AC not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atwrangler

Reaction score
Hey everybody, new to the forum, but not to Jeeps. I am driving across the country right now and of course my wife's air conditioner quit working in her 2008 Liberty. The compressor is not running. I tried to recharge but as the compressor isn't running it won't fill. The pulley spins and there's no noise. I can move the compressor clutch by hand. I tried to jump the low pressure switch and didn't get anything. Voltage into the lp switch is reading 5 vdc. That seems low. When I removed the jumper (paperclip) from the LP switch the RPMs changes and the fans spin faster for a few seconds. The fuses looked fine. The voltage into the compressor reads 13vdc. I checked the resistance on the compressor and it read O/L. I'm pretty sure the compressor is done, but would love to find a different solution if possible. Like I said, I'm on the road so limited in what repairs I can make and having ac would be great. Do any of you have experience with this or know something I might be missing?

France

Reaction score
Is the Compressor clutch is not moving?
Another sign of a problematic compressor is the clutch not moving. The clutch on the compressor is what allows the pulley to engage and disengage from engine power so that the compressor is only turning when it needs to be. The clutch can seize, which permanently keeps the compressor activated; or it can break, which means the compressor will not be able to receive engine power. Sometimes the clutch itself can be replaced, but usually replacing the entire compressor turns out to be the most efficient repair.

The AC compressor is the heart of the AC system. If you suspect that your AC compressor or another component of your vehicle’s AC system is having issues, consider having the system diagnosed by a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic. If necessary, they will also be able to replace the AC compressor for you.

Atwrangler

Reaction score
The compressor/clutch is not moving. The pulley spins with the belt, but the clutch doesn't engage. I can freely spin the clutch by hand. As I said, I'm on the road and can't exactly take half the engine apart in a hotel parking lot. I'll be at my destination tomorrow so I will just deal with it till then, it's only like 97°F outside. I can do the work, I just need it drained down. I was just seeing if there was a quicker fix en route.

Latest posts

Members online