Undercarriage Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for painting the undercarriage? I was going to paint it with duplicolor rubber coating so I can stop the rust cancer before it sets in and make subsequent cleanings of it easier.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used duplicolor bedliner and it's already rusting through again. I've heard good things about rustoleum

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard good things about POR15 even though I haven't tried it myself yet. I am considering it.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm going to go with the duplicolor rubber paint, since on that thread someone said the rubber lasted several years. I'm also going to use high temp paint on the calipers and rotors.

Going to do this when I get my new rear diff cover and before I lift her so I don't have to worry about getting paint on the shiny new shocks!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you are removing all of the rust before you paint i would recommend chasis black coat made by por-15 it is similar to por-15 but is meant for application to bare metal, or as a uv resistant top coat to por-15 aside from that the durability is equal to that of por-15, then i would top the cbc with evercoat undercoating

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any good paint will work
all mines ever had under it, repaint touch up every year

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
The "frame rails" have holes that will fill up with whatever you run through. If I was serious,think cleaning rails out and using an oil type coating would make sense. I know mine were FULL of fine sand/dirt/crap.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "frame rails" have holes that will fill up with whatever you run through. If I was serious,think cleaning rails out and using an oil type coating would make sense. I know mine were FULL of fine sand/dirt/crap.

I've got crap everywhere, every time i look under there I find more and more that I didn't see before lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use gloss black Rustoleum every fall and mine is still black after this winter.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the rustoleum enamel that they have at fastenal. works really well, front suspension is getting it this summer. Did my steel rims with it for my fusion and it holds up great. Did some bare steel pliers that were a little rusted, looks like powdercoat. The semi gloss looks flat which is nice.

Tried cans of tremclad, rustcheck black, Catipillar black enamel, asphalt undercoating and rust coverter and the above works best.

Haven't tried hammered but hear good things.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I sprayed a little bit of the duplicolor rubberized undercoating at work on a shelf. It looks like :poop: brown. So I'm going to use the rustoleum instead since you guys seem to love it so much

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i had my liberty undercoated by ziebart and then i went and got some eastwood internal frame coating and coated the inside of the frame rails and works great to coat the inside of the body panels. I used about three bottles it is the best stuff to use and does not take long to coat frame rails with this.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in chicago so salt is my culprit first i clean the under side with a power washer no bed liner or rusto will help any if any contaminants are being sealed in with it then i got at it with a can of gloss rusto and a quart of rusto to hit all the tight spot then i high heat rusto anything that gets hot i usually do this once a year it can be quit relaxing under the libby with a paint brush

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've started using fluid film on the undersides of my Jeeps. It doesn't cover the rust, just keeps it from spreading. You cant just spray paint or undercoating over rust, the rust will continue to rust.

Ive bought the fluid film kit, comes with a spray gun, bottles, extension tubes for doing the frame, etc. Works good. I use about a gallon of fluid film a year on my Jeeps. About $40 or so.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What frame rails. The liberty doesn't have a frame.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The unibody support rails running along the bottom of the body, hence the quotations around "frame rails"

Latest posts

Members online