Windshield Cleaning for Night Vision!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Update:Two weeks after commercial glass cleaner, I again had cleaned the windshield & blades in the daytime, and it looked very good.
That night I hop in the Jeep, and can hardly see thru the windshield !
Nothing but streaking, water spots of wax or something impairing night vision big time again!
Have no fear, my new final secret weapon is here!
54198[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

With the windshield wet, no point in using the glass cleaners, I use the Comet & Fast Orange into a wet scrub pad!
Get at the windshield back and forth, and what a difference!
54200[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

This time in the rain, wipers going, still clean & steak free many weeks later, Nice!:gr_grin: :party52:

Attachments

• Windshield%20Clarity%20In%20Rain2.jpg
    Windshield%20Clarity%20In%20Rain2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Windshield%20Clarity%20In%20Rain.jpg
    Windshield%20Clarity%20In%20Rain.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought Comet contained abrasives?
If it is "soft" abrasives like my boats use on their gel then that would prolly work well.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Last Spring when I did my big clean-everything-completely maintenance I used some Armor-All wipes designed for the inside of the windshield. It was great for a while and really kept the fog down on humid summer days. Trouble is, it seems to have accumulated a lot of dirt in the wax (or whatever was in there) which now looks dingy and streaky and is also proving almost impossible to remove. I have windexed the thing a number of times and it still looks hazy.

Maybe I'll try a blowtorch next time... :shrug:

Gyro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Windex and Industrial paper towel.
I finish with it a dry piece, then Rain-x windshield and wiper blades.

Gyro

Attachments

• 800-brown-hardwound-roll-paper-towel-6-case.jpg
    800-brown-hardwound-roll-paper-towel-6-case.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, half of it has been the applications of Back to Black to roof rails, and Armorall, mix. This drips down into glass and makes a mess I think eventually.
Now that I have stopped detailing/using it for the winter, problem seems to have stopped.
As far as the comet abrasiveness, ya it is a bit and that is what cuts the grime off.
Keep in in mind that this is applied in a wet mixture into pad, not dry powder, and does great w/ no scratches.
Ever had a really stained coffee cup and had a heck of a time getting the stains out?
Well, Comet & fast orange works great there too, no stains & slippery after a scrub.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Old bodyshop trick I learned many many many many ( whoops typing like Old Hick now) was just use a brillo pad or SOS pad
Cleans the windows great, gets all of that build up crap off of them etc
Been using them for the last 30 plus years with no harm.
Of course you don't want to rub rub rub rub on one spot for two hours but..............

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ Nice info too. But the guy broke one of the Vette owners (of which I'm one too) rule of not taking a garden hose to the car. lol

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow 8.25 minutes totally wasted , thought I would learn something new from a " Vette" owner. I do all of my windows sides, back etc that way after cleaning with a SOS pad, then clay bar, wax etc.
Been doing same things for years now , guess I should of made a video! :shrug::happy175:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"New" might mean stop using abrasives on your windows. Doing the same thing over and over doesn't make it the right way, it just makes it your preferred way. No glass maker recommends using abrasives of any kind on their glass products. But you can, if you want.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That video was aimed at those people, whomever they are, who don't know everything about everything. :happy175:
Yeah claybar does wonders, but I'm sure some people in internet-land don't know that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"New" might mean stop using abrasives on your windows. Doing the same thing over and over doesn't make it the right way, it just makes it your preferred way. No glass maker recommends using abrasives of any kind on their glass products. But you can, if you want.

Been doing it for over 40 years on all of mine when really dirty
Even one old time glass installer did it until he retired
Not like you are using sand paper :favorites68:
COMMON SENSE folks :happy175::happy175:

dang getting like facebook
next thing we'll hear it takes 7 hours to clean a windshield the right way like changing a valve cover :shrug::emotions34::icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That video was aimed at those people, whomever they are, who don't know everything about everything. :happy175:
Yeah claybar does wonders, but I'm sure some people in internet-land don't know that.

never said I did just sharing like you do
:whip::emotions34:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean I know everything about everything???

Didnt know that:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::shrug:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^Hey, what do I know? I just use "invisiglass" and you can see like you took out the windshield but you don't get the blown back hair-doo and the bugs in your teeth......The best thing is it's a "one beer job" so when the beer is gone the job is done.......LOL

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just drive around until a big rock takes out the glass entirely. Perfect view afterwards and no maintenance.

Of course, brushing all the bugs out of my teeth does take some time...

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drive around until a big rock takes out the glass entirely. Perfect view afterwards and no maintenance.

Of course, brushing all the bugs out of my teeth does take some time...

But no need to ever worry whether air is coming out the wrong vents! :gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online