Wheel Vibration Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, since leaving Oahu, I finally get to drive on ACTUAL freeways and now have identified a problem...my steering wheel shakes when I go over 60 MPH. It's much worse when it's cold and settles down to a small shake when the vehicle has warmed up a bit. This is also true if it's been sitting in the sun all day, but no matter what, the vibration doesn't go away totally.

It's constantly there, so it's not the rotors (I actually fixed those a few months back anyway)

I also fixed the front driveshaft previously because that was causing terrible vibration, noise, and had sprayed grease everywhere.

I have many possible culprits, but how do I tell which one it is?

Partially seized CV joints? But no visible tears in the boot or grease marks.

Intermediate shaft? No idea how to check that.

Bearings? But no humming.

Unbalanced? I still have all the wheel weights.

Steering rack? No tears or play in the bushings that I can see.

Any good ideas would be very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No on CVs or bearings.

Intermediate shaft....mine gave me a vibration just like an out of balance tire. Check it where the CV connects to it and see if there's a lot of play. A little bit is ok but if it clunks then it's bad. The cold vs warm thing wouldn't impact that, it seems like you have a rubber issue.

Tires, maybe it could be a balance issue. As tires wear they (should) be rebalanced. I also think it could just be something funky with the tires. Try switching the front and back ones around. At least then you'll know if it goes away. I'd start there.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for closure, I have the solution to this. I got a nail in my front right tire and had to put on the full-size spare. When I drove it that day, there was no vibration at all!! I got the tire patched and rebalanced as it was apparently waaaaayyyy off.
Problem solved.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for closure, I have the solution to this. I got a nail in my front right tire and had to put on the full-size spare. When I drove it that day, there was no vibration at all!! I got the tire patched and rebalanced as it was apparently waaaaayyyy off.
Problem solved.

Glad to hear it was simple.