2012 KK, Gear Selector sticks when cold, please advise...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
Our 2012 Jeep Liberty KK, the gear selector sticks, or binds, after it has sent for more than six or so hours. The colder the weather is, the harder the selector is to force out of Park. Does anyone have any ideas that won't involve a trip to dealer? :help: I did an internet search and did not find anything.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Take the console bezel off, it just pops up.
Look for dust and dry linkages. It gets in there rather easily. It's crazy.
If you don't see any grease, add white lithium grease... I *think* that's what's on there.

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
Take the console bezel off, it just pops up.
Look for dust and dry linkages. It gets in there rather easily. It's crazy.
If you don't see any grease, add white lithium grease... I *think* that's what's on there.

Thanks, I will give that a look-see.

EagleOne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know what you find. I have same year and model, but no issues yet!

The Jeep Driver

Reaction score
Please let us know what you find. I have same year and model, but no issues yet!

The sticking issue is not cold related after all; it's been record-setting cold here, and the gear selector is working fine. I still need to get the bezel off and clean it out as suggested. I will post once I do.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
There's a cable from the shifter that runs to the ignition switch as part of a safety interlock to preclude starting in gear. That's on my KJ, I'm not sure how different the KK is.

As a test try pushing the release clip and sliding the whole squarish cable end out of the ignition switch assembly, (towards the front if I remember right). That should disable the interlock which might eliminate some possibilities.

Latest posts

Members online