Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > General Forums > Members' Journals

Members' Journals

2004 Jeep Liberty Sport - Light Khaki Metallic

This is a discussion on 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport - Light Khaki Metallic within the Members' Journals forums, part of the General Forums category!
Hi Jeepers. My name is Brad. I sent the paperwork in today on a 2004 Jeep Liberty in New Jersey. ...

The Members' Journals forum allows you to create your own personal thread, showing off your Liberty from the day you got it through each stage of your modifications and buildups while maintaining your personal wish list.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport - Light Khaki Metallic

Hi Jeepers. My name is Brad. I sent the paperwork in today on a 2004 Jeep Liberty in New Jersey. I'm in Texas and searched far and wide to find a nice, one-owner, low-mile Liberty to have a little fun with.

The owner claims it's a Rocky Mountain Edition and from the looks of it, it's the Command-Trac Automatic version with the NV231. Perfect...

This is my sixth Jeep. My first car was an '81 4-cyl CJ-7. I've loved the 4x4 and Jeep life ever since. I've had three (3) ZJ 4WDs and one (1) WJ 2WD. This is my first Liberty and second 4WD in a row. I was living the low-life for a while but I'm back in a Jeep...

TOMMUDD has been helping me ditch my "performance" effort in return for piecing together a nice lift from jeepinbyal. I pulled the trigger on some OME coils and Bilstein shocks all round. I bought some cheap ATs to break in and plan on putting the right gears and a TrueTrac in the back to complement my driving style. I love the heavy stuff, but this is my DD and I like to get off-road. I do want to get home and back to work on Monday, you know?

I'll be posting some pictures from my drive from NJ to TX this weekend. I'm a photographer but right now I've only got the camera phone to work with. My last rig was at the end of it's life and I liquidated to my partner last summer and took a break from the business for a while.

I think some under the chassis armor will be in order and some lights on the front for visibility but this is going to be my little sleeper for a while. I just want her to look good and make it home safe and sound.
Dave likes this.

Last edited by angelis_digital; 05-06-2017 at 10:21 AM.
angelis_digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Welcome Brad.

You found the right place/people for KJ info and help.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Dave. I sure did. This isn't my first rodeo. I learned a couple of years back the best place to find out about what works and what doesn't is from owners, not the shops...
turblediesel likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

What a drive! I'm back in Spring. I don't have any pictures. The Interstate wasn't as picturesque as I had imagined and the part I imagined would be was dark as I was driving through. I'm going to skip posting a stock Liberty and wait for the lift the be installed this week. I'm pretty excited about that.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by angelis_digital View Post
What a drive! I'm back in Spring. I don't have any pictures. The Interstate wasn't as picturesque as I had imagined and the part I imagined would be was dark as I was driving through. I'm going to skip posting a stock Liberty and wait for the lift the be installed this week. I'm pretty excited about that.
Just post a good before/after.
2006 Jeep Liberty: Jeepin' By Al's Adjust-A-Struts on the front, Al's Upper A-arms, 1 extra upper iso in the rear on each side, OME948 H/D Rear Springs with OME132L Rear Long Travel Shocks, 4:10's, Duratrac 245-75-16's.
wheeee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

https://ibb.co/fGZJLk - let me know if this works. I can't get it to work for me and I've tried three different upload sites...:\

That's a good before shot. Somewhere in Virginia, about halfway through, at a rest stop.

Let's talk about the drive...I don't want to bore you with the details, but I've had a lot of cars and been in the car business, so I have driven more than I've owned.

Overall, stock, the 2004 Jeep Liberty has ample power and is geared well for the stock tire size; 215/70 R16. Most of the highway I was travelling was Interstate, so I was travelling between 70-75 MPH. Even with the air on, the Jeep maintained well except on the steep hills. I can see how gearing to 4.10 with the lift and tires will help the Jeep. IMHO, the Jeep is geared a little low, but well for 65-70MPH travelling in country like LA or TX where it is flat.

I got between 19 and 22 MPG on the highway, unloaded on all grades of gasoline from 87 to 93. The Jeep runs best on Chevron which I got once I was back in the South. 87 is plenty. I had some "rough" running from the motor while I was out East. I suspected the Jeep needed a tuneup since I had just bought it, but it smoothed out after two, half tanks of Supreme spread out over 500 miles and the Chevron Regular Unleaded once I hit Louisiana. The Jeep runs really well and smooth now at 55K miles.

The transmission is smooth. I kicked off over drive a couple of times to pass big trucks on the uphills but other than that, I'm pleased with the low gearing of the transmission, running between 2000 and 2250 while on the Interstate. The low-end torque is great.

I was empty most of the time and ran with between a full and 1/4 full tank of gas. I travelled alone.

The road noise was minimal with the stock tires and I can really say much about the air conditioning as the weather was so nice I ran most of the day with all of the windows down. The rear windows roll all the way down which is nice for the trail and nice for the dog who loves riding almost as much as I do.

The seating position took some getting used to. Compared to other vehicles, I found it high but after adjusting to the short wheelbase of the Jeep I found the position comfortable and gave me a great view of outside. The steering wheel is also a nice size. I'm 5'9" and have a medium build, around 190 Lbs. Overall the Jeep is exactly what I wanted and all of the surprises have been good so far. I'm very glad I bought it and I'm looking forward to driving it in comparison after the lift.
Dave likes this.

Last edited by angelis_digital; 05-01-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Administrator

The KJ looks good in the pic. Glad you had a good and safe trip.

Dave

Need More Stuff..

Become a Supporting Member
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/payments.php
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Bro. It was a nice ride. I love the Liberty. I started out a rag top Jeep guy, but you can't beat windows and a roof with AC to get away from the elements and sun beating down on you. It's a better DD and it's got plenty of power. I love it.
TwoBobsKJ likes this.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Damn UPS...

I had everything lined up and they go and lose my coils and tape the box back up. Now Martin has to fight with them and I'm out $200, I overpayed for "two day" shipping. You think if all they do is ship they could get their job right and get the parts where they're addressed or at least admit when they're wrong and not make you fight them tooth and nail to get them to do their job right...

I ordered a set of coils, out of pocket, from a local distributor and I've got to figure out what to do with the pile of parts I've accumulated. I've gone over budget now due to this mishap. I might get my money back but I'm not counting on it. I guess I'm going to get some tools and sit this out in the driveway...
Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Click on Embed Codes and copy the one under Full Image (Linked) BBCode.
profdlp likes this.