Air Conditioning Trouble/Strange Behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the AC works, but does not put out enough cold air.

I hooked up a R134a recharge unit with a gauge, and observed that the compressor kicks in for 6 seconds and the shuts off for 6 seconds, and repeats. When the compressor is on, the gauge reads at the top of the green pressure range (good), but of course drops down into the red when the compressor is off. Why would the compressor be switching on and off?

Could it be that there is too much pressure in the system?

Last edited:

justjeeps

Reaction score
Maybe some one with a/c background will confirm, but I think your gauge should go high when the compressor is off and back down to normal when the clutch is engaged, perhaps I thinking of how the gauge responds when the engine is not running and connected.

Have you tried jumping the clutch relay to force it on. I had to do this to charge mine but ended up building a vacuum pump from an ac compressor. I miss Harbor Freight for those low use tools.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for it to turn on and off like that? Mine does it but it works fine, ac is cold and has been like that for the last 9 months.

[email protected]

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC Compressor Bearing Seized and burned, taking the serpentine belt with it. I replaced the AC compressor with a remanufactured unit. Now, I want to recharge it. Can I recharge it with an outdoor (the only place I have to work on it) temperature of 40 degrees F?

Latest posts

Members online