KK vs MK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nws2002

Reaction score
So, I currently drive an 04 KJ. While I love the Jeep, she is getting close to 150,000 miles and I kinda want a new one.

Today I went to the dealership and drove both a Compass and a Patriot. While nice enough, they really felt like cars and very underpowered. The sales guy tried to convince me it was the CVT that made them feel underpowered. They had a few used KKs but nothing with 4WD so I plan to look around some more locally first.

I guess the question is, has anyone here purchased a Patriot or Compass and been happy with it? The majority of my driving is highway and city, to and from work. However, I guess I could keep the KJ for having fun and drive the other most of the time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
try the Compass / Patriot sections on LOSTJEEPS and also the JEEP Forum also

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother has an '07 or '08 Patriot with a manual transmission. I think he's getting close to 150K on it because he commutes more than an hour each way to work. He loves it, appreciates the almost 30 mpg, and it has never given him problems. When his family outgrew the Patriot, they got a minivan but kept the Patriot instead of trading it in. I think if I needed a second vehicle, I'd look at a Patriot.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are jeeps version of crossovers. If u don't plan on going 4wheeling then they are good otherwise get the KK. I got a 2012KK and I am lovin it only had it for 9months it's 4x4

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've rode in the patriot a few times, never driven one...but from what I could tell riding in it, it seemed to be very underpowered. I think you would especially notice it if you went from the 3.7L KJ to that. I've never been in a compass, but have a friend who has one. She likes it, but says its terrible in the snow. She has a 4x2...and she may just not be good at driving in the snow. Either way, they're both based on a car chassis...so if you're planning on leaving the pavement at all I would steer clear of both. I say go with a KK...but get a 4x4.

Or just start modding your KJ if you haven't already. Sometimes you gotta spice up an old relationship...you know, role playing, maybe some edible underwear...whoops, wrong forum lol. The principle is the same...find some cool stuff to do to the KJ to keep your interest.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've rode in the patriot a few times, never driven one...but from what I could tell riding in it, it seemed to be very underpowered. I think you would especially notice it if you went from the 3.7L KJ to that. I've never been in a compass, but have a friend who has one. She likes it, but says its terrible in the snow. She has a 4x2...and she may just not be good at driving in the snow. Either way, they're both based on a car chassis...so if you're planning on leaving the pavement at all I would steer clear of both. I say go with a KK...but get a 4x4.

Or just start modding your KJ if you haven't already. Sometimes you gotta spice up an old relationship...you know, role playing, maybe some edible underwear...whoops, wrong forum lol. The principle is the same...find some cool stuff to do to the KJ to keep your interest.

You forgot about the chains and shackles

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have driven a patriot and the compass for the size that they are i feel that the power is just right but they could use just a lettle more pep. if i had to pick between the two i would pick the patriot

nws2002

Reaction score
My KJ is completely stock, aside from seat covers on the front two seats. I bought it after my Mazda 3 was totaled. Thankfully the Mazda was paid off and so I went looking for a new car. My neighbor had the KJ for sale and I fell in love with the thing after driving it once and decided to just buy it even though it had over 100,000 miles on it. I really haven't had to do much besides general maintenance and the KJ has never left me stranded. Overall, I've been more than happy with it.

Last week I was in Arizona on a business trip. The rental car lot had a whole line of Patriots so I asked if I could have one instead of the car I rented and the agent said sure. After driving that poor underpowered Jeep up and down the mountain from Phoenix to Flagstaff I decided I would never be able to deal with it all the time.

So, for now I'll stick with the KJ, but I'm looking around for a 4x4 KK.

Thanks for the input everyone!

nws2002

Reaction score

Lol. Whatever it takes to keep the love alive.

I actually still love the KJ. Just getting worried that I'm going to be stuck on the side of the freeway one day when she decides to give up on me.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Whatever it takes to keep the love alive.

I actually still love the KJ. Just getting worried that I'm going to be stuck on the side of the freeway one day when she decides to give up on me.

If you love her and she is running good, just keep up with the regular maintenance, and give her a pat on the fender and keep on driveing.........:smokin:

Dave

nws2002

Reaction score
Found my new Jeep! 2011 with just over 20k in miles. Waiting for the transfer from an affiliate to my local dealership to complete the deal.

3867-001001.jpg

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my new Jeep! 2011 with just over 20k in miles. Waiting for the transfer from an affiliate to my local dealership to complete the deal.

3867-001001.jpg

Nice choice now all u gotta do is black out the badges and chrome grill and side panels:smoke2:

sniperinblue

Reaction score
My wife has a 2010 Patriot and loves it. Great gas mileage and gets around great in all conditions. I have a 2012 Liberty and I love it. We had a Compass for a loaner for a day. It was ok if you're into station wagons.