A/C issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Looks like the video failed. Thanks, Photobucket.

To describe it, the needle jumps from low to "danger" when the compressor kicks on, then goes back to low when it cycles off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the high side pressures. I don't know the exact amount in the system because I made the classic rookie mistake of a "quick fix" can off the shelf of O'Reilly's. Some time while I was deployed the system lost pressure and I thought I could fix it like that.

The whole system is probably toast, but I'm hoping that there's still a way to salvage it.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I got an AC manifold gauge set from Harbor Freight for $45, might see if they're running any good deals. Minimum get a 20% off coupon.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If what you added had stop leak in it plan on a complete AC system replacement to include every line,compressor,condenser,receiver/dryer,and evap core which is about $2000-$2500 for a KK.

If that is truly the high side that means you have a restriction in the system sending the high side pressures to above 250psi,somewhere between 300-400psi the compressor will explode.

libordemise

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nightmare thread... $$$

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
In my case, the fix was dirt cheap. My suction line went bad. (Low pressure side, the line that goes from the compressor to the firewall)... $60+recharge... good as new.

Of course this was after I paid $505 because the A/C was misdiagnosed as a bad cooling fan, and the sound that I heard was the system dumping refrigerant at the pressure release valve... :Insane: :Insane: :Insane: :Insane: The sound that I heard was air in the lines. Sigh.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Do you hear a hissing noise inside when the A/C compressor is running?

I did with my WK.
In my case, the fix was dirt cheap. My suction line went bad. (Low pressure side, the line that goes from the compressor to the firewall)... $60+recharge... good as new.

Of course this was after I paid $505 because the A/C was misdiagnosed as a bad cooling fan, and the sound that I heard was the system dumping refrigerant at the pressure release valve... :Insane: :Insane: :Insane: :Insane: The sound that I heard was air in the lines. Sigh.

A shop put some dye in the WK and I checked it with the blacklight, no leaks in the engine bay so that lead me to believe it was the evap core. Part of the reason why it's not in the driveway now:emotions34:

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If what you added had stop leak in it plan on a complete AC system replacement to include every line,compressor,condenser,receiver/dryer,and evap core which is about $2000-$2500 for a KK.

If that is truly the high side that means you have a restriction in the system sending the high side pressures to above 250psi,somewhere between 300-400psi the compressor will explode.

Well, that's exactly what I was afraid of. I was guessing that the stop-leak caused a restriction in the system. I didn't know a total replacement would be that expensive, though. Good thing I'm moving to Washington soon...I hear it doesn't top 80...

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure you're on the high pressure side ? Think I see a blue hose which usually connects to the low side .

Latest posts

Members online