Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Members' Journals

Register to remove these ads.

Members' Journals

Preject Red Dawn

This is a discussion on Preject Red Dawn within the Members' Journals forums, part of the General Forums category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! I needed a fun name for the Jeep, and I think that this ...

The Members' Journals forum allows you to create your own personal thread, showing off your Liberty from the day you got it through each stage of your modifications and buildups while maintaining your personal wish list.

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Project Red Dawn

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I needed a fun name for the Jeep, and I think that this is a good one. WOLVERINES!

The following is copied over from my introduction for me to keep track of.

I have decided to go with the tommudd OME 927/948 and Bilstein special (he should seriously get some kick backs from both companies). I decided to lift it as it's time for new springs/shocks, so why not have a little fun as well. This will be my first lift, so I am rather excited for this adventure.

Odometer is reading 66,770mi.
Current issues that I am facing on the KJ:
- Right rear axle seal has sprung a leak. I just noticed that while replacing my parking brake shoes. Timken bearings and seals and a LubeLocker gasket have already been ordered up. (might as well since I'll have her opened up.
- Horrendous noise/vibration coming from the front end. My guess (hope, least it be something more expensive) is that it's the intermediate shaft/CV connection. I jacked it up yesterday and heard some good crunching while checking the play on the passenger side CV. She's headed into the shop tomorrow morning to get some more info.
- While I was down there I decided to poke around (always a terrible choice), and I found that the driver's side TRE has some slop, so I ordered up new MOOG replacements (might as well do both, right?) from RA.

Recent Maintenance:
Transmission fluid/filter change - Just completed last night with LubeLocker gasket. No drips so far. Usual metal shavings on the magnet; no chunks.
Spark Plugs - Just completed three weeks ago. Pretty sure it was their first change. Largest gap was .074. It no longer sounds like a diesel.
Oil/filter change - Always Mobile1 Full synth 0-W30.

Future Maintenance:
U-joints - Spicers on hand just in case.
Wheel hub assemblies - Timkens on order just in case
Diffs and T-Case fluid changes.

I did leave out that I changed the squirrel cage in the HEVAC system. That was, hands down, the easiest maintenance I've ever performed.

Last edited by ish_master; 07-28-2017 at 03:25 PM.
ish_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

So... I got the KJ back from the dealership yesterday and they say the TC is shot... Along with needing a new front driveshaft. All to the tune of..... $3,775! LMAO Good luck with that. The plan now is to drain the fluid to see if anything falls out, and then maaaaaaybe open it up if I don't find anything wrong with the fluid. I've never opened one up before though, so I'm not too sure. Plenty of NP231J rebuild kits out there though, and the TC's case is solid. I also have a pretty good mechanic friend who likes beer. :-D

Shout out to LubeLocker's gaskets as I forget to put the magnet back in the first time I reinstalled the transmission pan... Doh! Fortunately it was before I refilled it, and the LubeLocker gasket was way easier than two applications of RTV. No drips yet!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Drained the TC and the fluid looked perfect. Nothing in the fluid. Inspected the chain through the drain hole, and that also looked perfect. Technician at the dealership is full of...

Pulled the front drive shaft, and found the source of my problem. The CV joint on the TC side is shot. I pulled the boot off and it is just destroyed in there. New shaft on order.
Jo6pak and turblediesel like this.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Administrator

Originally Posted by ish_master View Post
Drained the TC and the fluid looked perfect. Nothing in the fluid. Inspected the chain through the drain hole, and that also looked perfect. Technician at the dealership is full of...

Pulled the front drive shaft, and found the source of my problem. The CV joint on the TC side is shot. I pulled the boot off and it is just destroyed in there. New shaft on order.
Good thing you checked.

Dave
ish_master likes this.

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Good thing you checked.

Dave
If one can, then they should, thankfully I can. I hate(strong word but fits) dealerships.

Bert
ish_master likes this.
boboborino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dave and Bert,

I'm definitely happy that I checked. After I install the new drive shaft, and if everything is still smooth, I will be going back to have a chat with the service writer.

All is smooth so far in my RWD KJ for now though. Haha, the part should get in in two weeks.

Shua

I added a photo just in case you all want to see what wrong looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2003.JPG (95.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by ish_master; 07-29-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 07-29-2017, 04:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Supporting Member

You know you can buy a replacement cv joint for that instead of the whole shaft, right?
Old 07-29-2017, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Leeann View Post
You know you can buy a replacement cv joint for that instead of the whole shaft, right?
Yeah... It looks to be rather simple, too. I guess I was just so relieved that it wasn't going to be $3,775 that I was alright paying $450 for a whole new driveshaft.

In retrospect I probably should have just replaced the CV joint as you suggested.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Get one, do the replacement and keep it as a spare.
turblediesel and ish_master like this.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Well... I'm not too sure if I'm going to need to do so. O'Reilly has a lifetime warranty on their remanned ones. So we'll see how well that works for me. They also have a sweet Dorman OE Solutions driveshaft that looks pretty incredible...