Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep liberty 3.7

Reaction score
I have a 2003 jeep liberty sport with the 3.7 v6. I had a code for a oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2 I replaced the sensor and reset my codes! The problem I am having is I drove 180 miles and went to get it inspected and it failed because the cat and evap codes are not ready. I have been driving it and having the codes checked and I have went over 850 miles and the evap and cat are still not ready. The garage told me in NY state I can have one code not ready they said to keep the gas tank at least half and the evap code will set but no luck.
Does anyone know how many miles I have to put on it or if there could be something wrong with the computer?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you replaced the 02 with an OEM sensor, right? (not a cheap aftermarket one) Sounds like it should have reset. You need several cycles usually to clear a code. A cycle is stone cold to running it on the highway shut off. Stone cold start the next day and repeat ..... like you went to work a couple of days.

Did you check the gas cap? Get an OEM one. It could be other things.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

(ps-I moved your thread to the KJ section since you said you had an 03)

Last edited:

Jeep liberty 3.7

Reaction score
Yes I got a OEM sensor and no I don't check the gas cap. I have been driving it everyday the past 10 days as much as possible the 850 miles are mostly highway miles! I have had this jeep for almost 3 years and last year I had to replace a different oxygen sensor. I drove it back and forth to work for a week and it passed with no issues. The garage told me the codes I have are not trouble codes because they are not turning the check engine light on.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You likely failed emission testing because the readiness tests done by the vehicles computer had not been completed not because of an actual trouble code