More aggressive tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty09

Reaction score
I am trying to outfit my 09 liberty with more agresstive tires but I am having trouble finding tires that will work with my 18" rims....235/60/r18. I only found one so far. Is this a lost cause unless i by smaller rims? The OD of my existing set up is about 29.1"

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to outfit my 09 liberty with more agresstive tires but I am having trouble finding tires that will work with my 18" rims....235/60/r18. I only found one so far. Is this a lost cause unless i by smaller rims? The OD of my existing set up is about 29.1"

First WELCOME
second , we do have a tire section
third, all tires on the KJs and KKs are about the same height ( 29 inches stock )
BUT in an 18 inch wheel darn near impossible to find a good aggressive tire in that height range, they are all street tires pretty much
Dropping to a 16 inch wheel gives you a lot more choices

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could also go to a 17" rim and get more tire options. 16" is the best for different tire options like Tom said though.

Welcome.

Dave

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard decent things about the Yokohama Geolander AT/S:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...R8G015XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

It looks like if you go up 1 size (which, based on spring sag, might be possible on stock suspension) to 245/60/18, you get a new option: the Continental TERRAINCONTACT A/T.

It may even be possible to get away with a very SLIGHTLY shorter tire, but wider tire. Here's the BFG ATs in 255/55/18:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...555R8KO2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Terra Grapplers too: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d....do&fl=&pc=29647&counter=0&ar=55&rd=18&cs=255

General AT2: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d....do&fl=&pc=32776&counter=0&ar=55&rd=18&cs=255

This size has seemed to have worked at least once: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44873

All seem a bit pricey...but that's what happens with the bigger rim.

Play with the tire size with an online size comparison tool and see if you can find similar sizes with more options!

Last edited:

Liberty09

Reaction score
More aggressive tires..the saga continues

First, sorry for not posting in the tires sections.....

Second....trying to find 16" rims that fit my 09 liberty 4WD limited. Websites for new rims won't even offer me the option (based on 'shop by vehicle')...

Can I just buy rims based on 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern AND (1) same or similar width, (2) same or similar offset (3) same mounting flange..?

THis shouldn't be this hard......

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Second....trying to find 16" rims that fit my 09 liberty 4WD limited. Websites for new rims won't even offer me the option (based on 'shop by vehicle')...

Can I just buy rims based on 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern AND (1) same or similar width, (2) same or similar offset (3) same mounting flange..?

Could try to find stock 16s on fleaBay. Would be your cheapest option. Otherwise price wise it would be best to get any of the tire options I posted above.

Otherwise yes. 5x4.5, 7 inch wide, 5.5" backspacing (i believe?), not sure on mounting.

Not sure where in MN you are, but with a paint job, these can be refurbished pretty well:

https://mankato.craigslist.org/pts/d/jeep-liberty-wheels-and/6228277524.html

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Craigslist, Salvage yards etc all have wheels cheap
Go to car-parts.com type in year , model , wheels and it will show what local junk yards have can choose size as well

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also after buying the rims, check the Cooper STT Pro tyres. I have been running them for 1500km, mostly off-road and i am very happy with them. Pricey, but even though they are mud tyres, they are not so loud... Only gas mileage has dropped.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also after buying the rims, check the Cooper STT Pro tyres. I have been running them for 1500km, mostly off-road and i am very happy with them. Pricey, but even though they are mud tyres, they are not so loud... Only gas mileage has dropped.

I'll second this. Have them in 265/70/17 and put on about 3k miles with HEAVY abuse. My main concern was finding a mud tire that handled well on wet roads.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll second this. Have them in 265/70/17 and put on about 3k miles with HEAVY abuse. My main concern was finding a mud tire that handled well on wet roads.

They are most certainly abused. There are some chunks out of his tires. :happy175:

Would another tire have stood up to the punishment better? Who knows? :shrug: