No floor heat - 2012 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ekotty

Reaction score
I am not getting any floor heat on either the driver side or passenger side floor. Heat works normally on defrost and dash settings but when turned on floor heat it will blow out of the defrost instead.

I've visually confirmed the blend door motor functions (moves) and have changed the mode door actuator motor. Still no floor heat.

Is my only next option to remove the dash (aka, pay the dealership to remove the dash) and confirm nothing is blocking the heat chute to the floor?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jeep Liberty 2012 limited 4wd

https://imgur.com/98y2dGB
https://imgur.com/2YYnTOP
https://imgur.com/urssFDh

Rich75043

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does any blow in the floor on the bi-level setting? that would tell you a little more info at least.

KKinTexas

Reaction score
You need to replace your whole distribution box. I just did this repair on my daughter's 2010 kk. The actuators work fine, but no heat. That box has 4 movable dampers. The bottom 2 are controlled by the temp knob (lower actuator)and either direct the air through or around the heater core. The top 2 conteol what vents the air comes out (upper actuator) and is controlled by the mode knob. What happens us the top damper seals melt and gum up the works and then the actuator chews up the gear on the side trying to move it. No way to fix this.
This took me about 6-7 hours to do in the garage last Saturday . Part is about $180 on amazon. Also, buy the seal kit and just use the pieces you need. You will need it.
MOPAR 68004022AA HOUSING (68004022AA)
MOPAR 68003995AA SEAL KIT
You will also have to disconnect the heater hoses in the engine bay and remove as much of the coolant from the heater core as possible. We gently blew out the coolant into a bucket via some tubing. It takes time and patience, but you can do it with some basic tools.
Pop off the top panels, center stack pieces radio, center console, footwell pieces and side panels. Remove 4 bolts up top, remove top vents, all bolts in center, bottom 2 side bolts. Remove 4 steering wheel bolts and 2 silver bolts under there also. Lower the column. Pull and wiggle whole dash loose
Hardest part is plastic post on drivers side you cant see it and holds everything in place. Keep pulling and wiggling. It ia also hard to get back in. Carefully loosen all wires. I did not remove the dash.
Undo clips and screws on distribution box and pull up and out to the passenger side. Replace in reverse order after swapping out all your actuators and install new seals.
One key is to make sure you seat the the box into the back 2 tabs. My advice is cut them off on bottom part. We thought ours was in, but left a small gap and we broke the plastic tab/clip on the left side which prevented us front snugging those two together. I just used some wadding to prevent the leaking. I didnt find out until we tested it after everything was back together![emoji34] not going to redo that! This was a big issue because it has been below zero here in michigan for 3 weeks now! Voila, all works as should.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny, I just noticed today that when in the floor mode I only get a little towards the floor. Most seems to be coming out the defrost. Bilevel works fine. I was wondering why my feet were so cold last week when it was near 0F. Mine's an 05 KJ so must just be another Chrysler engineering marvel.

KKinTexas

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my box looking at the top dampers.
You can see the dissolved rubber seal that gummed up the damper to get jammed. Not sure what causes this, but it also sticks to the other damper if it does move. Mine was stuck so only heat came out of defroster not on your feet.
Also, the air wants to come out more on passenger side than drivers feet, so this is a design issue. Not much to do about that, but cover the passenger foot exit with some tape to divert more air on the drivers feet..
You must be registered for see images attach

KKinTexas

Reaction score
Trying upload again
You must be registered for see images attach