Thinking about getting a '12

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laurenp

Reaction score
I have a tj right now '05 just want something nicer! Anyone had any problems out of them? It's a limited edition!

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problems on my 09 with 24k miles. Only had it 8 or so months.

The only issue I know of is the skysliders tend to have issues.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have had my 2012 almost a year and no problems. 34,000 miles

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have had my Liberty Jet imited 2012 for almost 2 years - about 5000 miles - poor gas mileage - 14.5.
has 20 inch tires - roughest riding vehicle I've ever owned - bar none
No way this thing is worth $29K out the door.
Bought it because I was recovering from back surgery and needed something with an
automatic transmission and low enough to be able to get into easily - compared to my
Ford 1 ton 4X4 diesel with a 6-speed manual ******.Went out and drove this one and bought it.
Get a heavy snow and it piles up on the roof and first time you brake,it slides foreward and covers the windshield - which is dangerous in traffic.
Need a bigger gas tank,since the mileage is so poor.
A Subaru Forester would have probably been a better choice,and about $5000 cheaper.

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 20in wheels what were you expecting?

Also, if you have snow on your roof isn't it common sense to clear it before driving? That's also a risk to other drivers should it hit them.

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I posted my experiences,since I apparently offended some.
However,it's my impression that a $29,000 vehicle should at least have a trip odometer,a power hatchback,a hood-lift system that doesn't require a prop to keep it open,and a gas tank sized to provide 300-400 miles capacity.
Having 2 torn rotator cuffs that aren't repairable,it is very difficult for me to clear the
roof.Our car and pickup truck don't require it.and the engineers who designed this vehicle should have fixed that.
Not having owned a vehicle with 20 inch tires before,I didn't realize the short sidewall
translates into a harsh ride.With a top-o-the-line vehicle,you should get a choice of wheel sizes.
As far as mileage,my wife's 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis 4-door V8 will get over 22 MPG on a 300 mile trip,driving at or slightly above the speed limit.My 1999 Ford F350 diesel gets 19 MPG consistently,and it weighs 7400 lbs.
Hey,the Liberty is what it is!
I selected it because I could get in and out of it easily,it has fairly good ground clearance,and it has the old-time 4 wheel drive low-range system.I can get to
the hunting camp via 4 miles of bad private log-road,I can back it up the 45 degree
bank to the shooting benches at our gun club's 500 yard range,and it will go thru a foot of snow fairly well.
If I find that there is something it can't do that I need it to do,I'll go buy something else.
In the meantime,this is my opinion!

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However,it's my impression that a $29,000 vehicle should at least have a trip odometer,a power hatchback,a hood-lift system that doesn't require a prop to keep it open,and a gas tank sized to provide 300-400 miles capacity.
Having 2 torn rotator cuffs that aren't repairable,it is very difficult for me to clear the
roof.Our car and pickup truck don't require it.and the engineers who designed this vehicle should have fixed that.
Not having owned a vehicle with 20 inch tires before,I didn't realize the short sidewall
translates into a harsh ride.With a top-o-the-line vehicle,you should get a choice of wheel sizes.
As far as mileage,my wife's 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis 4-door V8 will get over 22 MPG on a 300 mile trip,driving at or slightly above the speed limit.My 1999 Ford F350 diesel gets 19 MPG consistently,and it weighs 7400 lbs.
I selected it because I could get in and out of it easily,it has fairly good ground clearance,and it has the old-time 4 wheel drive low-range system.I can get to
the hunting camp via 4 miles of bad private log-road,I can back it up the 45 degree
bank to the shooting benches at our gun club's 500 yard range,and it will go thru a foot of snow fairly well.
If I find that there is something it can't do that I need it to do,I'll go buy something else.

So actually it does what it's suppose to? I live in a snow state, seen lots of vehicles that dump snow on windshield. Seen some have it fly off the back and hit another vehicle or the other vehicle swerves to miss. All dangerous. You can be pulled over for a hazard. Some states it's the law, to remove snow.
Wheel size is changeable, this seems more like a case of looked good , I like it. Now I hate it.
Gas mileage ***** never heard anybody lie about it. Some do better then others.
How is a Liberty a top of the line vehicle? For that I'd say Grand Cherokee.
I had low expectations for my KK, so much so I kept my V10 as a safety. Never needed it. My KK will never haul/tow what my V10 did. But my V10 would never fit were my KK goes. I now have just the KK. It has consistently surprised me and still fun to drive.

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Cherrie. The Liberty is not a luxury vehicle or high end. It is what it is a rugged vehicle to get you anywhere you want to go.

If you want fancy then the Grand Cherokee is the way to go. I would never buy the Liberty for 29k new.

Sorry your having a bad experience and hopefully you can find a vehicle that better fits your needs.

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I selected it because I could get in and out of it easily,it has fairly good ground clearance,and it has the old-time 4 wheel drive low-range system. If I find that there is something it can't do that I need it to do,I'll go buy something else.

The Jet Limited was the top of the Liberty line,I believe.In order tp get a power passenger seat,you had to get a jet limited.
If I gave the impression that I'm having a bad experience that isn't true.
I mentioned some features that are disappointing.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Jet Limited was the top of the Liberty line,I believe.In order tp get a power passenger seat,you had to get a jet limited.

If I gave the impression that I'm having a bad experience that isn't true.

I mentioned some features that are disappointing.

Oh all options, that's not what I think of for top of the line. I think of the most expensive vehicle from that maker.
Really my disappointments are that it didn't have (stock) good tires like AT's, and dealer wouldn't swap. All 4 wheel drives should have them. And the Radiator support/skid should be stock too. I did try to get one with the tow/skid package, so I knew what was missing.
Would it be nice if Skids, better gas milage recovery/ tow points be on them yep. For me, someone using it to haul kids/ groceries could careless.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You don't have a trip ODO? I do on my low-end 2004 sport...

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You fellows are correct -- This kk has 2 trip odometers also.
I finally found them,but the owner's manual doesn't mention them. My previous vehicles didn't have that type where the reset pin controls multiple trip odometers.
Thanks!

LKWJeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the temp display is standard too? I also love the auto headlights. I was upset with the cheap tires that Jeep put on the trail rated Liberty. Other jeeps have an A/T tire for the TR model. I just didn't feel comfortable leaving it on my Jeep.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Bmxer524

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have had my Liberty Jet imited 2012 for almost 2 years - about 5000 miles - poor gas mileage - 14.5.
has 20 inch tires - roughest riding vehicle I've ever owned - bar none
No way this thing is worth $29K out the door.
Bought it because I was recovering from back surgery and needed something with an
automatic transmission and low enough to be able to get into easily - compared to my
Ford 1 ton 4X4 diesel with a 6-speed manual ******.Went out and drove this one and bought it.
Get a heavy snow and it piles up on the roof and first time you brake,it slides foreward and covers the windshield - which is dangerous in traffic.
Need a bigger gas tank,since the mileage is so poor.
A Subaru Forester would have probably been a better choice,and about $5000 cheaper.

The harsh ride comes from the 20s. Jeep made the Jet a "street Jeep" and did it based on looks. Grab a set of 16s, or anything smaller than the 20s for that matter and you'll get some ride quality.

For the snow, I don't have that problem because I have a skyslider, the only part that slides down is right above the windshield which will come down after the cabin heats up anyways. As it was said, some states have a law that you must clear the roof. But I understand you have a disability so it makes it harder/impossible.

Mileage is garbage, but it's a Jeep. Underpowered v6 in a heavy box normally means bad gas mileage. Even then, stock I was getting 16/17 mpg with mostly highway(I'd say about 70% or so). All year long I'll net about 320-350miles to the tank. If I ran pure interstate I saw 20-22mpg. Worst I've ever saw stock was pure city(Long Island, NY here) in the winter and still averaged 12. You should be getting around 300 miles bare minimum to a tank, unless you do pure stop and go.

Now that I'm lifted and have larger tires I'm lucky if I see 16-17mpg. I usually average 14-15mpg with my 70% highway commute. Best I've seen so far after everything was 16, worst was 8.5. That 8.5 was with a foot of snow, 2wd "spirited" city driving.

Anyways, OP, the KK is pretty built proof for the most part. A few have/had lemons, but they don't seem too common. I have 34k miles on my 2011 Sport, so far no problems with my sky slider and nothing too serious. You should be fine with the mileage since you have a TJ(you should get better mileage in the KK, I believe). If you like how it drives and the price is good, by all means get it. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasn't on this Jet when I looked on it in dealer inventory.
If they had still been manufacturing them.I'd have ordered some other options.

Latest posts

Members online