When should I start to worry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘08 KK Sport
116,000 Miles
Blue [emoji4]

I was doing my normal services on the Jeep when I change the oil (which is every 3000-4000 Miles) and checked all the fluids. As expected, I lose about 1qt of oil every 3K Miles. I monitor it frequently to ensure I don’t get too low and it hasn’t given me any issues.

The new issues is that my coolant tank was almost empty! There’s no visible sludge in the oil, so it’s not pouring into there (yet?) and I haven’t had any issues with overheating (and it has never overheated before).

Is this something I just keep an eye on in case it gets worse?

In the long run, how do I even figure out which bank has the bad gasket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
KKs have an open cooling system correct? Meaning you have the radiator cap and then the overflow jug isn't pressurized?

If this is the first time it's happened, I wouldn't be alarmed. Some coolant lost over a longer period of time (like a year) is normal for that type of system. If it's loosing that much in a month then I'd say you have an issue. Check the hoses, radiator etc.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KKs have an open cooling system correct? Meaning you have the radiator cap and then the overflow jug isn't pressurized?
True

If this is the first time it's happened, I wouldn't be alarmed. Some coolant lost over a longer period of time (like a year) is normal for that type of system. If it's loosing that much in a month then I'd say you have an issue. Check the hoses, radiator etc.

I’ve been checking the coolant when I check the oil every few weeks in case the oil starts burning off faster. This was probably only over two months—max.

—sigh—

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online