Misfire when wet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Creepmsu

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Here is one for you. This past Sunday, I jumped in my 2011 Liberty with 115,000 on it and started it up. It seemed to be doing a little rough, but I didn't think anything of it really and took off. When I got to the main road and started to accelerate, it was very jerky and hesitant. Then the check engine light started flashing (which I know isn't good). As soon as I took my foot off the gas, the CEL went off completely and it smoothed out. When I accelerated again, same thing. CEL blinkijng and jerky. Drive it for a little bit and once the engine warmed up a bit everything smoothed out and no more CEL. I should also mention that it was very moist and dewy out that morning.

The next morning it was very dry. I jumped in and took off and no issues at all. Drive like a dream.

Today, it rained a bit and when I jumped in, it started doing the same thing as Sunday.

I have not taken it into get the codes pulled, but I am pretty sure it was misfiring and due to moisture/wetness.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Martin059

Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 Jeep Liberty about 2 weeks ago and noticed going up hill that it does a slight jerk feeling when I give it some gas to maintain speed. It only has 70,000 miles on it I wish I never got it.::: ( BUT NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT ON THIS CHAT ) about jeep issues sad form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2011 Jeep Liberty about 2 weeks ago and noticed going up hill that it does a slight jerk feeling when I give it some gas to maintain speed. It only has 70,000 miles on it I wish I never got it.::: ( BUT NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT ON THIS CHAT ) about jeep issues sad form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad forum ?? LOL
Could be many things without more information no one can give a complete answer
So when was last tune up, does it do it any other times and things like that
Give more info and maybe we can help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Here is one for you. This past Sunday, I jumped in my 2011 Liberty with 115,000 on it and started it up. It seemed to be doing a little rough, but I didn't think anything of it really and took off. When I got to the main road and started to accelerate, it was very jerky and hesitant. Then the check engine light started flashing (which I know isn't good). As soon as I took my foot off the gas, the CEL went off completely and it smoothed out. When I accelerated again, same thing. CEL blinkijng and jerky. Drive it for a little bit and once the engine warmed up a bit everything smoothed out and no more CEL. I should also mention that it was very moist and dewy out that morning.

The next morning it was very dry. I jumped in and took off and no issues at all. Drive like a dream.

Today, it rained a bit and when I jumped in, it started doing the same thing as Sunday.

I have not taken it into get the codes pulled, but I am pretty sure it was misfiring and due to moisture/wetness.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Have you checked the spark plugs/ boots/ wiring/ coil packs etc
Take a spray bottle and start spraying around all of the above areas.
Moisture is getting in somewhere