Leveling touch up paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to touch up a deep scratch on the side of my KJ last summer with touch-up paint (brush type). It left a clump of paint. How do I go about leveling it out? Won’t be able to work on it until the weather gets better. Maybe in March or April.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wetsand is one way, but it depends on how clumpy you are talking. You can buff touchup paint down with rubbing compound with a little elbow grease. Cause less damage to surrounding paint, and less visible marks.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wetsanding would be the best way, but you have to be able to use a rotary buffer in order to get those wetsanding marks out.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's some kind of product that will do it for you. I think its called Langa or similar sounding...

C.W.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought the langka paint chip repair kit to use on my saab, I'll let you know if it works this weekend.

langka.com

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, thats it. Let us know how it works. I got a chip on my hood from a rock.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother, a custom painter, has used this technique with great success.

If he had a customer who'd used touch-up paint and left a raised "blob", he's use a new, single edged razor blade to carefully "slice" layers of the blob off, don't try to remove it all at once. After getting the touched up area fairly level, he'd use progressively finer, wet/dry paper to level the repair with the surrounding paint. He's then buff, polish and wax the repair.

His way of repairing chipped paint...

First, don't use the brush that comes with the touch-up paint. Get a book of matches, pull one out and dip it very lightly into the paint. Dab a thin coat of paint into the chip, keeping within the chip, try not to overlap onto the undamaged area.

Repeat this process until you've built the paint up to the level of the surrounding paint. Let the touched up area set for at least two weeks, the lightly sand with 500, 1000 then 1500 grit, wet/dry paper. Use a spray bottle with a drop of dish washing liquid to keep the paper from clogging.

Buff with a white polishing compound, polish with your choice of polish, then wax.

It's tedious, but the repair is almost invisible when done... Hope this helps someone...

deekny

Reaction score
i'd steer clear of wet-sanding unless you for sure know what you're up to! not trying to sound rude but do you think it was the quality of the touchup paint that it blob up or possibly user error?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online