Rock's Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Been long enough I think - time to get some pics of mine out there along with a bit of the story.

When the POS I had been driving started showing a bunch of problems, I decided it was time for a new ride. Went to the bank, opened a HELOC and got onto shopping.

At first, I was thinking Nissan XTERRA. < GASP > The Denver market is pretty expensive and I couldn't find one in good shape for a price that matched it's condition. The dealerships were gearing up for tax return season and I talked to 5 of them and couldn't get them to deal. Probably drove 7 different ones. The more I started looking into them though, the more I started hearing about problems with the timing chain - more specifically, the tensioners. 26 bolts after removing all the front end didn't sound like fun, so Nissan went to the wayside.

Then, checking crackslist, I saw this:
You must be registered for see images attach

I started researching and found that I could put in a lift kit for just $300! Wow! :signs75:

So, I bought it. Talked the guy down a whole $100!

Then I came to this site and started reading. And suddenly I was spending more than $300. Funny how that works.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Yup.

First purchase was the SypderTrax 1.5" spacers. I wanted the wide stance cuz it looks sharp and because I planned to put a Tepui RoofTop Tent on it: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0238/3501/products/Autana_Sky_tan_rooftop_tent_2.jpg?v=1464811261

Last edited:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to go with the TM Econo lift, but Tom's review at JBA for the JBA lifts convinced me to go with their coilover, UCA's, springs and shocks.

Notice the pucks? I'm a *bit* of an Avalanche fan

Now, I'm a computer guy who also plays guitar and have been in bands since I was 14. (I'm MUCH older than that now) I grew up as a farm kid though. Knew my way around the shop and was proficient. I was looking forward to wrenching again. I've always done the majority of the work on my vehicles, usually only using a mech if I didn't have the tools.

I now started buying tools.

Lift turned out pretty well, I think

More pictures later.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! I wish MA didn't outlaw spacers or else I'd probably throw a set on. Nanny states suck.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really awesome Jeep, rockdart.

Dave

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

Those coilovers and rear shocks are awesome, aren't they? My lift is too tall to have the Total Control shocks in the rear (unless I make a mod Tom's been after me to make for a while now... ) but the fronts are fantastic.

Don't be shy about posting more pics of your progress!

Bob

Last edited:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift looks good but I'm not a fan of the wheels. Nice Av's hockey pucks.:gr_grin:

I hear ya. They're more "Metal" than "Mudder" and that was kind of the point for those. The rims are light and the tires are more focused to the 95% smooth highway/city I drive. I have a set of OEM rims that I plan to outfit for 'wheelin. Probably going to mimic the Prof and PlastiDip - the spacers will come off and I'll be putting 255/75's on them. I'll have 'tennis shoes and hiking boot' options.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I have to try to list all of this while I can still remember it. What I've done to it so far:

Front:
JBA Upper UCA's
LBJ's
JBA Coilovers
CV Joints - both sides
Drive Shaft

Rear:
Drive Shaft
JBA Springs
JBA Total Control Shocks
JBA 4Link
MOOG Problem Solver LCA's
3 Isolators (added 2 to driver side and 1 to passenger side)
New longer brake lines (4 Wheel Parts)
Rear Diff oil change - painted Diff cover
New Spare Tire Cover

Inside:
Kenwood KDC-X700 Stereo

Engine:
New Ignition Coils & Plugs
Oil & Air Filters - general maintenance stuff.

If it'll ever stop raining/snowing, I'll be able to get the clay bar to it. I also have some paint work that I'm going to see about getting done. Missing a pretty large chunk on the driver's side back door halfway up the window frame and there's some minor dents that could be pulled out. But after the hailstorms we've had, that wait could be 6 months or more.

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. The Triangulated 4 Link. Basically - Follow Tommudd's instructions . The one thing I'd add to that is that the Tri-Link nut that attaches the UCA balljoint is an 18mm.

I should have taken more pictures. For some reason though, when I'm wrenching, taking pictures is the last thing on my mind.

So - nothing on how to take the UCA off, but it's straight forward. You may need to widen the gap a bit where the ball joint attaches at the top of the Tri-Link to get that end to pop out. A bit of wrangling and it'll be completely out of there. 3 bolts. Quick. I used a breaker bar to separate the Tri Link a bit, then drove the bolt out and the UCA was free. I left the left/right bolts in (loosened) just so there'd be some control.

Jeep Balls!

Here's the OEM Tri Link

Putting the 4 Link in is straight forward. I cleaned my Diff up a bit with a wire brush and PB Blaster, then shot it with some brake cleaner

Another angle

The 4 Link... box just opened:

Note the two rod ends in the middle - the line at the bottom: Left Hand Threads.

You'll have to cut them. I thought I had to cut 1". Wasn't enough. For my 2.5" lift, I cut 1 1/4" off each end (2.5" total each rod/arm). You're going to want enough to be able to pull the pinion down by shortening the rods/arms by cranking on them (actually can do it without a wrench - it's easy). Shortening will pull it down, Lengthening will lift it up. You're going to have to have it parallel and lined with the transmission.

Here it is when I first got it in and remembered to take a picture. Still had adjusting to do.

The silver nuts on the arms are 28mm. BFCW (BF Crescent Wrench) for the middle one. I forget what the carriage bolts are on the 4 Link. Oh yeah - the Left Hand Threads go into the 4 Link. The others won't accept the carriage bolts. I had to sand off some powder coat to get them in. Get the rod end in and and then align the top carriage bolt, pull it out and go in from the bottom to get that aligned, then drop it back into the top again and then you'll get the bolt to thread.

That pretty much covers that. One of the easier jobs I've done on the Roller for sure.

Last edited:

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh - and save those packing cushions! Great head rest or to put down before you drop your body onto the potential pain points in the engine bay.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How'd I miss this? Great build!!! Looking forward to seeing what you do. Good write up too on the 4 link.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
On top of everything else, you also have the perfect color. :waytogo: