Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Members' Journals

Members' Journals

The Adventures of Gary

This is a discussion on The Adventures of Gary within the Members' Journals forums, part of the General Forums category!

The Members' Journals forum allows you to create your own personal thread, showing off your Liberty from the day you got it through each stage of your modifications and buildups while maintaining your personal wish list.

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The Adventures of Gary

Just noticed this section...so decided I should start my own journal for my weekend adventures. I hope to have a LOT of them!

6/21/2014
This past weekend, I had made Friday night/last-minute decision (my usual style of planning) to scout out a new area for some future campsites in the back-country of Northern Utah. I have never been through the area, even on the paved highways, let alone the miles and miles of dirt roads that wander through the wilderness and mountains, but I know I wanted to do some camping up in the cool air during the summer, and save the west desert and southern Utah park areas for the fall and winter.

My plan was to leave no later than 0900 on Saturday and make an entire day of it, but Saturday didn't quite work out a planned. I got a call from my son and he decided he wanted to tag along...but wouldn't be available until around noon or later. I decided we needed some time together as we don't get very much these days...so it was a modified trip, and quite a bit shorter than originally intended...but worth it.

I'll do a true "trip report" when I actually go up and spend some more time (overnight) and explore the area.
But for now...Here's a MAP OF OUR ROUTE, and a couple pics... I didn't shoot much at all, but we DID see a lot of this...

...and lots of these...

...and meadows full of wildflowers which smelled so good...nature's perfume...

...and a little bit of this...

You get the idea... Beautiful country! Temperature was a PERFECT 61F around the Baldy Peak area. Nice drive while spending much needed time with my son.
Dave, yellocoyote, Jo6pak and 6 others like this.

'04 Renegade
CobraNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Awesome trip/pics.

Dave
CobraNutt likes this.

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Willard Peak - 4th of July 2014

Took a little trip up to Willard Peak on the 4th to watch the fireworks from up above the city. I had never been on this road before, and I see myself going back again very soon! Well...as soon as I figure out the trans temperature issue I had going on...but that's another story...

The road up to the peak is a pretty easy drive. One of the guys at the top said he saw a convertible Mustang up there last summer! (poor car!!) It's bumpy and rocky, but not bad at all with a little clearance. My GT wouldn't have made it 20 feet off the pavement! We made a couple stops along the way...to let my trans cool a bit and to take in some scenery.

You can see for miles and miles! Such great views all the way up!

It's a dusty trail, but well worth the run! I was hitting bumps and watching clumps of dust/dirt slide down my windshield...reminded me of the PET...but it didn't stop me from taking pics while we mosey along!

Stopped at the sign to take a look around...and cool the Liberty trans again...Grrrrr....

Beautiful country...and it was getting nice and cool as we climbed! Bonus!

Sun was going down....almost to the top!

Found a couple spaces among the crowd (way more then I had anticipated!!) at the top and settled in for the fireworks down below...

Even without fireworks, the views are impressive!!

I can't wait to go back and hit up some of the campgrounds we saw along the way!
Dave, yellocoyote, al7fi and 9 others like this.

'04 Renegade
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

You're a very good photographer, Gary! Thanks for the pics and stories

Bob
CobraNutt and Kj/toy like this.
  • JBA front coilovers, 948 OME Rears w/ Bilsteins, JBA Gen 4.5 A-arms
  • Moabs with 265/70-16 Goodyear Duratracs
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
You're a very good photographer, Gary! Thanks for the pics and stories
Bob
You're too kind, Bob! I'm very much an amateur behind the lens, but it gets me out of the house and it's fun! I'm just glad people enjoy my shots!

'04 Renegade
Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Administrator

Awesome - trip and photos!
CobraNutt likes this.
yellocoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Great stuff, Gary! I look forward to more of the same.
CobraNutt likes this.

927/948 OME Springs*Bilstein Shocks*JBA Upper Control Arms*General Grabber AT2 255-70-16*Rage Black Widow Roof Rack*Viper 3606V Alarm System
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Administrator

Beautiful country and pics.

Dave
CobraNutt likes this.

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Currant Creek Reservoir - Wolf Creek Campsites

Saturday, I took off for a day-long trip to scout out some new camping areas that I might want to drag my trailer to. I started out at Strawberry Reservoir and followed dirt roads over three mountain passes and had a very enjoyable drive. Here's the PRIMARY ROUTE info.

Lots of beautiful country up there, and the temperature was in the low 70's...perfect!

An old, but still in use (kinda) barn near Currant Creek. It's open range area, so the local cattle use it for shelter now and then.

I don't like shooting mid-day...but sometimes I just have no choice.

Currant Creek Reservoir...20 second exposure with a 10-stop filter...not bad...

A stare-down with one of the locals...I call him Tripod. lol!

From Currant Creek, I ventured over a couple valleys to an area I've been a couple times before. There's a small pond and campsite, and I've thought about camping there. Yesterday, the mosquitoes were HORRIBLE!! So I think that may be a spot for cold weather camping. But...I did see a little friend on my way by!

From there, I took a little jeep trail down to a place called Heart Lake. Nice little ride! I had my GoPro on the Jeep and caught a young elk buck running off through the foliage in my way to the lake. I'll get it on YouTube later and embed it here.

The sun was going down, so I hustled back up to the ridge to catch the sunset. I caught a glimpse of this little guy before he headed over the ridgeline...

I wanted to get some better shots of him, but the sun was going down fast, so I had to get over to the area I had i mind to catch it from...I made it...and I was not disappointed...

Quite possibly my favorite shot of the day...

Oh...and then the moon made an appearance a few minutes later as I was packing up my gear. It was cloudy and I didn't think I'd get to see it before I had to head back home...but alas...

I decided to see if I could catch some detail. I failed to adjust my ISO correctly (DOH!!) ,so not at good as I had hoped. Oh well.

Until Next time....

'04 Renegade
Old 07-21-2014, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Another weekend, another adventure!
Well...not really...I just drove to one of the same areas as last
week, but I dragged the trailer along and spent a night this time.

After exploring a few new areas on my way up the hill, I finally arrived
at my camp site about 8:15 Friday night. Altitude of 9880 ft...temperature of 53 degrees...PERFECT!
Quick setup of my home for the evening, and time to relax!

The view from the "rear deck"...

The Welcoming Committee sent this little guy to check on me.

Just in time to enjoy the sunset through the trees.

Decided I was hungry, and the Pudgie Pies were calling, so it was time to get my fire going.

After I was well fed, I simply sat and enjoyed being outside...the cool breeze...fresh air...camp fire...sounds of the forest...

...did I mention Fire?!

After a good night's sleep, I awoke and headed out exploring some of the area a bit.
Didn't see wildlife like I was hoping (They were all down over the ridge at the lake),
so I found other stuff to shoot.

This beast of a fly decided it liked my shoe...

Hey Look!! A Plane!

I did some more exploring, but I've shot most of it already before, so I won't bore you with the same old stuff.

This little gal wandered through camp in the evening just as I was preparing to head
over to a different area to catch the sunset before heading home.

...and then the sun set...

Smoke from fires in Idaho and Oregon have drifted across our skies here, making for some spectacular color!

Last glimpse...

Then the Farewell Committee sent this guy to see me off...

Homeward bound after another fine couple of days in the Uinta's!

'04 Renegade

Last edited by CobraNutt; 07-21-2014 at 03:09 AM.