the timing is right on. Next time, I will use the tool, if I have to remove the gears again. I've got a 100,000 miles to find a used tool now!

marcgvky

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's that time for me (actually, I am on barrowed time by 10K miles YIKES).

Does anyone have a time belt replacement pin set for the let and right cam and the fly wheel? These are parts VM.1052, VM.1053, and VM.1083 from Miller Speciality (and that's without a pin wrech or a wrench to break the cam timing pulley bolts loose).

I noticed that OhmegaMike has a ****** cooler on his jeep, can you share the make/model please? I do a lot to trailering and sometimes overheat in the peak of summer. Maybe that will help?

Looks like I also need a "pin wrench" in order to properly tension the idler pulley(s)??? Never had to do that on a domestic/gasser.

Thanks,

Marc

Mopars-Only

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a set from Ebay UK recently, though I have not used them yet. I plan to use them in the not too distant future on another CRD in the family. I paid about $125 delivered I think it was, somewhere in that range. I purchased mine from a vendor called The Tool Acadamy Ltd. I found a URL with the same set I purchased, though it was from a different ebay vender. I will paste it below.

VSE5056 Sealey Diesel Engine Setting Locking Kit Chrysler LDV 2 5 2 8CRD Be | eBay

OhmegaMike

Reaction score
Marc,

The ****** cooler I have on my liberty is just an aftermarket tube and fin type about 9"x5" mounted in front of the radiator on the driver's side. It has hose barb fittings. These are available from flex-a-lite, or b&m, etc. Mine was installed because the factory cooler (which is part of the A/C condenser) started leaking. My A/C works just fine, so instead of replacing a 300.00 part, I put in a <50.00 ****** cooler! It was a quick fix type thing...

If you're doing some heavy towing, you might want to go a little bigger even? And get a transmission temp gauge.

Also, the lines from the transmission to the cooler often develop leaks where they go from rigid tubing to rubber hose. I will eventually replace mine with braided stainless, from the ******, to a better cooler (like B&M) with threaded fittings. Then, it'll be a lifetime repair/upgrade.

Regarding the timing belt job. There are some reasonable kits on ebay, and other sources that have everything BUT the tool that holds the cam gears. I did mine without the gear holding tool, but I've done a lot of DOHC timing belts, and managed to pull it off. I wouldn't recommend doing it without the proper tools.

Mike

marcgvky

Reaction score
DOHC jobs

I have probably done 6-8 of these myself and don't understand the criticality of using cam and flywheel holders..... is this something that is inherent to the diesel motor (i.e. perhaps tighter interference/clearance because of the higher compression ratios, I just don't know).

In my limited knowledge of diesel tech, the increased compression is not a functional of the final height of the piston, but the length of the stroke (that's what she said).

Maybe there is something I am missing LOL

Anywho, I will keep trolling for someone to barrow the tools from. Maybe I will call my local VW indy shop.

Thanks,

Marc

CreepinTJ

Reaction score
Marc,

The ****** cooler I have on my liberty is just an aftermarket tube and fin type about 9"x5" mounted in front of the radiator on the driver's side. It has hose barb fittings. These are available from flex-a-lite, or b&m, etc. Mine was installed because the factory cooler (which is part of the A/C condenser) started leaking. My A/C works just fine, so instead of replacing a 300.00 part, I put in a <50.00 ****** cooler! It was a quick fix type thing...

If you're doing some heavy towing, you might want to go a little bigger even? And get a transmission temp gauge.

Also, the lines from the transmission to the cooler often develop leaks where they go from rigid tubing to rubber hose. I will eventually replace mine with braided stainless, from the ******, to a better cooler (like B&M) with threaded fittings. Then, it'll be a lifetime repair/upgrade.

Regarding the timing belt job. There are some reasonable kits on ebay, and other sources that have everything BUT the tool that holds the cam gears. I did mine without the gear holding tool, but I've done a lot of DOHC timing belts, and managed to pull it off. I wouldn't recommend doing it without the proper tools.

Mike

Correct me if Im wrong here but isnt there a ****** temp gauge on it? I have a ****** light on the dash for it, but question is, is it installed? And I have done the same ****** cooler bit myself, it has been on there for 2 years and still going but I have recently possibly nuked my ****** (i think) I have to drive in 2 or 1 everything else works fine other wise...what yall think?

marcgvky

Reaction score
Well guys, I just called a local dealership that I know and trust. They gave me and estimate of $1,500 for the timing belt change ($300 for the belt, $300 for a water pump, $900 labor!)

I am going to buy the tools and do it myself. No brainier.

Marc

marcgvky

Reaction score
Bought the tools Sealey VSE5056 for timing belt replacement, will rent or loan

Guys:

I bought the tools so I can get it done right. Once I am done with them, willing to loan them out for the cost of shipping and a full deposit. Anyone who wants/needs them lemme know. Just trying to help some folks out.

Best,

Marc

stephen-jones

Reaction score
Guys:

I bought the tools so I can get it done right. Once I am done with them, willing to loan them out for the cost of shipping and a full deposit. Anyone who wants/needs them lemme know. Just trying to help some folks out.

Best,

Marc

Marc, are you still willing to loan out your tools? My liberty is at 99,000 miles and I have the parts kit. I just need the tools. Thanks.

Stephen

Z30

Reaction score
alternative timing gears locking tool

Hi everyone I found this universal camshaft gears locking tool for 79$ all metal construction.
I'm wondering if anyone ever tried it on the crd and what you think of it. It sure beats paying $680 for the miller vm1085!!
I just hope it will work... Baum Tools , B4502 Cam Lock Universal Twin Cam Combo Kit

bugnout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I found this universal camshaft gears locking tool for 79$ all metal construction.
I'm wondering if anyone ever tried it on the crd and what you think of it. It sure beats paying $680 for the miller vm1085!!
I just hope it will work... Baum Tools , B4502 Cam Lock Universal Twin Cam Combo Kit

That looks like a good alternative. Love to hear if someone has given this a try. I made a TDI tool, worked ok, but would much rather lock the cam gears up when trying to torque the bolt.

Latest posts

Members online