2006 auto crd not starting recently from dealer for repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepsta

Reaction score
Hi Jeepers, I am from South Africa in Harding KZN. Last month I parked my KJ for 5 days and the battery was flat, asked a friend to jump boost me. Eventually cranked for more than 8 seconds and started. I then drove to Supaquik for a new battery, on my way the dash cluster warning lights came ON specifically the lighting bolt flashing, battery light, ABS and engine light all at the same time. Managed to reach Supaquik in time they tested my battery and got 7.5volts. Supaquik advised me to buy a bigger battery and they fitted it in, the KJ did not crank nor start at all they tried bleeding the fuel system with no luck. Later called breakdown and had it towed to the Jeep dealer for diagnostics, tech report findings was that the ECU burnt, EGR throttle body faulty, Alternator not charging and Crankshaft sensor faulty.

I opted for the expensive repairs they quoted me, a new ECU box, Crankshaft Sensor and Alternator Clutch/pulley. After the repairs the Jeep started and they called me to collect. Everything seemed fine during pick up drove it for 2 days. Today I am back to square one, the jeep cranks but does not start only clicking sounds that I'm hearing. It's a public holiday in our country today the dealer is closed.

Please guys any advice is welcome. Thank you!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check the wire bundle behind the fuel filter for abrasiondamage. '06 CRDs have a reputation for the wire bundle being stretched a little tight through there. Usually gets pinched during filter/filter head changes. Maybe???

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to only have only seen your post today. What part of SA are you in...I was in White River/Hoedspruit but now in Johannesburg for a while before hopefully returning to White River next month.

The problem with the wiring harness behind the fuel filter head mounting bracket as far as I know only happens on the LHD KJs...not the RHD that you have but I may be wrong!

You say the Engine turns over but does not start....what sort of "clicking" noise do you get.

Any engine warning light on?

Have you bled the fuel filter head to remove air in the system.

Any warning light on the cluster when turning on ignition other than the oil pressure light which only goes out after starting?

Try swap over the Auto Shutdown Relay (ASD) with an identical one such next to it inside the fuse/relay box under the "bonnet".

With the battery disconnected I would re-plug the connectors on the ECU and check for any other loose plugs before re-connecting the battery.

Did the Dealers say why your ECU got fried? Should not happen unless some harness wires were getting shorted to engine/chassis somewhere....either way the dealers need to sort out the problem and give you the stored error codes from the ECU.

Jeepsta

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have checked the electrical looms, pins and connections all seemed fine to me. I also bleed the fuel system ending up cracking the fuel filter housing, when I pump it sprays fuel at the top. Now I have to new leaks on this filter housing the crack and the two pin switch. I tried to start the vehicle today it cranked for 10 seconds with huge smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, is this good or bad?

The engine light stays ON when ignition is turned on, I don't own any scan tool to check for error codes. So wish this misfortune will pass soon, is there anything else I can try /checkout ?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Replace the fuel filter head.

The black smoke might be a stuck injector or excess fuel from cranking a lot.

A cheap code reader can help a lot.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have checked the electrical looms, pins and connections all seemed fine to me. I also bleed the fuel system ending up cracking the fuel filter housing, when I pump it sprays fuel at the top. Now I have to new leaks on this filter housing the crack and the two pin switch. I tried to start the vehicle today it cranked for 10 seconds with huge smoke coming from the exhaust pipe, is this good or bad?

The engine light stays ON when ignition is turned on, I don't own any scan tool to check for error codes. So wish this misfortune will pass soon, is there anything else I can try /checkout ?

Yep definitely need to fix the leak on your filter head.

By "engine Light" I presume you mean the decal that is shaped like an engine profile and not the RED LED for the SKREEM anti-theft system?

Have you checked all the fuses under the hood and on the fuse panel inside the cabin on RHS?

Last edited: