Preject Red Dawn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ish_master

Reaction score
Project Red Dawn

I needed a fun name for the Jeep, and I think that this is a good one. WOLVERINES!

The following is copied over from my introduction for me to keep track of.

I have decided to go with the tommudd OME 927/948 and Bilstein special (he should seriously get some kick backs from both companies). I decided to lift it as it's time for new springs/shocks, so why not have a little fun as well. This will be my first lift, so I am rather excited for this adventure.

Odometer is reading 66,770mi.
Current issues that I am facing on the KJ:
- Right rear axle seal has sprung a leak. I just noticed that while replacing my parking brake shoes. Timken bearings and seals and a LubeLocker gasket have already been ordered up. (might as well since I'll have her opened up.
- Horrendous noise/vibration coming from the front end. My guess (hope, least it be something more expensive) is that it's the intermediate shaft/CV connection. I jacked it up yesterday and heard some good crunching while checking the play on the passenger side CV. She's headed into the shop tomorrow morning to get some more info.
- While I was down there I decided to poke around (always a terrible choice), and I found that the driver's side TRE has some slop, so I ordered up new MOOG replacements (might as well do both, right?) from RA.

Recent Maintenance:
Transmission fluid/filter change - Just completed last night with LubeLocker gasket. No drips so far. Usual metal shavings on the magnet; no chunks.
Spark Plugs - Just completed three weeks ago. Pretty sure it was their first change. Largest gap was .074. It no longer sounds like a diesel.
Oil/filter change - Always Mobile1 Full synth 0-W30.

Future Maintenance:
U-joints - Spicers on hand just in case.
Wheel hub assemblies - Timkens on order just in case
Diffs and T-Case fluid changes.

I did leave out that I changed the squirrel cage in the HEVAC system. That was, hands down, the easiest maintenance I've ever performed.

Last edited:

ish_master

Reaction score
So... I got the KJ back from the dealership yesterday and they say the TC is shot... Along with needing a new front driveshaft. All to the tune of..... $3,775! LMAO Good luck with that. The plan now is to drain the fluid to see if anything falls out, and then maaaaaaybe open it up if I don't find anything wrong with the fluid. I've never opened one up before though, so I'm not too sure. Plenty of NP231J rebuild kits out there though, and the TC's case is solid. I also have a pretty good mechanic friend who likes beer. :-D

Shout out to LubeLocker's gaskets as I forget to put the magnet back in the first time I reinstalled the transmission pan... Doh! Fortunately it was before I refilled it, and the LubeLocker gasket was way easier than two applications of RTV. No drips yet!

ish_master

Reaction score
Drained the TC and the fluid looked perfect. Nothing in the fluid. Inspected the chain through the drain hole, and that also looked perfect. Technician at the dealership is full of...

Pulled the front drive shaft, and found the source of my problem. The CV joint on the TC side is shot. I pulled the boot off and it is just destroyed in there. New shaft on order.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drained the TC and the fluid looked perfect. Nothing in the fluid. Inspected the chain through the drain hole, and that also looked perfect. Technician at the dealership is full of...

Pulled the front drive shaft, and found the source of my problem. The CV joint on the TC side is shot. I pulled the boot off and it is just destroyed in there. New shaft on order.

Good thing you checked.

Dave

ish_master

Reaction score
Dave and Bert,

I'm definitely happy that I checked. After I install the new drive shaft, and if everything is still smooth, I will be going back to have a chat with the service writer.

All is smooth so far in my RWD KJ for now though. Haha, the part should get in in two weeks.

Shua

I added a photo just in case you all want to see what wrong looks like.

Attachments

• IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know you can buy a replacement cv joint for that instead of the whole shaft, right?

ish_master

Reaction score
You know you can buy a replacement cv joint for that instead of the whole shaft, right?

Yeah... It looks to be rather simple, too. I guess I was just so relieved that it wasn't going to be $3,775 that I was alright paying $450 for a whole new driveshaft. :gr_grin:

In retrospect I probably should have just replaced the CV joint as you suggested.

ish_master

Reaction score
Well... I'm not too sure if I'm going to need to do so. O'Reilly has a lifetime warranty on their remanned ones. So we'll see how well that works for me. They also have a sweet Dorman OE Solutions driveshaft that looks pretty incredible...

ish_master

Reaction score
I've never used Plasti Dip before, so I gave it a test run on the chrome grille. I am pleased with the results! Now we see how long it lasts.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes just replace the CV end of the driveshaft
remember those types of parts stores are good for wax , cleaning supplies and air fresheners, not much else even with lifetime warranty
Come to think of it, I won't even by wax there

ish_master

Reaction score
I promise to rebuild the CV if it fails again and the warranty is not what I'm hoping for. :gr_grin: I do sometimes forget that those parts store are not the greatest...

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can't you just cancel the order?
you can sink 420 towards other upgrades or replacement parts unless 500 is just chump change.

ish_master

Reaction score
Lol, y'all are incorrigible! $500 is definitely not chump change, and I really do appreciate the feedback and suggestions, but I'm going to let this one play out. If I don't get the warranty backing for the part that I'm hoping for, I will certainly issue a profuse apology. :gr_grin:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ ha ha.. Yup !
59808[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

:gr_grin:

Attachments

• Ga88UVp.jpg
    Ga88UVp.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
We all tried
12,000 years of experience on here and ...........................:emotions34:

:happy175::happy175:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, y'all are incorrigible! $500 is definitely not chump change, and I really do appreciate the feedback and suggestions, but I'm going to let this one play out. If I don't get the warranty backing for the part that I'm hoping for, I will certainly issue a profuse apology. :gr_grin:

Warranty does not pay you for your time, or the down time while waiting and there's 19 feet of snow you have to drive through to go buy beer. :gr_grin:

Latest posts

Members online