Building for the Wife...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy all. My wife and I recently bought a 2005 KJ sport. This will be her car as I own a 200 XJ. I admit, I was one of those guys who bagged on the KJ for not being a 'real jeep' whilst driving my XJ. I have changed my mind - mostly because what qualifies as a real jeep is quite subjective (is it the original from WWII, and even then, there were 3 manufactures so which one is the real one?) and while I prefer my two solid axles, I lament my lack of body on frame. Sacrifices have been made thru out the history of the jeep, either for sales, regulations, or corporate management. I am happy with my XJ, and I was pleasantly surprised by the KJ. This vehicle will be her daily driver and we will take it on very mild trails. The harder stuff we'll save for my XJ.

I have a list of upgrades and modifications that I am wanting to do for this KJ, and they are as follows in a vague "do this before that" kinda order:

replace broken passenger mirror - DONE
add EVIC - DONE
add TPMS - DONE
replace steel wheels with factory alloy - DONE
spare tire cover - DONE
nav radio upgrade - DONE
upgrade seats to power - DONE
install footwell courtesy lamps - DONE
install factory CD changer - DONE
add fog lights - DONE
add mudflaps - in progress
replace window, lock and mirror switches with illuminated ones- in progress
replace cracked tail light drivers side - in progress
replace sport trim with limited trim - in progress
upgrade to HD Cooling - in progress
install towing wiring harness - in progress
install steering wheel radio controls - in progress
add rock rails
add skids
add tow hooks

REPLACE leaking PS pump and lines

I'm sure that isn't a full list, but I'll update as I progress.

I welcome all constructive suggestions. I am a member on several Facebook jeep groups, so if I want a troll, I'll go there - thanks. I have so far found some good info here. My only issue is that I cant open any page in this forum from Chrome on my Android phone. It redirects me to a fake virus page. Because of this, I can only do updates when I'm at a computer - which isn't as often as it used to be.

Thanks in advance to anyone with help and constructive suggestions!
Tim

Last edited:

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In fact, I can already mark the EVIC off the list!

Using the help from the 40 pages of submissions on a thread here, and a thread I found on lostjeeps, I finished installing this two days ago. Having added an overhead console to my XJ, I had some ideas about what I needed to do. My main issue here was my available selection. I could not find any EVIC from a 2005+. I settled with an '04, but now I have to deal with the odd-ball TPMS, because of course the unit I pulled was TPMS enabled. And being an '04, doesn't have the self calibrating sensors. I think I have a line on the upgraded rims w/ tires that already have the '04 TPMS installed. If so, I can get them for less than $200, which considering that is what those sensors cost new, I'm basically getting 5 free rims. But that is a big if, and for another day

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use tapatalk on your phone.

I'd suggest also upgrading to the HD cooling as well if it doesn't have any.

TPMS?? move along...

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I already have too many apps on my phone. I'm not gonna install this app, just to use this site. Yes, I know its used by many forums - and I have tried using the app, but I am not a fan of the interface. Besides - the app or not the app isn't the issue, its the fact that I get redirected to a fake virus page trying to extort money. Chrome has extensions on the desktop that will block that - Chrome on android and iOS do not. So - I'll just stick to the desktop updates. Its annoying, and off-putting (I imagine some people see this happen and just never return because of this). I'm slightly more persistent than the average bear.

I have the build sheet, and no it doesn't. Do the KJs have any know overheating or heat soak issues - like I have had to deal with on my XJ? My biggest annoyance is the lack of temperature deliniations on the gague. Its only slightly better than an idiot light. I do have a scantool and I have run it several times to see what the average operating temp is and so far, its between 200º and 210º. I've been assuming that is an OK temperature. Is that too high?

TPMS?? move along...

Are you telling me to move along because I am interested in getting the TPMS installed or are you telling me to move along from getting the TPMS working? If its the former - thanks for being a dick. If its the later, then to each their own... and in this case, since its part of the EVIC, I have the choice of the nag screen or getting the sensors every 7 years or so. And - most importantly, the boss wants it working. Either way - if you have nothing but shade to throw on this, then I kindly ask that you move along. Was kinda hoping to avoid this type of garbage on this forum... :thumbsdown:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
KJs don't have the overheating issues XJs have for sure...I went through that stuff with my XJ and check the forums a lot. Those temps are normal. I even thing it's normal to go above 210.

I'd add the mechanical fan just to get cooler AC. You don't need need it though.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJs don't have the overheating issues XJs have for sure...I went through that stuff with my XJ and check the forums a lot. Those temps are normal. I even thing it's normal to go above 210.

I'd add the mechanical fan just to get cooler AC. You don't need need it though.

My 2000 XJ is the one with the head that is prone to crack between cylinders 3 & 4... so far (180k+ miles) and its good. But I watch that temp gauge like a hawk! Good to hear that I needn't worry about overheating issues and that my temps are good.

The mechanical fan is similar to the one on the XJ? has the fluid clutch that spins different rpms based on load and temperature? I'll look into it... I prefer the mechanical fan to the replacement all electric setups that XJ guys preach about so I'm definitely interested.

Thanks for the info!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, the mech fan is overall like the XJ in concept. Just locks on more based on engine temps. Purely mechanical. The KJs is driven off the water pump instead of separate pulley like the XJ. The KJ just uses one 36mm nut to hold it on...I think it's easier to work with than the 4 nut XJ setup.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete parts list for adding a mech fan?

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score

TPMS?? move along...

Are you telling me to move along because I am interested in getting the TPMS installed or are you telling me to move along from getting the TPMS working? If its the former - thanks for being a dick. If its the later, then to each their own... and in this case, since its part of the EVIC, I have the choice of the nag screen or getting the sensors every 7 years or so. And - most importantly, the boss wants it working. Either way - if you have nothing but shade to throw on this, then I kindly ask that you move along. Was kinda hoping to avoid this type of garbage on this forum... :thumbsdown:

I read it as ***** the TPMS, and I agree. He gives you advice which you asked for, and you come off being a dick, because you don't like the advice. Anything that you were trying to avoid, including my post, you have only yourself to blame. Good luck

Bert

EDIT: If you want to clean up this thread then Edit or erase your post and I will delete mine

Bert

Last edited:

JKJ STAFF

Mod Squad
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's calm down....attacks over TPMS are kind of silly. Argue about something meaningful....like oil filters or something. :D

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the mech fan is overall like the XJ in concept. Just locks on more based on engine temps. Purely mechanical. The KJs is driven off the water pump instead of separate pulley like the XJ. The KJ just uses one 36mm nut to hold it on...I think it's easier to work with than the 4 nut XJ setup.

HJ: I just found out from emailing hayden that their clutch fans lock around the specified 170F. It is the % of shaft speed that clutch fan spin that is the difference.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone calm down, this is a good thread and good people.

Dave

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the $300 worth it? Seems kinda spendy unless its addressing a specific need/resolving a specific issue or failure. Asked and answered that 200-210 is ok - any other input regarding that temperature? I plan on only very mild trail riding and maybe light towing (less than 2k lbs.). I'm more than willing to spend $300 for preventative measures, but not willing to spend it if its unwarranted.

Regarding 'cleaning it up'... I stated in my OP that if I wanted troll posts, I could go to Facebook. I appreciate any and all constructive thoughts, ideas and suggestions. When I see a post with a short, rude and unhelpful response, I see a troll response. If there is a reason why I should or should not do something - please explain it, for my benefit AND for the benefit of any and all who may come across this thread. Short non-answers help nobody, which in the end - help - is what we should be all about.

of course, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a different note:

Went to the JY today and got 5 alloy rims, with the correct TPMS sensors installed. I was charged $185 for the set of 5. The rims are the darker color that look like they have ribs on the outside of the 5 spokes. I'll post a picture tonight or tomorrow because I don't think I'm describing them right, and they look nice. They are very close to the color of the gray plastic fender and bumper trim so it will match well. I took them off of the Canadian KJ that I found in the yard.

With that being a Canadian KJ, I also took the Daytime Running Light relay out. Does anyone know for sure if I have to have the computer programmed to think its in Canada? My wife drives with the lights on, but the problem is that in bright daylight, she cant see the EVIC or the radio displays. The best way that I can think of is to use the DRL system so that she has lights on, but didn't turn them on and consequently dimmed her dash light. I have also heard of people wiring fog lights to do the same thing, but of course, not the OEM ones. Fog lights are on the list to get, but further down the road. Any constructive thoughts or ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost forgot:

I had ordered a heated replacement passenger mirror from Amazon and it came in Friday and I installed it. it was $27 (JY wanted $30) and it installed super easy. I can't tell its not OE, and when I told the JY that I could get new on Amazon for less than he wanted for used, his response was "well, its not OE".... which is 100% true. But the OE is what broke in the first place so I think I'll take the chance on a new, non-OE one. Assuming it goes ok for a little while, I will probably change the drivers side to heated as well. We don't get too many ice storms here in Colorado, but this past winter, it seemed as though that's all we got for 2 months and nothing ***** more than scraping ice off at 2am or 7am (I work overnights and she works early mornings).

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
HJ: I just found out from emailing hayden that their clutch fans lock around the specified 170F. It is the % of shaft speed that clutch fan spin that is the difference.

Thanks! I've always been wondering that. I can't decide if when I eventually replace my clutch which one I'll get. It just gets so cold here and not all that warm, so probably the stock one again.

So is the $300 worth it? Seems kinda spendy unless its addressing a specific need/resolving a specific issue or failure. Asked and answered that 200-210 is ok - any other input regarding that temperature? I plan on only very mild trail riding and maybe light towing (less than 2k lbs.). I'm more than willing to spend $300 for preventative measures, but not willing to spend it if its unwarranted.

I'd get it, or just get the stuff from the junkyard. Not hard to find. I've wheeled with people with it and without, once the radiator gets crudded up, the extra fan helps. One trip it was about 70-80 degrees out, high humidity, I was blasting the AC, no issues. Another guy had just the efan and couldn't run AC without getting warm. Maybe he had something else wrong, but I think $300 is a good deal.

For a DD Jeep, you don't need it, but I think there's a reason why Jeep added it on tow package and off road package ones.
on a different note:

With that being a Canadian KJ, I also took the Daytime Running Light relay out. Does anyone know for sure if I have to have the computer programmed to think its in Canada? My wife drives with the lights on, but the problem is that in bright daylight, she cant see the EVIC or the radio displays. The best way that I can think of is to use the DRL system so that she has lights on, but didn't turn them on and consequently dimmed her dash light. I have also heard of people wiring fog lights to do the same thing, but of course, not the OEM ones. Fog lights are on the list to get, but further down the road. Any constructive thoughts or ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.

I think it can be programmed. But can't you just use the dimmer switch to control the brightness?

Almost forgot:

I had ordered a heated replacement passenger mirror from Amazon and it came in Friday and I installed it. it was $27 (JY wanted $30) and it installed super easy. I can't tell its not OE, and when I told the JY that I could get new on Amazon for less than he wanted for used, his response was "well, its not OE".... which is 100% true. But the OE is what broke in the first place so I think I'll take the chance on a new, non-OE one. Assuming it goes ok for a little while, I will probably change the drivers side to heated as well. We don't get too many ice storms here in Colorado, but this past winter, it seemed as though that's all we got for 2 months and nothing ***** more than scraping ice off at 2am or 7am (I work overnights and she works early mornings).

Heated mirrors are nice...it's shocking which KJs got them and which didn't. Mine, originally shipped and sold in southern Florida, has them but yet most northern ones didn't!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heated mirrors are nice...it's shocking which KJs got them and which didn't. Mine, originally shipped and sold in southern Florida, has them but yet most northern ones didn't!

Yours is a Ltd and so is mine (mine is a Northern one) and I also have heated mirrors. I thought it might have something to do with it being a Ltd model....?????

Dave

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get it, or just get the stuff from the junkyard. Not hard to find. I've wheeled with people with it and without, once the radiator gets crudded up, the extra fan helps. One trip it was about 70-80 degrees out, high humidity, I was blasting the AC, no issues. Another guy had just the efan and couldn't run AC without getting warm. Maybe he had something else wrong, but I think $300 is a good deal. For a DD Jeep, you don't need it, but I think there's a reason why Jeep added it on tow package and off road package ones.

OK - sounds good. Better to have it and not need it than need it and overheat in the middle of nowhere right? I'll add that to my list - and start keeping an eye out for JY finds.

on a side note - I just assumed that this liberty had towing capabilities - but after reading some educating threads, looks like I just have the hitch to prevent a 'pinto-like' experience in a rear collision recall install. I should have looked for the wires as well, but just stopped when I saw the hitch. Perhaps I'll get the wiring harness at some point, but with my XJ being fully outfitted for towing, its clearly not a priority.

I think it can be programmed. But can't you just use the dimmer switch to control the brightness?

at night you can... but when you turn the lights on, it dims the accessory lights down to like 60% brightness, and then the dimmer will adjust from 60% down to 10% (I'm not sure on the brightness levels - just using those numbers for illustrative purposes). When the lights are off, the brightness is at 100%, but there is a gap between the daytime no-lights-on brightness, and lights on with dimmer-turned-on-full brightness. Its not as apparent in the radio, but its VERY apparent in the EVIC. Turn the lights on, with the dimmer brightness up all the way, and its quite hard to see the EVIC in bright sunshine.

You'd think it would be regional - but as stated by Dave - its all trim level dependent. Us poor people up north can't afford the Limited trims so we scour the JY or ebay for upgrades!:happy175: At least its not as bad as with the XJ - there were 3 or 4 trim levels, but that didn't really matter as you could have added basically all the limited stuff to a sport. One of the few regional things I believe the XJ had, and not sure about the KJ or KK, is a electric engine block warmer. My XJ was originally from Alaska and it was installed as part of the "Alaska Delivery Group" package as per my build sheet. Don't know if such options were available for the KJ or KK though.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^There might have been an option on the KJ for a block heater.......not sure. If so, they were probably ordered by dealers in Alaska or Canada probably. I am in Upstate NY not far from Canada and it gets good and cold here and we can get plenty of snow. Never saw one here but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online