2009 Jeep Liberty Fuel Pump Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kalpers

Reaction score
My 2009 Jeep Liberty stopped running the other day and determined that the fuel pump wasn't running. I pulled the fuel pump out. I tested the voltage at the plug and I am getting 12 volts when you turn on the key. I then hooked up a small battery charger to the pump and it runs when hooked up to the battery charger. If I plug it back in, the pump doesn't run. I also unplugged the wire from inside the pump to make sure the connection at the plug at the top of the pump to the pump was getting voltage and I confirm it is. So now I am trying to determine if the pump is bad and will only run with more current from the battery charger or if there is something wrong with the relay that is causing for not enough current.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Have you checked voltage in the system when the Jeep is running WITHOUT the battery charger hooked up? How old is the battery?

kalpers

Reaction score
Have you checked voltage in the system when the Jeep is running WITHOUT the battery charger hooked up? How old is the battery?

The Jeep isn't currently running so I'm not able to check the output of the battery/alternator. I did hook up the charger to the battery so at least I was getting the same or similar power source. I saw a post that someone said that they had problems when their battery was going bad. I am not sure how old the battery is since I just purchased the Jeep from a private owner. I thought there might be something wrong prior to the purchase because they just bought it and was already getting rid of it. However my wife thought it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I have a new battery that I will have to put in the car and try out. Before the fuel pump stopped working, the vehicle would act like it was running out of gas for a second and then it would be fine.

kalpers

Reaction score
Solved the problem. There was a ground connector that was broken under the back seat. I removed the back seat, carpet and sound proofing and found the electrical connector that was bolted to the frame had broken off and wasn't making a connection. It looks like the connector cracked when it was installed but was making enough of a connection until recently.