About to buy a CRD, What to look out for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Army Ranger

Reaction score
I am in the market looking for a KJ CRD. I have found a couple that look good and are in my price range. I have read on this forum quite a bit before I considered buying a CRD KJ. I have read the noob guide, and all the threads I could find on EGR/ORM mods, CCV/EHM mods, and timing belt replacement.

My question for this great forum is: What little stuff wears out and drives you nuts? What wears out and would go unnoticed? (<- bargaining point) Is there any random issues with sunroofs, or the fancy Navigation unit, etc? What key info do I need to have before going to look at a CRD KJ?

This is the one I am considering:
Do any of you see anything obviously wrong with this CRD KJ? Is the price acceptable? It has 159k miles on it, timing belt changed at 100k (so he says over the phone)
LINK to Ad

rwallmow

Reaction score
New to the CRD myself, but did a lot of reading before and since our purchase.

BIG Ticket items:
*Torque converter (mostly issue with 05, should be resolved in 06)
*Timing belt (should be changed at 100k, I paid $1400 for TB and waterpump at "Diesel and Import service" in Blaine, MN; they have the required tools and have done a few CRDs, I only mention them since I see you are in MN too and DON'T say if the waterpump was done).

Small ticket items:
*Window regulators and switches are weak in KJs
*Leather seats wear prematurely
*CD Eject/Inject issues on stock head units (our RBQ radio is picky)
*Intercooler leaking oil (can usually JBweld it if it is).

I am sure there's a lot more, and I am sure some veteran will chime in here, but these are some of the things I knew of going into our CRD purchase.

Last edited:

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove a CRD trouble free (mostly) for 5 years and over 100k miles and it lives in MS now. I mostly ignored the noob guide and had none if the catastrophic failures as the authors of the noob guide had. When it was time to do the timing belt I did it with the help of the Chevrolet techs at the dealership I worked at with no special tools.
My only complaint with the vehicle is it constantly overheated in the summer which I fixed with buying a 4Runner.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look out for price gouging.

First thing I noticed was the $5-8k higher pricetag for a 6-7 yo KJ just because it has the CRD. :ehcapt:

Then I found I out a stick shift is impossible to find - if it was even made?

Later I found out $200 oil changes are the norm (shop rates) due to special filter and 0w50w Mobil full-synthetic.

Not trying to be a killjoy - I love diesels - but that's why the wife got a gas one. :Rock on:

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing special about the filter nor 0W oil.... costs no more than any other synthetic oil change.

Don't be silly.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing special about the filter nor 0W oil.... costs no more than any other synthetic oil change.

Don't be silly.

I can't afford synthetic oil changes. I buy dino oil by the pail. The V6 oil changes cost me about $20. I'm okay with being silly. :bleh:

Here's a snippet I found over at bobistheoilguy.com from somebody's CRD manual:
"the manufcaturer recommends using synthetic engine oils that are API certified (SL/CF), and meet the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725.

Engine Oil Viscosity (2.8L Diesel Engines)
Use SAE 0W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil that meets API categories CF or better and the requirements of DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-10725. If you cannot find SAE 0W-40, then SAE 5W-40 Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil is acceptable. Any engine oil that does not meet the manufacturer's requirements should not be used."

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=728826

rwallmow

Reaction score
My only complaint with the vehicle is it constantly overheated in the summer which I fixed with buying a 4Runner.

If you have a 2005, there was a TSB on this, the temp guage is wrong, it is reading MUCH higher than the actual coolant temp.

Unless you had the computer reflash done under the TSB and its STILL overheating, but that is almost unheard of in the CRDs unless you are towing in like 110* heat, OR your fan clutch has failed and isn't engaging properly.

If you have a bad fan clutch, I would just pull the mechanical fan entirely and go with the brand new temp-adjustable aftermarket electric fan setup that just started selling on ebay, they are even claiming like 3-5mpg improvement since that mechanical fan is such a power drain on the engine.

renegade2.8

Reaction score
Hi, I'm in UK so have Cherokee Renegade KJ,same as a Liberty. It's an '05 CRD.
Small problem we've had here is the folding electric mirrors failing.Had three under warranty, one has gone again and moves inwards with wind at speed. Only small problem but worth checking as not cheap.

Latest posts

Members online