nullptr's 2005 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this thread will detail the progress and mods done to my 2005 Liberty Limited in my quest to get it where I want it. Sadly, due to some issues not entirely out of my control, progress is going to be slow until next year (2016).

First, let's start off with a little back story. A few years back, I traded in my trusty '93 Cherokee (2wd, but super clean) with 198k miles on it for a brand spanking new 2012 Chevrolet Colorado Crew-Cab, 4x4, with the 5.3L V8. It was black, with black leather interior, on the bigger Z71 wheels. I was in love.

Slowly, though, over the course of ownership, I came to realize that I dun goofed. My daily commute is only a few miles, so I wasn't putting a lot of miles on the truck, and I rarely actually used it as a truck (twice, that I can think of). Worst of all, I take one or two cross-country trips a year to visit my family in Michigan. This involves loading a 65lb mutt into whatever vehicle I have, plus all my stuff, and hitting the road. The truck... wasn't so good for this. The dog didn't really fit, and once she was in, all my cloths and stuff had to go in the bed. Also, the truck was rated at 18/22, which it never got. I was lucky if I saw 12 city, and 16 highway! It was decent off-road, though.

Last fall(2014), I decided that my parent's needed a 'new' car. By new, I mean something newer than a '97 Chevy Venture with 250k miles, a bad transmission, no heat or AC, and an electrical fault that required you to disconnect the battery everywhere you went. I wanted to get them something reliable and that got good gas mileage that they could load up with the dogs and drive to Florida. In the end, I ended up finding an '06 Rav4 with 82k miles that fit the bill and budget. Since I was driving it to Michigan for Christmas, I transferred the plates from the truck to the Rav4.

This turned out to be a mistake.

For the month and a half I drove it, I fell in love with little CUV's utility and interior space. So the thought was planted, and over time, I started looking at what was available. The Rav4 was nice, but I wanted a true low-range transfer case. So that narrowed things down somewhat. I also decided that it had to shorter, length wise, than the truck so I could fit it in the garage. Very quickly the CRD Liberty rose to the top of my list, and I started shopping.

After many disappointments, I expanded my search to include non-CRD Liberties. Sure, the MPGs would have been nice, but my short commute wouldn't have been good for it, and the CRDs are more difficult to find parts for. Still, I wasn't finding much that really excited me. One that I really wanted to like ended up having some serious issues during the test drive once we got over 55mph (it was a white-knuckle ride!), and the dealership was not interested in fixing the problem before sale or budging on their price, so I walked.

On January 4th, 2014, I drove 90 miles south to take a look at a 2005 Limited, in Silver, with 76k miles on it. It had the Selec-Trac transfer case, a sunroof, and leather seats. All things I wanted.

Test test drive went well, and I was pretty happy with the price. The dealership was ecstatic over my trade, and actually offered me more than I owed on it. So, after filling out several trees worth of documentation, I began the long trip home in my new Jeep.

The next weekend, the radiator started leaking. :blah:

As of this post (03/29/2015), I've done some simple maintenance and upgrades:
  • Bosch Wipers
  • O'Reilly's AGM Battery
  • Mobile One oil change
  • New spark plugs
  • New air filter
  • New PCV
  • Transmission Flush and Filter
  • Power Steering Flush
  • New Upper and Lower front ball joints
  • New Radiator and hoses
  • New rear glass release microswitch
  • New rear door latch
  • Weathertech floor mats
  • Jeep cargo mat
  • Pioneer AppRadio3 install
  • In-channel window ventshades
  • 'Jeep Liberty' tire cover

Still, so far, I've been impressed. It runs great, and is honestly pretty spirited around town. The gas mileage has been better, by far, than the old truck. I'm also very pleased with how it handles at low speeds, the turning radius on this thing is great for tight parking lots and off road trails.

Now, on to some pictures! Here we have the day I brought her home. It started to rain halfway home, of course, and the old wipers were utterly useless. :emotions34:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's where she sits as of today. I've replaced the old window ventshades with some in-channel units. The old ones were crooked as hell, and the passenger side ones were mounted way too high. They were a real pain to get off. :favorites68:

Got my AppRadio3 installed, too!

The Jeep branded cargo cover was cheaper than the Weathertech one, and honestly, nicer.

My nice, clean engine bay...

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks nice! :waytogo:

I was looking at the Weathertech liner for the back but I like the look of your Jeep one a lot. :)

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks in great shape, and a score with 76,000 miles!

Thanks! I'm quite happy with it, even if it did immediately require a radiator and ball joints. But what can you expect at 10 years old?

Looks nice! :waytogo:

I was looking at the Weathertech liner for the back but I like the look of your Jeep one a lot. :)

Me too! I got it at the dealer, cost was the same as the Weathertech, but it has little 'hatches' for the cargo tie-downs and says 'Jeep' on it. :icon_lol:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started, finally, replacing the 'blown' speakers.

Turns out they weren't blown, and someone at some point had 'upgraded' the stereo.

If you count replacing the front midrange speakers with Dual 6.5" 50w RMS speakers an upgrade over the stock Infinity units, sure. Sadly, they really botched the install, didn't use proper speaker adapters and while they did hook up the Infinity amps, they didn't actually secure the amps in the door, so the connectors on the Duals ended up supporting the weight of the amps and got pretty beat up.

Stock rears looked OK, but got binned anyway.

So far I've managed to run 8ga wire for amp power through the firewall to under the driver's seat, ran 8ga ground from the ground panel under the dash to under the driver's seat, mounted the cross overs on the inside of the knee panel under the steering wheel, and ran new wire from that location to the driver's side speaker in the door.

That was a pain in the ass. The rear doors look like they'll be easier, but I'm dreading the passenger side. :icon_frown:

Oh well. Hopefully the remainder of the parts will arrive this week and I can finish this weekend. What I've done so far constitutes about 8 hours of work. Going pretty slow, trying to make sure I do it right. So far, no major 'oh crap' moments.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Jeep.

Dave

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled out the center console today, as the plan was to run the inputs and outputs of the amplifier down that route, since the power lines run along the door sills.

I did not realize there was an AC duct in there! Looks like the foam gasket at the head had degraded completely, so hardly any air is going through it. Easy fix!

Sadly there was no hidden treasures, surprisingly, not even a mummified McDonald's french fry. Was hoping to make a few cents for the vending machine at work. :shrug:

Then I started taking a closer look at things...

What do you guys think?

attachment.php

But then either pull that AC line, or cut it back to allow it to blow -over- the amp and...

attachment.php

Looks like it'd be pretty accessible by just popping the storage bin out, this would get it up off the 'floor' and away from wet feet and muck. Would only really have to worry about someone spilling a drink in there, but I think I could do some trickery with some plastic to handle that possibility. The amp is actually a KAC-M3004, so it's an 'all uses' unit designed for automotive, marine, and motorcycle use. I didn't realize that when I ordered it, just that it was small, fit my 60w RMSx4 speakers exactly, and was in-stock. :happy175:

Attachments

• insides.jpg
    insides.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Amplifier.jpg
    Amplifier.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 103

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big of a pain was it to pull the console?

Quite simple. There are 4 screws holding it in, really. Two at the bottom of the storage cubby, one beneath the shifter trim, one beneath the 4x4 boot.

Make sure to pop the trim panel on the backside where the rear window controls are so you can disconnect the wiring harness. It just clips in place.

To remove the shifter trim, just pull the cup holders out (it's a rubber insert, pops right out) then pop the trim piece up and disconnect the wiring harness. The 4x4 boot is clipped in three places, at the front and on the sides. Once it's unclipped, there is a snap at the top that, when undone, lets it slide up over the handle.

Once the screws were out, I just pulled both the parking brake and 4x4 lever full up and pulled the entire console back and up. A little bit of wiggling and it was free and clear.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished the speakers/amp install... at 2am. :blah:

Seriously running new speaker wire is a huge pain and you should probably pay someone to do it unless you enjoy that kind of thing. At least I've now taken apart just about everything inside the Jeep and can say without a doubt that my floorboards are pristine. :icon_lol:

I know in all the previous posts I was posting strange places to stick my amp. Well, I ended up seeing the light and it now resides comfortably under the driver's side rear seat. That seat was a pain in the butt, I thought it was just one piece, but it turned out to be two seats bolted together in one spot.

At which I accidentally bent it.

Thankfully a little persuasion with a scrap piece of 2x4 and a pry bar fixed that problem and the seat is back in and working fine.

Here's one of the front speakers installed. Ended up having to use the 6.5" adapter spacer that it came with plus a universal 7" speaker adapter. Spaced things out perfectly and let me use the stock holes, I sealed up the two holes the previous owner drilled into the door to mount the old Duals. :blah:

As for the tweeters, I got creative.

As you can see, I cut off the magnets from the stock 3.5" speakers and bent the tabs in a bit. The tweeter actually sat nicely on the lip inside the speaker housing, and once I bent those tabs in, it formed a kind of bucket for it.

A bunch of hot glue ensured these things aren't going anywhere.

And here they are done. Dropped right in and fit nicely under the dash panel. :party52:

Once I had the stereo re-installed, though, all I was getting was static. After some trouble-shooting it turned out that the antenna adapter had gone bad. I was bummed until I realized that, for some reason, I had an extra one that I received in my last shipment from Sonic Electronix. I don't remember ordering it, but it certainly saved the day!

Now I just need to get some more solder so I can finish converting the cigarette lighter to a dual USB port, and hard-wire the dash cam to the vehicle power.

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished my 'summer' vacation this morning, 19 hour drive from Michigan to Florida.

The dog enjoyed the room in the Liberty.

Pics and video of my offroad misadventures will be coming in a day or so.

But for now, here's some pics of my new car! It needs a little work...

She's been parked in the garage since I was 6, I'm 36 now, so that's 30 years of dust on her. My dad used to drag-race her when he was younger, after purchasing her off a Pontiac executive who was dumping it because his wife was afraid of it. The story goes that she's actually an ex-Pontiac test mule car, and is equipped with engine options (heads, primarily) that are from a later model GTO (Supposed to be Ram Air heads, not sure if III or IV).

Plans... well, first of all, get a garage big enough. Secondly? Full frame-off restoration. Going to go back to Factory color (Signet Gold Metallic I think, with a black vinyl roof), rebuild the 400ci (6.5L!) with some modern parts (fuel injection is possible, as is electronic ignition with individual coils per plug). I'm also going to look into power brakes, electric power steering, and a hydraulically assisted clutch as the stock one is off a pickup and requires Hulk level leg muscles. Dad wants one more go on the quarter mile, and I'm planning on giving it to him.

Yes, that's a Hurst 4-speed shifter on there. :gr_grin:

Last edited:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tri-City drag way??? Too bad that place doesn't exist anymore from what I've been told

Yeah, I think it's a subdivision now. :shrug:

Wait a minute...

I grew up in Montrose, MI! And... damn, you were in 1st grade when I was graduating. Man I feel old now. :happy175: