Block Heater - Can't locate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willabbott

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, in many forums... after over 2 years of looking and reading posts, I still can't find the thing...

I bought mine used, but window sticker was in Glove Box, says it was Factory Installed... Can't find the cord (not on Dipstick, nor anywhere else) can't find where the block heater might be on the block (I've heard drivers side near motor mount, but can't locate any way of seeing the freeze plug area...)

I need the idiots guide (hopefully with photos) of where to look though to try and find it, what to look past, etc... and the easiest/simplest way to find it, and install a cord (assuming the cord isn't there, which I'm guessing it isn't)

Mine takes so long to warm up on these colder days (even above freezing) I'm desperate to find a way to pre-heat the engine... if I can't find it, I might just buy into some other way to heat the engine (heated blanket, inline coolant heater, or something else gimmicky)

Thanks!

willabbott

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah I've tried looking passenger side as well... it seems even more hurried to get to the freeze plugs on that side...

I forgot to mention, it's an '05 CRD, but I think all the CRD's are the same?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Same as mine. I think all 2.8 CRDs came with a block heater. Driver's side with the power cord zip-tied to the engine oil dipstick. I'll look at mine and see if I can describe the exact location. I think the cord unplugs from the heater.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Block heater is on the driver's side and it's an inch or two above the top rear bolt of the engine mount bracket roughly in line with the dipstick as it disappears into all the stuff that's currently off my engine. It sticks out 1.5"-2" from the block. The cord does unplug and connects to three pins in the recessed end of the block heater.

Your lack of heat may be due to a bad thermostat, $170.00. TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK sells a magnificent thermostat housing that allows replacement of the inner workings, $500.00.

Hope this helps.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got any pics Chuck?
Interesting, I just learned something new, Diesel CRD block heater is on drivers side!
Where as on a gas 3.7 they are located on the passenger side.
I've given good information on technical spec/power consumption about these block heaters, and page 3 listing shows the Kill-A-Watt accurate readings.
Just thought I would add this link as it is related with good information, as this post is in the how2 section.
Link: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/block-heater-operation-55141/
For diesel block heater installation, always refer to the CRD factory service manual.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sorry, no pics. Smallest pics my phone will take are too big for the site. Too much to do to play with phones or computers. Can't seem to find my inner geek; Less nerdy anyway.

Latest posts

Members online