The tow-rating jumps from 2,000 lbs to 5,000 lbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to towing; the most I've pulled is a pick-up truck bed sized trailer full of firewood with my TJ. We just bought a travel trailer, I did some research into what my Jeep TJ and my wife's Jeep Liberty KK could tow. I later found out that while my Jeep TJ can pull it, stopping a 3,184 lbs. trailer is another thing entirely. The TJ has a two-rating of 2,000 lbs., the KK has a tow-rating of... 2,500 lbs. or 5,000 lbs. …depending on the presence of a "Trailer Tow Package." All I could find about the Trailer Tow Package was old posts on another Jeep forum (that I don't belong to)…

Towing capacity 5,000 pounds when properly equipped, Includes:
- 7-Pin Wiring Harness [I can add this.]
- 7-to-4-Pin Wiring Adaptor [I can add this.]
- Class III receiver hitch* [I can add this.]
- Full-Size Spare Tire [I can add this, if one will fit. I assume there's room.]
- Heavy Duty Engine Cooling [Mechanical fan; I can add this.]
- Power Steering Cooler [ALL KKs have this.]
- Trailer Sway Control [N/A; part of OEM programming.]
- Trailer Tow Group [What does this mean?]

So, basically I add a hitch, the wiring, and a mechanical fan, and I can double the tow weight? How? I know there are KK owners here that tow, I read your posts, I just want some affirmation that her KK can safely tow this 3,184 lbs. camper. My thought was, that with the brake assist, I would be okay with even the TJ. Well, I was wrong. When I suggested we sell the camper… you can only imagine the heat I'm getting from the wife. And the kids. You'd think I took away Christmas. :Nonono:
So, I need some advice before I make another bad decision ...

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That list above sounds very good^^ KK should handle it ok then.
What is the trailer length? Are we talking new trailer/new trailer brakes?
If you are starting at 3,184 lbs, by the time you pack up, (it's amazing how much stuff we need to go camping, and beer) It's going to get heavier!
Then it's really about ensuring Jeep's brakes are inspected & up to speed, w/ good trailer brakes & controller.
I've pulled 4000 with my KJ and decided new rotors and Mopar semi-metallic pads were in order, much better stopping power.
Are you pulling long distance or shorter trips?

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upgrade your brakes (at least the pads) to something better, but also make sure the trailer has brakes as well.

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
That list above sounds very good^^ KK should handle it ok then.
(biggthumpup)

What is the trailer length? Are we talking new trailer/new trailer brakes?
It's a 2011 model, very well maintained, but I don't know how new the brakes are. This model is supposed to be 17' long, but actual measurement from ball hitch to bumper is 19'.

Are you pulling long distance or shorter trips?
Both! Short to start out with, get a feel for it.

upgrade your brakes (at least the pads) to something better, but also make sure the trailer has brakes as well.
(biggthumpup)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When towing it's best to have a vehicle far more capable then what the trailer requires. You don't want to be pushing your limits all of the time. Look into an equalizer hitch. I towed a 4500 pound trailer with my Tacoma also rated at 5000 pounds. It was uncomfortable at times (up and down hills) would have been down right frightening without the equalizer. I now use a Yukon XL 2500 rated to pull 12,000 pounds with a similar trailer and equalizer, night and day difference. And yes trailer brakes will save lives.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The Liberty CRD is rated to tow 5000# but the front of whatever you're towing can't be more than 64 square feet and no overdrive allowed.

Trailer package included hitch, 7 pin trailer plug with adapter to 4 pin trailer plug, relays behind the netted cubby in the back, and a blue and white wire behind the panel left of the driver's left foot for brake controller input. Maybe some other stuff. A common crd mod is a heavier duty fan clutch and the fan from the v6 Liberty.

Airbags in the back are a good idea. I don't tow enough to have them.

Hope any of that helps

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
Not new info, was in the owners manuals at least for a few years it was
And yes partially due to drag

I meant "new to me..." I re-read the towing section of my owners manual; it only states...
"Frontal Area
The frontal area is the maximum height multiplied by the
maximum width of the front of a trailer."
...but it doesn't give any info regarding the KKs limits in regards to the frontal area. Is the 64 sq. ft. limit in yours? I'm heading outside with a tape measure … edit … this camper measures 80 sq. ft. :uhoh2:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant "new to me..." I re-read the towing section of my owners manual; it only states......but it doesn't give any info regarding the KKs limits in regards to the frontal area. Is the 64 sq. ft. limit in yours? I'm heading outside with a tape measure … edit … this camper measures 80 sq. ft. :uhoh2:

Just more drag, less gas mileage
plus you could always install a wing on the KK to get air flowing up over the trailer.
I did that when towing my 6X10 enclosed to Florida and back from Ohio, helped some

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
Just more drag, less gas mileage
plus you could always install a wing on the KK to get air flowing up over the trailer.
I did that when towing my 6X10 enclosed to Florida and back from Ohio, helped some
Is this the wing you mean?

You must be registered for see images

And I still can't find any information regarding frontal area trailer limits for the Liberty, nor for my TJ. Is the 64 sq. ft. limit listed in your owners manual?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this the wing you mean?

You must be registered for see images

And I still can't find any information regarding frontal area trailer limits for the Liberty, nor for my TJ. Is the 64 sq. ft. limit listed in your owners manual?

LOL that is not a wing but simply decoration
I built one more like a semi wing , more like a Wingmaster 900 Series Wing Flat Top Sleepers. Built it out of scrap I had, ( actually a part of a road sign, bent into a slight curve and braced )about 2 foot tall and full width of the Liberty

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
LOL that is not a wing but simply decoration
I built one more like a semi wing , more like a Wingmaster 900 Series Wing Flat Top Sleepers. Built it out of scrap I had, ( actually a part of a road sign, bent into a slight curve and braced )about 2 foot tall and full width of the Liberty
OK, I got it now... :icon_lol: Not an option for our KK, we've got a SkySlider top.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was in the book, mine's an '05.

My 16' trailer is about 6' tall and 7-8' wide with a v-nose, lightly loaded. Maybe 3500#. I hardly know it's there until the moose dodging begins.

Latest posts

Members online