Shopping for KJ KK on Oahu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlohaTRacer

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone--

I will be moving from Oahu to the Big Island within the next several months and have decided I'm going to part with my Cadillac and Smart. Since the Big Island has lots of places to explore that require 4WD, I'm looking at getting a Liberty; however, I'm not sure which of the used Libertys I've seen would be ideal. My destination will be Hilo which is on the wet side of the island, and I'll be residing outside of town where dirt roads aren't uncommon.

Here's what I've found on Oahu thus far:

1. 2005 Biodiesel CRD Limited with 95K miles, auto trans, hitch, slightly lifted. The dogleg-shaped transfer case lever reads "2H-4PartTime-4FullTime-N-4Lo" which I believe is a Selec-Trac.

2. 2008 3.7 V6 *6-speed manual*, 80K miles, 4WD selector switch reads "2WD-4WD Lock-4WD Low" which I guess is Command-Trac.

3. 2012 3.7 Auto, 48K miles, Tow Pkg with hitch and 7-pin socket. Has the same 4WD selector switch as the 2008 listed above.

4. 2009 3.7 Auto, 31K miles, Tow Pkg, 4WD selector switch reads "2WD-4WD Auto-4WD Low" which I believe is Selec-Trac II..?

This vehicle would be my daily driver (though I mostly work from home) with trips to Hilo Airport once-twice a week. It rains a lot on the Hilo side of the island. Traffic is not "LA" or Honolulu (which is bad too) so I have no preference on the transmission. I'd also be going up Mauna Kea (14K feet) to stargaze or down Waipio Valley Road (very steep!) to get to the beaches and there are no paved roads in that area. Getting out to some beaches requires driving on lava rock.

Any input from the experts on what Liberty I should focus on?

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Last edited:

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aloha!
I actually just moved off of Oahu last Wednesday. I had my '08 liberty the 4.5 years I was there (auto, tow package, command trac, etc...) which now as 112,*** on the odometer. No issues whatsoever on Oahu, as you probably can understand.

For military training, I've been around the more "rough" parts of the big island and, actual wheeling trails and cross-country aside, I haven't found any "normally traveled" area that my Jeep or similar wouldn't be able to go.

My only warning would be about the lava rock. I've never seen ANYTHING slash a tire as quickly as lava rock, particularly the really jagged stuff we trained on near Mauna Kea. Whatever you do end up getting, make sure it has the full size spare or you won't make it back out.

I hope this helps a bit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlohaTRacer

Reaction score
Phil,
Thanks for your note; my other half left for Misawa AFB just yesterday after spending her last 4 years at Hickam.

I like the front end styling of the KK more but I admit the CRD has me intrigued; I've only seen two on this island. I didn't realize the KK also came in a stock shift until one came up on CL!

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phil,
Thanks for your note; my other half left for Misawa AFB just yesterday after spending her last 4 years at Hickam.

I like the front end styling of the KK more but I admit the CRD has me intrigued; I've only seen two on this island. I didn't realize the KK also came in a stock shift until one came up on CL!

I like the styling of the KK too, but I'm a bit biased.

I've always been intrigued by the CRD as well. Just watch out for what they actually put in the gas tank. If they listed it as "biodiesel" they may actually have put that in it as well. It was not originally designed to use biodiesel, so unless they replaced a number of hoses and such, it may be a ticking timebomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk