Air conditioning pulley bearing replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShaunPearson

Reaction score
Hey there, on my 2005 KJ I think I may have thrashed her on the beach a bit hard and now when my air con is in the belt makes a terrible squeal. My father and I have pin pointed the problem to the baring on a pulley that is connected to the air conditioning. Has anyone had experience getting into this pulley and replacing it? Any ideas how?

Cheers,
Shaun

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it is not one of the idle or tensioner pulleys on the Serpentine belt?
Problem may only show up when the belt is under strain.

There have been cases of the pulley on the compressor suffering a sized bearing.

On a CRD then the alternator pulley may be bad...must rotate freely in one direction only. This also can cause noise when under the load of the compressor kicking in.

Last edited:

ShaunPearson

Reaction score
The noise is always there, even at idle, it gets a lot worse when the aircon is turned on. I believe it’s the pulley just below the one attached to the alternator, I think it could be full of sand. Problem only started occurring after a quick beach run (a messy one)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go to www.ausjeepoffroad.com for advise...they have a sticky that directs you to the Service Manuals for the different year KJs...download the 2005 KJ manual there.

Definitely check the alternator pulley while you are working in that area...Ausjeeps has some good posts on how to check it and replace it....preferably with the Litens sealed pulley!