Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > CRD KJ's Section

Register to remove these ads.



CRD KJ's Section

Acts like it's out of fuel


This is a discussion on Acts like it's out of fuel within the CRD KJ's Section forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I have an '05 Jeep liberty, that recently began taking a few seconds ...

CRD KJ's Section


Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tjkj2002
  • 1 Post By shuwatch
  • 1 Post By turblediesel

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 12520
Posts: 5
Default Acts like it's out of fuel


Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have an '05 Jeep liberty, that recently began taking a few seconds to start, and now has taken to not starting at all. it turns over fine and sounds like it's out of fuel even with the full tank.

My regular service mechanic says he couldn't read any codes and caved and sent it to the dealer… They/ Jeep just said they have no codes either. It seems the high-pressure fuel pump is receiving fuel but isn't putting it out.

not sure if this is a sensor or something else… Any ideas are appreciated.
shuwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
tjkj2002's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere between being sane and insane!
Posts: 10,430
Default

Gas or diesel?
LibertyTC likes this.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 12520
Posts: 5
Default

Diesel, sorry, for some reason I thought this was all on same.
LibertyTC likes this.
shuwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
tjkj2002's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Somewhere between being sane and insane!
Posts: 10,430
Default

Originally Posted by shuwatch View Post
Diesel, sorry, for some reason I thought this was all on same.
Not even close,2 completely different diagnostic procedures for your issue for gas or diesel.


If your high pressure pump but getting proper amount of fuel and no air then the pump is bad,and sorry not cheap.

I'd be checking for any leaks prior the pump,it's a common issue for the filter head to leak on the CRD's causing issues.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 12520
Posts: 5
Default

My response wasn't clear.... I thought the forum was all diesel.

I'll pass your heads up on areas air can infiltrate to the mechanic, and yes, hoping it's not the high-pressure fuel pump.
shuwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
turblediesel's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,533
Default

The high pressure pump, on the engine, usually isn't the problem.

"Air in fuel" is common in the Liberty diesel, many reasons why.

Original equipment fuel filter head, plastic, develops leaks letting air into the fuel system. Replace with an identical looking fuel filter head, metal. If the electrical connecter on the drivers side of the fuel filter head is blue you have the metal head. Scratch it with a blade if you're not sure.

There isn't a lift pump in the fuel tank from the factory so the on-engine fuel pump so it has to suck the fuel all the way from the tank past fuel line connectors that are designed to seal under pressure, they suck air. Solution is to add an in-tank lift pump or in-line electric fuel pump.

Sometimes the metal crimping attaching metal ends to rubber fuel lines can let air in.

Try using the hand pump and bleed screw on your fuel head to bleed air out of the system and see if it runs.

Also check the fuse for the glow-plugs to see if they're in the game. Seems like that would throw a code though.

Dealers don't seem to have any expertise with our little diesel so you might want to explore other possibilities.

LOSTJeeps is the best resource for info on the diesel Liberty.

Lots of great non-diesel Liberty info here.
LibertyTC likes this.

Last edited by turblediesel; 08-11-2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Jeeps
turblediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: White River, South Africa
Age: 66
Posts: 936
Default

Exactly what turbodiesel said^^^^^

Go to Lostjeeps and post in the section "Liberty CRD Love That Torque"

My two cents worth is the crank sensor or air in the fuel or blocked fuel filter.

I had these exact symptoms on my 2002 Export CRD caused by a blocked fuel filter...no codes posted usually for fuel problems on these CRDs.

High pressure CP3 pump seldom fails...definitely the last resort!
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 12520
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by turblediesel View Post
The high pressure pump, on the engine, usually isn't the problem.

"Air in fuel" is common in the Liberty diesel, many reasons why.

Original equipment fuel filter head, plastic, develops leaks letting air into the fuel system. Replace with an identical looking fuel filter head, metal. If the electrical connecter on the drivers side of the fuel filter head is blue you have the metal head. Scratch it with a blade if you're not sure.

There isn't a lift pump in the fuel tank from the factory so the on-engine fuel pump so it has to suck the fuel all the way from the tank past fuel line connectors that are designed to seal under pressure, they suck air. Solution is to add an in-tank lift pump or in-line electric fuel pump.

Sometimes the metal crimping attaching metal ends to rubber fuel lines can let air in.

Try using the hand pump and bleed screw on your fuel head to bleed air out of the system and see if it runs.

Also check the fuse for the glow-plugs to see if they're in the game. Seems like that would throw a code though.

Dealers don't seem to have any expertise with our little diesel so you might want to explore other possibilities.

LOSTJeeps is the best resource for info on the diesel Liberty.

Lots of great non-diesel Liberty info here.
Thank you for some great clues to follow... you say "Solution is to add an in-tank lift pump or in-line electric fuel pump." Is that refering to what the manufacturer does in design of the vehicle, or is this a recommend retrofit fix?

The vehicle had trouble starting once before and the shop found the high-pressure pump had lost prime... the idea that air was being introduced into the line seemed important to me , but they felt satisfied having primed and gotten it to work. they suggested the air may have been introduced during low fuel.

looking forward to following up on these points, again thank you

Last edited by shuwatch; 08-11-2017 at 09:51 AM.
shuwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 12520
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Exactly what turbodiesel said^^^^^

Go to Lostjeeps and post in the section "Liberty CRD Love That Torque"

My two cents worth is the crank sensor or air in the fuel or blocked fuel filter.

I had these exact symptoms on my 2002 Export CRD caused by a blocked fuel filter...no codes posted usually for fuel problems on these CRDs.

High pressure CP3 pump seldom fails...definitely the last resort!
I actually thought I was in that forum LOLů I will absolutely do that, thank you!

...its hard to shovel through all the pop-ups /viewing on a tiny phone

Last edited by shuwatch; 08-11-2017 at 10:18 AM.
shuwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
turblediesel's Avatar
Member

 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,533
Default


Register to remove these ads. It's free!
In-tank pump is best and spendy. Both are owner retrofits.

Air-in-fuel symptoms when it's running are a loss of power and the engine tries to jump off it's mounts. Happened to mine a few times late at night in the middle of nowhere at -30░. Found out why at LOST years later when I got a little internet.
turblediesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




GM Truck Forum
Ford Raptor Forum
Chevy Tahoe Forum
Chevy Cobalt Forum
Chevy Camaro Forum
Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Ford Truck Forum
88-98 GM Truck Forum
73-87 Gm Truck Forum
Ford Expedition Forum
Chevy Equinox Forum
Chevy Cruze Forum
Dodge Ram Forum
Jeep Forum
Dodge Ram SRT10 Forum
Chrysler 200 Forum
Scion xD Forum
Scion xB Forum
Dodge Challenger Forum
SRT Forum
Nissan Titan Forum
Buick Enclave Forum
Cadillac Forum
Cadillac XTS Forum